Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:06 pm

bumped. so.. right now we have UL & QR still in process. and MH now already joined.
so, possibly next would be..

- Hainan - Hongkong Airlines / Air China - Shenzen Airlines - Air Macau
- Philippine Airlines
- TAM
- Tunisair
- Royal Air Maroc
- Some european airlines (maybe LOT, Adria, Croatia, Aegean / Olympic (or both if they are merged), or MeridianaFly)

+ Mexicana comes back (maybe)
+ Possibly Arik Air & IndiGo / Kingfisher
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Spirow
bumped. so.. right now we have UL & QR still in process. and MH now already joined.
so, possibly next would be..

- Hainan - Hongkong Airlines / Air China - Shenzen Airlines - Air Macau
- Philippine Airlines
- TAM
- Tunisair
- Royal Air Maroc
- Some european airlines (maybe LOT, Adria, Croatia, Aegean / Olympic (or both if they are merged), or MeridianaFly)

+ Mexicana comes back (maybe)
+ Possibly Arik Air & IndiGo / Kingfisher
Well, you can add US Airways to this list, although the brand itself may go away. PAL is dependent on CAT II status being lifted. Getting Air China AND Hainan would be rather difficult. In the event of a defection of Air China to Oneworld, Star Alliance would likely grab Hainan. There isn't any particular reason for LOT, Croatia or any of the other small Star Alliance European to defect to Oneworld. I also wouldn't get my hopes up for Kingfisher.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I think it's time for a china based airline to join, most depends on CX and state approval. TAM is likely to join soon and may be the next member to be announced (apart from US integration into AA coming tomorrow). I don't see the necessity of a North Africa carrier as OW has RJ, IB and soon QR to serve the market. For Europe it depends on what AB is going to do in the future, as they could be forced to switch to ST. I'd love to see IAG taking over AZ and make it be part of OW, but that's just a fantasy and an unrealizable dream of an Italian
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
In China,
its either
Air China defects to oneworld to join Cathay, then one of Southern/Eastern or Hainan move to Star
or...
Hainan joins oneworld and Cathay accepts it
or...
Cathay dumps oneworld to move to Star with parent and one of Hainan/Eastern or Southern join oneworld

Either way it will probably be messy,
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
We have enough defections from Star, please do not take away CA.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by moa999
In China,
its either
Air China defects to oneworld to join Cathay, then one of Southern/Eastern or Hainan move to Star
or...
Hainan joins oneworld and Cathay accepts it
or...
Cathay dumps oneworld to move to Star with parent and one of Hainan/Eastern or Southern join oneworld

Either way it will probably be messy,
The second option would probably the best one as it doesn't require upheavals, considering BMI and (probably) TAM have switched from Star to OW a third movement seems unlikely.
China Southern may decide to switch from ST. It codeshares with QF (I'm not sure) and I read BA might start codesharing too.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:36 am
Suspended

It does appear:

AA is trying on Hainan (HU)
BA is in talking with CZ
QF is in relationship with MU
and CX is in bed with CA

Another 2-4 years for announcement I guess. Unless a defect happens sooner.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
But, will CX actually persuade Air China (by its Shareholder identity) and sponsor CA to Oneworld? If yes, then Oneworld wins the China Market and HU may join *A.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by derek2010
But, will CX actually persuade Air China (by its Shareholder identity) and sponsor CA to Oneworld? If yes, then Oneworld wins the China Market and HU may join *A.
A very difficult task and has failed few years back.

The consensus is that as long as the current CAAC boss is still attached to his position or influence, there would be no chance for CX to take the leap again.

The admiration of the Northern Chinese political elites toward Germany will always be there to influence the alliance choice of the flag carrier. Some of the conservative politicians or bureaucratic will always see the alliance issue as a geopolitical play. Basically CX has no chance to take CA in oneworld in political term, unless there is a major fallout between CA and LH. A fallout between CA and its biggest transpacific partner UA could lead the rethink of CA's position too, but highly unlikely. Commercial terms? Maybe. But that would risk CX to be fully taken over by CA in short and medium terms.

Overall I do not see it happening at all although I wish it could.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
German political and industrial elite has invested far too much effort and capital to forge a strong and durable relationship with China, so LH will do whatever it takes to ensure that CA remains in * fold. CA would probably defect if it finds * cripples their future plans, whatever they are. The fact that quite a few airlines are quitting * for whatever reasons it may be, seems to indicate the pull of that alliance is losing momentum, so perhaps there is a chance that CA will exit the alliance. Contrary to the consensus on the forum I think that, were CA going to quit, they will do to enter a partnership with one of the ME carriers, probably EK, rather than going together with CX in OW (and again: CA is not yet a controlling shareholder of CX, Swire still is, and any attempt of getting CX subsumed is not gonna to be easy matter, both politically and financially).
OW undoubtedly has got a lot of momentum lately, plus the driving forces behind it, BA and AA, are clearly looking for a mainland partner, after securing SE Asia and ME. CX will not have much to say, except to prepare for the eventuality and negotiate a best possible deal with the new entrant. I do not think CZ will make it for the simple reason they are too much on the back of CX backyard, MU is the strongest candidate for a switch, given the past relationship with OW members and the rather curious way they got into ST. QR could also end having a lot of influence on the final choice, since they need a partner in the area.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moa999
Cathay dumps oneworld to move to Star ....
Not a chance, IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Spirow
Originally Posted by rurouni212
There isn't any particular reason for LOT, Croatia or any of the other small Star Alliance European to defect to Oneworld.
Yeah LO, JP, and OU are all LH-controlled pretty much, so virtually no chance I believe. IG may be possible.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by derek2010
Years ago I remember seeing a new report that CX wanted CA to join OW instead of *A during CA's board meeting (after CA announced to join *A but before the process was completed I believe), yet that proposal was rejected in the board meeting.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Why would CA leave *A? They just got one of their subsidiaries Shenzhen Airlines into *A and are sponsoring BR to join *A in June.

Why wouldn't CX leave oneworld? QF and MU are in the process of setting up Jetstar Hong Kong. Does that not upset CX? They have also teamed up with NZ. Without them, oneworld can get HU all they want.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Feb 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
should CX persuade NZ to leave *A and join OW? for better cooperation among HKG-AKL routes?
Also, how can OW expand in China market?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.