Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Premium Economy and DONEx/AONEx

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
LAN Premium Economy and DONEx/AONEx

I posted about this here, but I don't know if the regulars of this forum frequent the "Other North/South American Airlines" forum.

It looks like LAN is introducing a "Premium Economy" class instead of Business class on intra South America flights starting September 15. Booking code is W. Those of us on AONEx/DONEx tickets that have been downgraded to Economy should probably be rebooked in "W" now, but the oneworld Explorer rules don't really cover this scenario, do they?

oneworld4u?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The rules do cover it (but not very well). Currently you fly in economy. Hopefully the rule will change to allow premium economy.

If it changes before my trip, given I was initially ticketed in D and now in Y would I end up in W (and would that require a reissue of the ticket)? I suspect it will be up to me to plead my case at check in

I have 4 long intra-south america flights on DONE4 impacted, and a couple more on another business class ticket
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
RTW newbie - AONE5 - downgrade to Economy

As part of a RTW we are flying LAN Ecuador on the 2nd October from SCL - GYE and they appear to have downgraded us from D (as no F) to B. We spoke to AA and they say the A320 has been downgraded to economy only, but for some reason you can't book rows 1-3. Bit disappointing for a 5 hour flight!!

Anyone know why this is and if there is anything we can do?

Thanks,

MArcus.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 11, 2008 at 5:19 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Check out this thread.

Basically rows 1-3 have been converted to "Premium Economy", but according to the rules, DONEx and AONEx book in either Y or L (not entirely clear), while in practice most of us have been downgraded to B. There is no provision in the rules for 2 class flights where the 2 classes are W and Y.

My trip is still in 2009 so I am hoping that by then the rules are fixed so we can at least book in W class, but no one really knows what will happen right now. If they leave us in Economy I will probably just buy a South America pass, and use those 3 segments in premium classes in another continent.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 11, 2008 at 5:24 pm Reason: remove circular link now that threads have been merged
Old Sep 11, 2008, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

astonmartinv8 - your flight is before my 6 flights (December/January) so I wish you luck and will be watching with interest.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
DONEx and AONEx book in either Y or L (not entirely clear)
For LA/LP/XL/4M DOMESTIC you book AONEx and DONEx in Y, LONEx in L. As mentioned, no word of the new class.

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
There is no provision in the rules for 2 class flights where the 2 classes are W and Y.
Sort-of: LONEx fares can be upgraded for cash to premium economy, and such segments book in T (QF/BA) or W (JL). The rule also states elsewhere that "NOTE 1 - FOR FLIGHTS WHERE FIRST OR BUSINESS CLASS IS NOT OFFERED OR AVAILABLE PASSENGERS MAY TRAVEL IN A LOWER CLASS IN THE APPLICABLE BOOKING CODE FOR THAT LOWER CLASS. THE FARE FOR HIGHEST CLASS USED APPLIES WITHOUT COMPENSATION." which would imply that you could voluntarily downgrade to T (QF/BA) or W (JL). The problem is that the rule is silent on LA/LP/XL/4M changes.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
For LA/LP/XL/4M DOMESTIC you book AONEx and DONEx in Y, LONEx in L. As mentioned, no word of the new class.
The thing is, none of my affected flights are domestic, and I believe Premium Economy is only being offered on international narrowbody flights within South America. Since the rules don't have an exception for international LA/LP/XL/4M flights, my interpretation is that they would book in L, however they're actually using B for those of us that were rebooked.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Sure - but rebooking is a different situation than newly issued tickets. At the time of ticketing business class was available. So it is only reasonable that a booking class equally flexible is used. Indeed, arguably we should be rebooked into premium economy since at the time of ticketing we were in the highest class of service available and that should be maintained with the loss of business class. We're already losing out by not getting what was paid for, to rebook into a lower fare class that is less flexible would just rub salt into the wound.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Now that BA/QF/JL/LA all offer W class, how long till we see a WONEx?

Star also has many carriers offering premium economy including BD/SK/TG/NH/NZ so they can't be far off offering something either.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Now that BA/QF/JL/LA all offer W class, how long till we see a WONEx?
Don't be ridiculous, clearly it would be a TONEx (at least let's hope it's not a EONEx!)
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:48 pm

There is a limited rtw product, but not so RTW to be a TONEX. They are BA/QF limited (except in Europe where AY and even LH can be used). They are basically a Europe return product that gives some good flexibility in Europe and the way you can get there (Asia, Africa, Nth America, Sth America - though not all options are available from NZ).

These are TXSSN1Y products (replace X with L or H according to season). They used by quite good value out of Australia, but now they are around AUD5,000+++. There are a number of levels depending where the 'final destination' may be. They remain reasonable value out of NZ.

Pricing them out on ITA gives some interesting tid bits. If using BA codes then the non-PE flights like internal Aus & NZ and Trans Tasman (TTAS?) use a Y booking and Y in Europe on BA and AY (Though Q sometimes pops up). If booking is done basically on QF then the internal Aus & NZ and TTAS turn out to be in H on the QF flights.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Maybe not so limited; come Oct 20th, one will be able to RTW on oneworld in Y+ ...
Originally Posted by eg
MEL-LAX-LHR-SIN-MEL
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I had called the AA RTW desk this week and asked them to please look into this matter. They were not aware of LAN's Premium Economy class, and they contacted the oneworld desk. I finally got a call today from AA RTW and all our intra South America segments are now booked in W.

Now, hopefully AA will award miles on W class on LAN flights ...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:50 am
Original Poster

LAN has updated their website:

LAN Premium Economy
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by serfty
Maybe not so limited; come Oct 20th, one will be able to RTW on oneworld in Y+ ...
That is still a pale comparison to the flexibility and options available on a xONEx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.