FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Varig set to join OW!!- true??- Where do they still fly? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/643663-varig-set-join-ow-true-where-do-they-still-fly.html)

eireman Jan 5, 2007 8:39 am

Varig set to join OW!!- true??- Where do they still fly?

According to Joe Brancatelli, Varig has left ( been kicked out of Star) and will join OW at the end of January.

I find this hard to believe.

If true what advantage does it bring to OW? I thought that their route structure had been decimated. Where exactly do they still fly?

jabrams72 Jan 5, 2007 8:43 am

My guess is that this is just a misreading of this story below from the front page of www.oneworld.com, which states that as of the end of January--once * drops Varig--no other alliance will have a South American-based airline

" 02 Jan 2007
oneworld reinforces global lead as only alliance with South American airline

oneworld is to be the only global airline alliance with a member in South America from the end of January, reinforcing its position as the airline grouping of obvious choice for truly global air travel."

millionmiler Jan 5, 2007 10:18 am

Not true, although there are a few inaccurate media reports out there.

WhoME Jan 5, 2007 10:23 am

It seems a little disingenuous of OW to crow about being the "only alliance with South American airline" since *A could say the same about Africa...

Michael

Traveloguy Jan 5, 2007 10:38 am

Not quite true. BA does have it's Comair francise operating out of South Africa which is part of OW.

Whilst Comair is not South African, it does open up a few extra destinations.

millionmiler Jan 5, 2007 10:45 am

Originally Posted by WhoME (Post 6956614)
It seems a little disingenuous of OW to crow about being the "only alliance with South American airline" since *A could say the same about Africa...

Michael

Not really the same as BA does fly throughout southern Africa using their affiliate. Also, from an economic standpoint judged by relative GDP, South America is more important.

ajnaro Jan 5, 2007 1:13 pm

The local press in Rio has also reported that the new VARIG may be joining oneworld. If it's just a rumor, it certainly has got around.

ssoul Jan 5, 2007 1:19 pm

I don't think that having both TAM and Varig in OW would make sense.

eireman Jan 5, 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ssoul (Post 6957839)
I don't think that having both TAM and Varig in OW would make sense.

except that TAM is not in OW, but I wish that they were!

ajnaro Jan 5, 2007 1:38 pm

For whatever it may be worth, the local press has quoted top brass at TAM as stating that TAM is not interested in joining ANY alliance -- all TAM wants is code-share agreements with airlines that compete on TAM's international routes. Furthermore, TAM withdrew six planes during the Christmas rush season, supposedly for emergency maintenance, resulting in total chaos at Brazilian airports. VARIG flew thousands of TAM passengers on its unused planes, and the government even lent TAM an old 707 that used to be the Presidential plane as well as an old 727 (known as 'sucatão' and 'sucatinho', respectively). Even with that 'help', thousands of TAM passengers either spent days and nights in the airport, or simply took the bus. After this disappointing performance, it is doubtful that any respectable alliance would want TAM at this point. TAM used to have a great reputation, but it will take a good deal of time to restore it.

ssoul Jan 5, 2007 5:21 pm

I stand corrected

millionmiler Jan 6, 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro (Post 6957794)
The local press in Rio has also reported that the new VARIG may be joining oneworld. If it's just a rumor, it certainly has got around.

Interesting development. Thanks.

rrgg Jan 6, 2007 1:50 pm

It seems a little disingenuous of OW to crow about being the "only alliance with South American airline"

What's disingenuous about it?

since *A could say the same about Africa...

Technically OW partners RJ and BA fly to Africa, but not so much.

pb9997 Jan 6, 2007 2:13 pm

While anything can happen - what we know for sure - no rumours - is that (new) RG investors have met *A CEO in December to include the new RG in *A - now that the contract with the (old) RG comes to an end.

http://www.panrotas.com.br/canais/re...?cod_not=26470

Wouldn't make any sense for RG to be in OW, now that LAN has hubs in EZE, SCL and LIM - several non-stop flights from GRU to those hubs...

Agree TAM got market share but their service pales compared to what it used to be.

Gardyloo Jan 6, 2007 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 6963921)
Technically OW partners RJ and BA fly to Africa, but not so much.

And QF and IB and CX...