Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

New Cathay JFK-HKG EmPower still?

Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat

Does anyone know if the new 777s run on EmPower for passengers (like most of their fleet, I believe)? I have a DC adapter and I'm having a hard time finding a DC to EmPower adapeter under $100. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
New 777s have standard power plugs with 110V so you don't need an adaptor.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
<deleted>

Last edited by Viajero; Nov 28, 2007 at 9:06 am Reason: There you go. Answered already.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by tennisboy
Does anyone know if the new 777s run on EmPower for passengers (like most of their fleet, I believe)? I have a DC adapter and I'm having a hard time finding a DC to EmPower adapeter under $100. Thanks.
The IGo Juice70 is available for $85.59, with Free Shipping available, at Amazon right now. It works with all the different types of airline, car, and AC power (110VAC, 240VAC, EmPower, and the car adapter used for example by AA), and comes with a dozenish adapaters from most all notebooks. Go to www.igo.com to determine if it's compatible with your notebook, but the prices are way better at Amazon, so go there to buy (unless you get an even better price with shipping at a retailer you prefer).

The the two types of airline plugs on the Juice fit into each other, so the EmPower adapter is "inside" the car/AA adapter. So you only have two power cords, one for AC outlets (which works worldwide with just plug adapters needed) and the other for Empower/car style power.

I find it very useful as it's the only adapter I need to carry and it works no matter whose plane I get on or even in a rental car, as well as in hotels and at airport lounges (if I remembered the plug adapter for the country I'm in!).

I've used it for several years and the only reliability problem I had was when the cord that connects to my laptop got visibly frayed from being bent and banged around in my laptop bag. But it took several years to get to that point.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Wow!! The new 777s have standard plugs! Awesome. Now they better not switch planes on me. I'm on the 9AM from JFK on Friday and back on the 12pm from HKG the following Thursday. THAT IS GREAT news about the adapters. They are avail in coach, correct?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to Cathay. She said she did not know for sure, but then put me on hold for 15 min and said that "from the information showing online, it still shows the EmPower sockets".....do we know this to be false for sure (for Y class in the new 777s)??

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Seatguru says Empower (772 and 773).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

I'll be on a brand new 777. Seatguru doesn't have the arrangement yet. I'm pretty sure I'm all good with a universal plug in in Y.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Seatguru would be referring to the 777s that are used for regional haul flights, not the new 777-300ERs for long haul.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAEXP, CXGold, AFPlat, PCPlat/RA, HyattDiamond, SPGGold, MarriottGold, HertzPlat, NationalExec
I just flew the the 9am JFK-HKG yesterday, and it is on the new 777 and does have the universal plug at every Y seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.