Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kamiao
Full merger between CX and CA? I just don't see that will ever happen.
The world has its say: In China anything can happen.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:15 am

OS to OW
OW already have NIKI for austrian market.

IAG wants TP for its LIS-Brazil/America routes. LH has no power over the sale so they will have to outbid IAG if they really want to keep TP in Star alliance, and it won't come cheap. If LH wins IAG will make sure LH paid a hefty price for it.

With LH's unimpressive track record in owning child carriers(BD, OS, SN), TP's success under the Luft-umbrella is not necessarily assured. I could see IAG starting a new Portuguese venture starting with a few routes to S. America, but having the power of LATAM's feed.
maybe what i said before just theory. But i still doubt on that as it will be monopolistic and will create unbalanced situation between 3 alliances.

BD won't be joining OW, and BE already operates routes for AY as Flybe Nordic, and a UK route for BA.
Are you referring to BD's Ireland routes? BD won't be joining OW. They will be assimilated in to BA and its already starting. Once BD is completely merged, BA won't waste those slots on Ireland runs. They will most likely continue with the EI codeshare between Ireland-UK.
About BD, we don't know what will be happen later. Maybe adsorbed into BA, maybe as separate operation from BA (but still in one group). We don't know. But directly or not, BD will be part of OW later.

I made assumptions based if BD will be kept as separate operation from BA. But if BD adsorbed into BA, there still the chances for BE or EI to join as you said.

About EI, no. I referring about EI's british market (because Ireland & England are closer).

KA is useless as it doesn't not operate any domestic routes!
Maybe they're useless, but don't forget that CX is mainly long haul, so at least KA will help CX on some regional routes.

Both BA and AA Management have repeatedly state that OneWorld needs a domestic Chinese partner. The only one left is Hainan Airlines. Should CX could not accompanist its grand ambition of lure Air China into OneWorld by 2013 I see a great chance for fast track of Hainan Airlines to OneWorld.
Let's see..

If CA join, OW will be covered much at China as they're pretty big + bonus Shenzen Airlines & Air Macau (if allowed to join as separate operation) *but on these 2, maybe will be difficult as they're closer to Hong Kong. But the risk is, BR progress to join *A will be difficult as they've trust them as mentor.

if HU join, the same thing will be happen (though not much as their network aren't bigger as CA). But they must do something with HX/UO, that it means, HU will probably lost HK market if HX/UO join another alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Yes, OS is in trouble but it won't be sold. The main brand may get bankrupt, but LH will transfer all operation to Tyrolean. No chance for OS joining an other Alliance.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by Spirow
OW already have NIKI for austrian market.
Yes, but I can't stand HG's god-awful horsefly branding. I was hoping HG would continue making it harder for OS until they became a candidate for a LH yard sale.

maybe what i said before just theory. But i still doubt on that as it will be monopolistic and will create unbalanced situation between 3 alliances.
It would be no more monopolistic than the French market. I'm not saying that IAG won't have to make concessions in such a deal, because they definitely will.

Firstly, IAG will have address the concerns of the Portuguese government by guaranteeing network independence from the IB hubs, separate brand identity, and some commitment to LIS. That would be just to satisfy Lisbon.

For EU approval, I would imagine that some capacity at LIS would have to be surrendered for any potential competitors(S4?). Any idea of a joint venture between TP and IB would be shot down as well. They will have to act independently on pricing even though owned by IAG.

About BD, we don't know what will be happen later. Maybe adsorbed into BA, maybe as separate operation from BA (but still in one group). We don't know. But directly or not, BD will be part of OW later.
BD is definitely being absorbed. Some may want to hold out hope, and that's fine. However, the writing is on the wall. BA has already started placing BA flight numbers on BD flights. In addition, BD aircraft will be repainted in the BA livery. BD is done as a brand.

BMI marketers face redundancy after brand axed

Several BMI marketers’ jobs are at risk after new owner and British Airways parent company International Airlines Group (IAG) confirmed that it is scrap the BMI mainline brand.

The integration will also see all BMI mainline aircraft repainted in British Airways’ livery. Sub-brands bmibaby and BMI Regional are up for sale.
But they must do something with HX/UO, that it means, HU will probably lost HK market if HX/UO join another alliance.
I propose they convert HX/UO into a holding company and lease the former HX/OU metal to HU for mainland flights. This will keep the metal out of another alliances hands and solve the dispute with CX(other than CX's desire for CA to join OW).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
@Spirow:

Please respect your fellow posters to quote them correctly, i.e. click "quote" or "Multi-quote" buttons. Your post has six quotes, none of which can be identified. Quoting a rumour posted by someone else, without proper source, makes the interpretion of data harder for us all.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:40 am

US Airways announces plans to take over American
April 20, 2012 9:38 AM

(MoneyWatch) US Airways (LCC) has filed an 8K with the SEC to begin the process of a takeover of American Airlines, which is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

According to the SEC, "Form 8-K is the: 'current report' companies must file with the SEC to announce major events that shareholders should know about.

American Airlines has said it wishes to emerge from bankruptcy as a standalone carrier. American Airlines parent AMR, which filed for bankruptcy protection on Nov. 29, 2011, is trying to slash its annual labor costs by $1.25 billion and emerge from court supervision. Next week, the struggling airline will try to convince a bankruptcy judge to let it void existing union contracts and impose new ones to secure those spending cuts.

A letter to employees by US Airways CEO Doug Parker reads in part:

Today, we filed a statement (a form called an 8-K) with the Securities and Exchange Commission disclosing that we have signed agreements with the three unions that represent nearly 55,000 American Airlines employees. These unions are the Allied Pilots Association (APA), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents all of American Airlines' mechanics and fleet service employees. Shortly after our disclosure, these three unions issued a public statement announcing their support of a US Airways-American Airlines merger and that they have agreed to terms that would govern collective bargaining agreements for their members at the merged airline. I want to explain to you why we have done this and what it means.

First of all, today's news does not mean we have agreed to merge with American Airlines. It only means we have reached agreements with these three unions on what their collective bargaining agreements would look like after a merger, and that they would like to work with us to make a merger a reality. To get to an actual merger, many more things must happen including gaining the support of AMR's creditors, its management team and its Board of Directors. But this is obviously an important first step along that path and we are hopeful we can all work together to make this happen.
A joint statement issued Friday by The Transport Workers Union (TWU), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Allied Pilots Association (APA) read in part:

"A merger between American Airlines and US Airways is the best strategy and fastest option to complete the restructuring of American Airlines, enabling it to exit the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process..."

According to the labor group statement, the merger "provides the best path for all constituencies, including employees of both American Airlines and US Airways."

© 2012 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Labor resolves it's issues first? Things just got alot more interesting....

Update:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...YR01-M2S8W.DTL

The combined company would keep the American name, be based in Dallas and, unsurprisingly, stay in the oneworld alliance.

Last edited by rurouni212; Apr 20, 2012 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:29 am
Suspended

US and AA

It should really happen when AA exited BK. if US merge with AA now it will only create a giant airline controlled by grumpy labour unions with Luke warm service attitude and a dying future due to heavy union influence and highest labour cost in airline industry. It is unwise for both party.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There's extensive threads on that in both the AA and US forums.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...d-threads.html
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: GF Black
The way I see things are going in some certain direction, I think that Etihad (EY) has revamped its FFP program, levels, benefits and tiers along the process of (maybe) joining OneWorld Alliance. After the addition of Air Berlin and most of Etihad's parnters in the alliance, I think Etihad might be on the right track to join in. Can't wait to see a Gulf operator join *A or OW.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by lunardream
The way I see things are going in some certain direction, I think that Etihad (EY) has revamped its FFP program, levels, benefits and tiers along the process of (maybe) joining OneWorld Alliance. After the addition of Air Berlin and most of Etihad's parnters in the alliance, I think Etihad might be on the right track to join in. Can't wait to see a Gulf operator join *A or OW.
Etihad and Qatar will probably go into onewolrd and star respectively. Neither has the scale necessary to compete with Emirates. While relations with some other alliance members might not be fantastic, its better to have them with you then against you.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by lunardream
The problem with EY joining Oneworld is the seemingly close relationship EY and DJ (Virgin Australia) have. Qantas would never accept such an arrangement.

I would love to be proven wrong though.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Given their current code-shares with AA, IB and the Chilean courts decision to allow smaller carriers access to LANPass, I could see Pluna joining as a regional player.

I think that Etihad (EY) has revamped its FFP program, levels, benefits and tiers along the process of (maybe) joining OneWorld Alliance.
While I would like to see EY join, I wouldn't want to lose RJ. I just wonder if the two will end up merging, and what would the network look like if they did.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Meezzio
The problem with EY joining Oneworld is the seemingly close relationship EY and DJ (Virgin Australia) have. Qantas would never accept such an arrangement.

I would love to be proven wrong though.
QF used to have a partnership with EY. Then it got ended somehow and EY created a closer relationship with DJ then they had with QF.
Does anyone know why the EY-QF partnership ended?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
IAG CEO Willie Walsh has raised the possibility of a Middle Eastern carrier joining Oneworld:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...pe=companyNews

Originally Posted by Reuters
Walsh has led a charge among European airlines against what the industry regards as over-regulation and excess costs, while heavyweight Gulf carriers like Emirates, Abu Dhabi's Etihad and Qatar Airways mop up traffic for fast-growing East-West hubs.

Walsh defended the record of Gulf carriers from charges of unfair competition levelled by rivals such as Air France.

"I am actually somewhat different from my counterparts around Europe. I have no problem with what Middle East carriers are doing. Rather than be critical I think we should look to them as an example of what can be done."

However, he questioned whether competition would support all three Gulf majors, whose expansion accounts for a quarter of unfilled orders for large aircraft at Airbus and Boeing Co, and he made a pitch for some to join alliances like BA's oneworld.

"I personally believe the industry has matured to a point where we'll see Middle East carriers joining the alliances this year. I'd be amazed if this doesn't happen. Within oneworld we have been debating it. To my mind they are the key players."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.