Search

Leaving next week BOS-LHR-GVA-LHR-HKG-SIN-HKG-MNL-HKG-JFK-BOS few questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Leaving next week BOS-LHR-GVA-LHR-HKG-SIN-HKG-MNL-HKG-JFK-BOS few questions

I am leaving next Friday and have a few quick questions:

1. Is it possible to upgrade on a single-segment by paying the difference in the fare for the segment between j and f? Say the LHR-HKG on CX.

2. does anyone know if i will be able to use the BA arrivals shower facilities (terreces Terminal 4) if i am arriving on AA but connecting to a BA flight the same day?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:57 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Assuming your ticket is a DONEx ...
Originally Posted by dchayer
I am leaving next Friday and have a few quick questions:

1. Is it possible to upgrade on a single-segment by paying the difference in the fare for the segment between j and f? Say the LHR-HKG on CX.
No, sorry (at least not as far as the ticket is concerned; maybe CX do onboard or at check-in paid upgrades...)
133N . * UPGRADING BY SECTOR TO BUSINESS/FIRST CLASS IS
134N . NOT PERMITTED.
2. does anyone know if i will be able to use the BA arrivals shower facilities (terreces Terminal 4) if i am arriving on AA but connecting to a BA flight the same day?
You can't use the BA arrivals lounge, but you can use the AA arrivals lounge. You will also be able to take a shower in the BA Terraces (i.e. as part of your onward BA flight). For your long-haul departure on BA (LHR-HKG), you will also be able to sample a treatment in the MB Spa.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Even if you could the difference between J fare and F fare on a oneway from LHR-HKG is going to be more than upgrading the DONEx to an AONEx. BTW - upgrading a DONEx to a AONEx can be done at any time according to the star file.

My guess is no. But I have a better question for you... Why don't you just use the AA Arrivals Lounge?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Even if you could the difference between J fare and F fare on a oneway from LHR-HKG is going to be more than upgrading the DONEx to an AONEx. BTW - upgrading a DONEx to a AONEx can be done at any time according to the star file.

My guess is no. But I have a better question for you... Why don't you just use the AA Arrivals Lounge?
Unless they have upgraded in the last year or so it is no where near as nice as the BA facility.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
How does this work... i.e., I have an ex-CAI DONE5, the last two flights of which are EZE-LHR-DXB, i'd love to upgrade to F of them, and indeed wish BA would build in the option to upgrade with miles, akin to AA issued tickets for AAdvantage members.

How is the price calculated?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by sdorling
How does this work... i.e., I have an ex-CAI DONE5, the last two flights of which are EZE-LHR-DXB, i'd love to upgrade to F of them, and indeed wish BA would build in the option to upgrade with miles, akin to AA issued tickets for AAdvantage members.

Based on the price difference for the whole ticket. "At any time" is the rule, but in reality it only makes sense before your first flight.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:19 am

I'm sure i read something recently in the AA forum suggesting that you have to pay an entrance fee for the AA T3 arrivals lounge.

On the assumption that the OP's layover is <4/5 hours and their not planning on leaving the airport, i'd take full advantage of the MB Spa, get a nice hot power shower before enjoying a massage.... it's a tough life sometimes!

Originally Posted by Viajero
Based on the price difference for the whole ticket. "At any time" is the rule, but in reality it only makes sense before your first flight.
Ah, well that sucks - for my position at least.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:31 am

I'm sure i read something recently in the AA forum suggesting that you have to pay an entrance fee for the AA T3 arrivals lounge....
Only if you are flying Economy. No fee if on Business/First.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:35 am
SLF

Programs: Various
On the assumption that the OP's layover is <4/5 hours and their not planning on leaving the airport, i'd take full advantage of the MB Spa, get a nice hot power shower before enjoying a massage.... it's a tough life sometimes!
Good plan, but the OP is transiting LHR to GVA after arriving on AA - so won't qualify for a massage (a shower will be OK though).
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by SLF
Good plan, but the OP is transiting LHR to GVA after arriving on AA - so won't qualify for a massage (a shower will be OK though).
Doh! My bad... i guess they'll just have to wait until their LHR-HKG leg...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:04 am

Sorry for the confusion. Let me be a bit more precise:

For LHR-HKG the J2OW fare is $5095 and the F2OW fare is $6924. So the cost to upgrade this, if they allowed it which I don't know if they do, would be $1829. Now the cost difference between a DONE4 of $8300 and an AONE4 of $10400 is $2100. Now, I was wrong in my previous assumption that the OW upgrade would be more than the ONE upgrade. While the price is less for the individual upgrade, it doesn't make sense to spend $1829 on 1 segment instead of $2100 on multiple segments. Ahhh, you say you are using VIPs on AA Transoceanic segments. Well it also doesn't make sense to use your VIP(s) for a $271 difference (assuming you could, and would, upgrade LHR-HKG for $1829).

My analysis does not take into account that I DO NOT KNOW if they would allow you to upgrade an individual segment in this manner to begin with. It just shows that doing so would be misguided IMO.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:26 am

Sorry for the confusion. Let me be a bit more precise:...
I'm confused. Why do an analysis on something that just cannot be? (see post #2 for the rule)
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Viajero
I'm confused. Why do an analysis on something that just cannot be? (see post #2 for the rule)
Because I wanted to.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:46 am

WHat i typically do when connecting from an AA flight to a european flight: Walk over to Terminal 1 (go thru customs, immigration and then use the underground tunnel), then go to the BA arrivals lounge. They close at 2 pm. Nice shower, massage etc and some food. If your flight leaves later you then can just go to the lounge inside T1.
From there just take the premium channel into T1 (also very quick).
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
WHat i typically do when connecting from an AA flight to a european flight: Walk over to Terminal 1 (go thru customs, immigration and then use the underground tunnel), then go to the BA arrivals lounge...
I thought the BA arrivals lounge was not available to arriving AA pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.