FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   DONE5 ex-South Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/799511-done5-ex-south-africa.html)

Viajero Mar 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 9462971)
USDThirty, unless AA made a typo.

This ticket still costs less than a DONE4 I bought in Turkey 3 years ago.

Thanks for that. My initial reaction was based on faulty reading, thinking that it was $300 but even at that level I though it was reasonable. A $30 service fee per reservation is a token amount for the additional work that small office is doing. Let's hope they don't read FT! :)

Cheetah_SA Mar 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero (Post 9462152)
Those with experience here will probably agree that posts 19 & 20, plus a currency down the drain, almost heralded this (said with 20-20 hindsight, of course).

Shouldn't that be $30-$30 hindsight? ;)

Originally Posted by Viajero (Post 9463314)
Thanks for that. My initial reaction was based on faulty reading, thinking that it was $300 but even at that level I though it was reasonable. A $30 service fee per reservation is a token amount for the additional work that small office is doing. Let's hope they don't read FT! :)

Still, given the parlous state of our currency, just think how much that is converted to ZAR!! Just joking. It really is a token on tickets costing many thousands of USD. For some perspective, USD30 would buy a meal for one (possibly even with wine) in a very good Cape Town eatery. And we think restuarants are hideously overpriced here!

Gardyloo Mar 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Just as a data point, I got pricing from AA CPT on my next DONE4 (19 flight segments) today. Taxes and fees came to 10.2% of the base price.

Cheetah_SA Mar 27, 2008 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 9471112)
Just as a data point, I got pricing from AA CPT on my next DONE4 (19 flight segments) today. Taxes and fees came to 10.2% of the base price.

Sounds very reasonable. No LHR stopovers in there, I take it?

Gardyloo Mar 27, 2008 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 9472961)
Sounds very reasonable. No LHR stopovers in there, I take it?

Several passes through T5 (be afraid) and a couple of forced overnights in Hoppa Bus land, but no 24h+ stops.

PETEFLYS Mar 31, 2008 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 9471112)

what was the final cost of the ticket??

satprof Mar 31, 2008 4:39 am

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS (Post 9493381)

... and how long did you have to wait to get the pricing?

TIA.

MiamiBeach Mar 31, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by satprof (Post 9493408)

TIA.

Pricing is not done by the GSA in Cape Town, the AA Around the World Desk "sends" the itinerary to Dublin for pricing. Usually takes a few hours, or a day if done later in the day USA time. When we were finally ready to issue, the PNR was created by the AA Around the World desk in Dallas on a Thursday afternoon. Friday morning it was priced by Dublin, and by 9am eastern time, the e-ticket was issued. Of course a hand-written paper ticket will take a lot longer, but try to get the GSA to do as little as possible (i.e. JUST issue the ticket, don't get them to build the itinerary, etc.)

Our final price for a DONE5 (16 segments with LHR stopover) was:
Code:

FARE  ZAR  45340
TAX  ZAR    5478   
TOTAL ZAR  50818

Gardyloo Mar 31, 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS (Post 9493381)

Originally Posted by satprof (Post 9493408)

TIA.

Sorry - been traveling :eek:

In ZAR

Base 39,950
Tax 4,090
Total 44,040

24 hours, not counting weekends and timezone lag.

Just for illumination on the tax/surcharge front, here's the initial routing (changes will undoubtedly occur) -
CPT-xLHR-HEL-xLHR-MCT-xLHR-LAX//SEA-DFW-ANC-DFW-ORD-SEA-JFK-SYD-AKL-MEL-AKL-SYD-JNB-CPT