FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/908991-who-will-next-oneworld-member-new-membership-announcements-merged.html)

Supersonic Swinger Jan 13, 2009 9:45 am

Originally Posted by JALlover (Post 11061967)
I mean..if they do want asian airlines, wouldnt Phillipine or Garuda have higher chance?

Korean look like they are sponsoring Garuda into SkyTeam - http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...n-skyteam.html

Originally Posted by hardiwv (Post 11061967)
GOL could be an option to access the important Brazilian market considering GRU is the hub with the most OW players in the region: AA (MIA, DFW, JFK), LA (SCL, LIM, EZE), BA (LHR, EZE), JAL (NRT, JFK), IB (MAD). But I am sure ST is also after GOL.

SkyTeam are "talking" to Gol - http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...n-skyteam.html

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 11061967)
Well, with CO joining *A, maybe US will drop out and join OW?

Wouldn't that knock a hole in OW's claim to be the world's leading "quality" airline alliance...?

mysteryman2007 Jan 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Some other potentially interesting additions, though just speculation on my part:

EVA Airways - codeshare with American, though unable to redeem miles. Would be "interesting" as it would beef up service to SE/E Asia, but is somewhat redundant to CX.

Air Pacific - has a relationship with AA and QF already. Relatively logical and beefs up Pacific service.

JetStar - Would be a great addition and majorly beef up SE Asia (considering all the routes and sub brands).

Sri Lankan Airlines - flew them quite a bit recently and while not amazing they are decent and offer some pretty unique connections. Could be a nice addition in supplement Indian ocean.

brahms77 Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm

If someone from *A leaves and joins OW, I don't want SQ to join. They will only create problems in the system thanks to their pride. It's already creating problems in *A system... with many refusals, aircraft surcharges on RTW tickets, etc. :td:

There is no doubt that SQ is a top class airline, but having an attitude does not benefit the team play.

soorox Jan 13, 2009 9:01 pm

As for SE Asia;

VN - Great ties with Cathy Pacifc & now JAL ;)
- codes shares with, AA, JL, CX & QF
- full asia miles member (don't know if it has something to do alliances)
- OW's answer to actually have a SE Asian member
- covers most of SE Asia

If they are actually planning to fly to London-Heathrow (rumours) then they could also easily code-share with BA, & direct flights to LAX or SFO can boost it's ties with AA.

swiss_global Jan 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I'd rather wonder if OW (or any of their members) would rescue MA ... they seem to be in some trouble but are very helpful for OW in terms of coverage of Central/Eastern Europe. Would they rescue MA or rather look for a new member in this region?

JU, PS, VV or J2 come into my mind. All four are reliable airlines with a product which is up to OW standards. VV's network is perhaps the most interesting one.

brahms77 Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by soorox (Post 11071393)
As for SE Asia;

VN - Great ties with Cathy Pacifc & now JAL ;)
- codes shares with, AA, JL, CX & QF
- full asia miles member (don't know if it has something to do alliances)
- OW's answer to actually have a SE Asian member
- covers most of SE Asia

If they are actually planning to fly to London-Heathrow (rumours) then they could also easily code-share with BA, & direct flights to LAX or SFO can boost it's ties with AA.

VN would be nice. Though their product (hardware) is a bit behind, it's still nice and I presume that their service is as good as TG.

Also, their premium fares ex ICN to Europe is absolutely attractive... I've seen business class fares to CDG etc. ex ICN at around KRW 2,000,000 all inclusive.

Metropolitan Airlines Jan 15, 2009 11:49 pm

How about 9W and IT in India?
9W has FF partner with OW members such as CX, AA & QF...

Anyway, it appears that VN is joining ST, according to Wiki.
Think MH, 3K and PG would be the only options to expend OW's network in SE Asia.

kiwiandrew Jan 16, 2009 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines (Post 11086297)
How about 9W and IT in India?
9W has FF partner with OW members such as CX, AA & QF...

and with Skyteam members AF KL NW ...

and with Star members NH OS LH SA LX UA and future member SN...

and with a host of non-aligned airlines VS GF EK EY

http://www.jetairways.com/Cultures/e...culture%5Een-U

so I would not read too much into their current memberships - I think they are a bit like AS - they sleep with everyone but are not prepared to settle down with anyone ... just yet . In any case I really think they need to first see whether they can survive the next couple of years before they worry about long term plans

moa999 Jan 16, 2009 1:11 am

On some of the above.

FJ (Air Pacific) - Part owned by QF. Very small airline. Can't see them spending the money to join
JQ/3K/VF/BL (Jetstar) - Fully/ part owned by QF. An LCC network -- does not fit within the oneworld brand criteria of full service airlines (see EI). Also LCC systems would need massive expensive overhaul to fit within network
UL (Sri Lankan) - Still part owned by Emirates although massive falling out. Emirates appointed CEO sacked after refusing to boot passengers off flight for Govt officials. Would put it in the don't touch it category
VN (Vietnam) - Maybe, but I think QF would be vetoing it due to BL (Jetstar Pacific) ownership

My personal view assuming Emirates is a no-go is
EY Etihad
GF Gulf Air (some links to ow)

Metropolitan Airlines Jan 17, 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 11086448)
On some of the above.

FJ (Air Pacific) - Part owned by QF. Very small airline. Can't see them spending the money to join
JQ/3K/VF/BL (Jetstar) - Fully/ part owned by QF. An LCC network -- does not fit within the oneworld brand criteria of full service airlines (see EI). Also LCC systems would need massive expensive overhaul to fit within network
UL (Sri Lankan) - Still part owned by Emirates although massive falling out. Emirates appointed CEO sacked after refusing to boot passengers off flight for Govt officials. Would put it in the don't touch it category
VN (Vietnam) - Maybe, but I think QF would be vetoing it due to BL (Jetstar Pacific) ownership

My personal view assuming Emirates is a no-go is
EY Etihad
GF Gulf Air (some links to ow)

JetStar Network (JQ/3K/BL): If OneWorld really have to maintain as a Full-Service only Alliance, then OneWorld should consider to kick AA out.

Regarding to Emirates, is that possible for OW to invite EK into the network? That could be a great plus to the current network, especially towards the hole in Africa and a stronger connection bewteen continents.

millionmiler Jan 17, 2009 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines (Post 11092653)
JetStar Network (JQ/3K/BL): If OneWorld really have to maintain as a Full-Service only Alliance, then OneWorld should consider to kick AA out.

Without AA Oneworld would break up and cease to exist. Its not the best airline within the alliance but it is a full service airline.

kebosabi Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Regarding to Emirates, is that possible for OW to invite EK into the network? That could be a great plus to the current network, especially towards the hole in Africa and a stronger connection bewteen continents.

Kicking out a founding OW member and a key airline that delivers intra-North America and NA-to-Caribbean & Central/SA America route would be fatal to OW.

sdsearch Jan 17, 2009 12:35 pm

If OneWorld really have to maintain as a Full-Service only Alliance, then OneWorld should consider to kick AA out.

On what basis do you consider AA not to be full-service? Because it operates RJs? :confused:

Well, at least it operates two-class flights on 1-hour runs within some states like LAX-SFO. That's more than can be said for domestic UK operations of BA!

On that basis, why shouldn't BA be kicked out of OW because of not being full-service even to the degree of AA (within its home market)???

mosburger Jan 18, 2009 3:53 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 11065169)
China: China Eastern
Competition from ST heavy, but MU would be add lots of intra-Chinese coverage from their mainland Chinese hub of PVG, which already has AA, BA, CX, JL and QF flights to there. ^

Not only that but also routes with extremely heavy traffic to Seoul and elsewhere in Korea. Right now there is not a single OW airline flying Beijing/Shanghai - Seoul/rest of Korea nonstop.

Only way to use OW on these routes would be to backtrack to Hongkong or then take a detour via Japan.

Dan72 Jan 18, 2009 5:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 11094074)
Well, at least it operates two-class flights on 1-hour runs within some states like LAX-SFO. That's more than can be said for domestic UK operations of BA!

I like AA and in its market (NA) I think it does well.

But I think this comment above about BA is a bit preposterous. BA's domestic flights may be one class but they offer much more sevice than AA flights of a similar length (hot breakfast on 80 minute flight, free alcohol drinks, free checked baggage for all).

D