Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kachjc
http://www.business-standard.com/art...0700233_1.html

Hopefully this develops and Indigo joins Oneworld- they are nearly carrying 1 in 3 Indian passengers so they will be a good member to add
This portion of the article makes me think this is unlikely (although nothing is impossible):

"However, unlike in the Jet-Etihad code sharing where both the parties were full-service carriers, in this case, Qatar is a full-service player and IndiGo a low-cost carrier (LCC). Typically, there are difficulties in forging such an agreement between an LCC and a full-service player, given the varying needs of the two models."
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More rumors:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...on-ceo-aa.html
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Royal Air Maroc will join oneworld?

This is the source from France news that, Royal Air Maroc will join oneworld. Anyone can translate for me? coz, i dont understand.
Thanks
Source:
http://www.lesoir-echos.com/la-ram-d...conomie/74279/
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
anyone can translate to me? about Royal Air Maroc will join oneworld

Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
God no...

But then again, EY and QR were part of Gulf Air long time ago. So if that happens it won't surprise me.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
If EY joins jet airways could follow soon.
QR and EY would challenge emirates through oneworld alliance
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
If EY joins jet airways could follow soon.
QR and EY would challenge emirates through oneworld alliance
And QF......?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
And QF......?
Good question!
If the news is true and EY joins I can see it as a sort of merge between QR and EY in order to challenge EK which could form with QF out of OW and eventually LH a big alliance maybe entering in star.
This would be the worst scenario in my opinion, if they have to add another Gulf carrier it should be EK which may form the merge with QR that Al Baker wants.
Furthermore EY has strong code shares with ST members.

In any case it will be a mess
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:14 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by lokron1125
This is the source from France news that, Royal Air Maroc will join oneworld. Anyone can translate for me? coz, i dont understand.
Thanks
Source:
Welcome to FT!

I've gone ahead and used an online translator (Bing) for this page so Anglophones can read it. I'm also combining this thread with the existing speculative "next member" thread.

Translation here.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gardyloo

Translation here.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Thanks!!!

Looks like it will be the next member from the translation.

Also seems Iberia will be the sponsor?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Thanks!!!

Looks like it will be the next member from the translation.

Also seems Iberia will be the sponsor?
This is a fantastic news! Ram has been rumored for a long time and now it seems they'll finally join.
Let's wait for the official announcement but it's likely they'll be sponsored by Iberia
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Good question!
If the news is true and EY joins I can see it as a sort of merge between QR and EY in order to challenge EK which could form with QF out of OW and eventually LH a big alliance maybe entering in star.
This would be the worst scenario in my opinion, if they have to add another Gulf carrier it should be EK which may form the merge with QR that Al Baker wants.
Furthermore EY has strong code shares with ST members.

In any case it will be a mess
All this talk of a merger between QR and either EK or EY seems far-fetched. All are owned by their respective governments, with fierce economic and tribal rivalries. I don't see it.

It would seem that QR would have the most to lose (along with BA, QF, and EK (assuming that EK would lobby QF to oppose an entry by EY)) by EY joining oneworld; if Al-Baker has enough of a vision that, in the long run, alliance would strengthen both carriers, it might be possible to allow EY in, but I don't see it happening, either.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
All this talk of a merger between QR and either EK or EY seems far-fetched. All are owned by their respective governments, with fierce economic and tribal rivalries. I don't see it.

It would seem that QR would have the most to lose (along with BA, QF, and EK (assuming that EK would lobby QF to oppose an entry by EY)) by EY joining oneworld; if Al-Baker has enough of a vision that, in the long run, alliance would strengthen both carriers, it might be possible to allow EY in, but I don't see it happening, either.
I was quite surprised by the news and we also have to see if that is true as it sounds strange to me that a CEO reveals a journalist strategic plans that aren't official yet.
If EY joins oneworld would have the strongest position in the Middle East, the same ST has in China.
I don't see a real benefit to have EY into oneworld, in terms of network and geographical position it wouldn't add anything.
IMO EK would fit better, but I can't understand why they'd want another member from the gulf. I'd focus much more on recruiting a Chinese airline and fill the gap in the region which are underserved.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:24 am

I doubt QANTAS will leave Oneworld

they cannot go to star
Singapore airlines is heavily invested into Virgin
they cannot go to Sky Team- Delta and Virgin have a very strong relationshi[

it is silly considering Oneworld dominates the corporate travel market

and they cannot go alone- cause well they are an end rather than a transit market

also EK relationship recently has shown to not have improved QANTAS financial performance so that relationship may thaw
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: LANPASS
EY makes sense only if you consider that getting them into OW, would almost secure 9W, and the desired presence in India,into the alliance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.