Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by lokron1125
For sure, CX will lose some customer to CZ. However, CX also attract those passenger in CZ who are holding premium status and would like to fly more premium. I’m sure CX would like to attract those passenger.

Even CX and CA hold each other stake, but they also have competiton on Australia, Europe & North American route. So, I don’t think CX have problem with CZ.
uh
CA's hub is far away from CX's hub
not much conflict
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
With QR being given the green light by the EU to purchase a 49% stake in Meridiana let's hope they join. They won't immediately add much to the alliance, but with Alitalia in such a precarious situation, Meridiana could potentially grow?
Meridiana today announced rebranding to AirItaly
and expansion with new 737MAXs and 787-8s plus some temporary 330s from QR

Definitely applying the blowtorch to Alitalia which is currently on the block

No mention of oneworld at the press conference though
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by moa999

Not much more here: Air Italy expands as UAE-backed Alitalia goes bankrupt | Italy News | Al Jazeera
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF

Maybe. Not much link to existing oneworld members though. Hub at MXP. Other oneworld hubs they fly to are DME (S7) and LGW (BA).
Maybe if they move to LHR and after they start flights to JFK and MIA (June), they might be a better fit for oneworld. Though they have fewer destinations then AB did.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
I could see Air Italy and Aer Lingus both coming to OW in a few years. That would bolster OW in Europe which is much needed after AB.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:23 pm

I watched the Q&A part of the youtube video and there was a specific part dealing this question. Al Baker made it clear that he wants Air Italy to be part of Oneworld as soon as possible.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
Al Baker made it clear that he wants Air Italy to be part of Oneworld as soon as possible.
Excellent news.
I wonder if they will look to invest in lounges, particularly at Milan Malpensa. They seem to use third party lounges everywhere.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

I wonder if they will look to invest in lounges, particularly at Milan Malpensa. They seem to use third party lounges everywhere.
They will but only in the non-Schengen area.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
I found a news mentioneded “oneworld” with Italian.

//quote//
Sull’ingresso in un’alleanza globale, č Oneworld quella indicata (la stessa di Qatar Airways e di Iag), seguendo i passaggi necessari di certificazione: “Air Italy potrŕ entrare rispettando i requisiti richiesti, sarŕ stimolante, l’Italia non č attualmente molto presidiata da Oneworld”.
//unquote//
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lokron1125
I found a news mentioneded “oneworld” with Italian.

//quote//
Sull’ingresso in un’alleanza globale, č Oneworld quella indicata (la stessa di Qatar Airways e di Iag), seguendo i passaggi necessari di certificazione: “Air Italy potrŕ entrare rispettando i requisiti richiesti, sarŕ stimolante, l’Italia non č attualmente molto presidiata da Oneworld”.
//unquote//
One quick google translation:

"On entry into a global alliance, Oneworld is the one indicated (the same as Qatar Airways and Iag), following the necessary certification steps: "Air Italy can enter by respecting the required requirements, it will be stimulating, Italy is not currently very manned by Oneworld "."

My understanding is they look to join oneworld if they can to fill the hole in italy/ europe for oneworld. I still hope Aer Lingus will join but I doubt it. The JV with Iberia/BA/AA is more valuable to them.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ernestnywang

I'm not sure if LO ever had its own FFP. Before joining M&M (and *A), LO was part of Qualiflyer, the mini-alliance led by SR (Swiss Air) that all used the same FFP. Nonetheless, if my memory is correct, Qualiflyer members could be distinguished using the first two codes of their membership number (QG for Qualiflyer Group, SR, SN, LO, TP, TK, etc.) depending on the channel they joined the programme from, so perhaps airlines have some say in their own members. OS went through a similar situation, switching from QG to LH M&M. Again, if my memory is right, at that time there was a big fight between LH and SR to retain the members. Something like "if you cut your QG card and mail it to LH, we will give you xxx" was going on.

LO left when QG was breaking up, so from the link below it might indicate that LO was able to offer some members the option to switch to M&M, but it is not clear. Again, if my memory is right, when QG broke up, members were given the options to join (and have miles transferred to) LX Travel Club, SN Privilege, or TP Navigator. LX Travel Club and SN Privilege were later absorbed by LH M&M, and TP's FFP is now called Victoria. Nonetheless, all programmes were still managed by the same company, what QG became, called Loyalty Gate, which is now part of ICLP.

LO: LOT POLISH AIRLINES JOINS THE MILES & MORE PROGRAM

Of course, the most likely scenario is that all members will have their miles left in LH M&M, and LO will start a new FFP (and may use Avios) and give existing LO loyal members an élite status to begin with. This is somewhat similar to the CM case recently of starting its own FFP (instead of using CO's and later UA's). The big difference is that CM is still in *A, so élite members can still redee their UAMP miles on *A carriers and enjoy benefits. If LO were to switch alliance and not able to get its loyal members' miles out, those members will be very mad, as after their membership year is over, they will not be able to enjoy benefits when redeemding on *A carriers, if they swithc loyalty from *A to LO's new alliance. This factor alone might make switching alliance more difficult, and that is the point I was trying to make.
I wonder if there has been any effort by 1W to woo LO away from Star. LO really seems to operate in the shadow of LH and 1W sorely needs a player in the middle of the European Continent with at least a little heft. As it stands now, 1Ws EU partners are all on the periphery of the continent - Spain, UK, Finland.
harri likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I wonder if there has been any effort by 1W to woo LO away from Star. LO really seems to operate in the shadow of LH and 1W sorely needs a player in the middle of the European Continent with at least a little heft. As it stands now, 1Ws EU partners are all on the periphery of the continent - Spain, UK, Finland.
It seems you missed out another OW member in Europe. S7, with hubs in Moscow & St Petersburg (Europe) and Novosibirsk (Asia). S7 would by your definition also be on the periphery of the continent, although DME, and particularly LED, are far away from the Europe/Asia border being the Ural mountains. But then again, AAs largest hubs in the US being ORD, DFW and MIA are also on the perifery of the USA.

At a brief view, the S7 route map only looks weak in European areas covered well by other OW partners, OW route map for comparison. They are however very strong in Eastern Europe (except Poland) and Central Asia, an area covered less extensive by other OW partners.

One could always wish for more coverage of the world by OW. Personally, I'd be extremely surprised to see LOT leave *A.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure I follow your logic here. MIA is peripheral for domestic US connections, yes, but MIA is principally a connection point to South America and the Caribbean from the rest of the US. DFW is about as central to the country you can get while remaining in a large O/D area, and ORD is extremely central, particularly if you consider the great circle routing from Europe/Asia to the MidWestern areas. Not to mention it being a very logical connection point from the Mid-Atlantic and NorthEast to the western half of the country.

MOW is not central to anywhere in Europe, unless you're connecting from Asia - in which case there are other options. Nor for that matter are St.Petersburg or Novosibirsk. You can argue that these hubs are well located for Europe-Asia connections, to which I have no argument, but it's not like S7 provides a strong set of options there to compete with CX/BA/QR or even AY.

Bottom line is that S7 is OW's angle into Russia and the former Soviet states in eastern Europe and Asia, but that's about it. No one is going to (without a significant price incentive) fly from Dusseldorf to Athens via Moscow (and S7 doesn't touch the UK at all - one of the largest markets in Europe).

Still, I agree that LO does not look poised to leave *A for OW any time soon.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Sorry if my ambition to use irony over the statement in the quoted post, listing only 3 of 4 OW airlines with European domicile, and also saying all of them being "on the periphery of the continent" . Listing AA's three largest hubs as peripheral in the US was a slight exaggeration, although MIA is absolutely so with regards to the continental US. Just as MIA also is a gateway for Central/South America and the Caribbean, HEL is a gateway to Asia for large parts of Europe lacking own direct connections. This "perpheral" hub is still ~3h flying time from the Europe/Asia border. Not very periferal, IMHO. Although with it's main hub in MAD, in the southwestern part of Europe, IB covers many European and worldwide destinations. For the last of the "peripheral" three, BA, with many London airports, covering a large portion of worldwide destinations, with a very heavy presence TATL.

Check again the link in my post for the map of OW destinations. Does that imply that Europe is poorly covered?

Final comment. This being FT, who wouldn't welcome a a significant price incentive to fly from Dusseldorf to Athens via Moscow?
Old May 19, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess I missed the irony.

Not disagreeing with you that AY is a reasonable Europe-Asia hub, although your point about the Europe/Asia border has me puzzled. The major Asian markets, Turkey and ME excepted, are all very far from this border. HEL is for all intents and purposes only marginally closer to where most people want to go in Asia relative to AMS/LHR/FRA etc. So I'm a bit puzzled as to your point - but to reiterate, I'm not arguing against the idea HEL is a decent place to connect to Asia from Europe.

I'm just saying that IB/BA/AY are not really well positioned for most intra-Europe connections, except from within their own localities (Iberian peninsula, Great Britain/Ireland and Scandinavia respectively) to the rest of Europe and v.v. None of those hubs are very well positioned for other European markets. I'm not saying Europe is poorly covered by OW. You *could* fly DUS-LHR-ATH but why would you beyond alliance loyalty and price indifference? Yeah it's possible but is not terribly compelling. DLH group in particular and *A in general has an advantage in this regard over everyone else.

And yes, on this forum, cpm rules (but like it or not we are firmly in the minority). And for those booking on getmethecheapestticketatanycostanddamnthelegroom.c om, sure, they aren't fussed about where they connect. But a lot of people don't see the logic in DUS-MAD/HEL/LHR/DME-ATH.

And with apologies for dragging this thread so far OT, nothing further to add.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.