Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

On trans-Atlantic British Air - credit on US airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

I go overseas about every 2-3 years so I don't worry about overseas freq flyer programs or the alliances.

In several weeks, I am booked on British Air between the UK and the US. I notice on the American web site that transatlantic British Air flights are not valid for credit in American's program.

I belong to half a dozen programs on US based airlines but don't remember British Air being listed as a partner with any of them.

Is there any program I can use (short of joining BA's) so I can get some credit somewhere for this BA trans-Atlantic flight?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
There is only one US-based program that will let you earn miles for this flight - Alaska Airlines.

It would be interesting to know the class of travel though. On all but the three highest economy fare classes, BA flights earn just 25% of miles flown on Alaska's and most other programs, meaning that the number of miles you will earn may be much lower than you think. If it's in World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy), Club World (Business) or First, there's no problem mileage-wise.

Also, note that some transatlantic BA flights will earn miles on AA - those that depart from Canadian, Caribbean, or Latin American gateways. It's only US-UK flights that have restrictions on earning miles.

And please - it's British AirWAYS.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:26 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by alex0683de
And please - it's British AirWAYS.
Oh that’s so British! "Its not British Air you dope its British AIRWAYS"
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
The FT BA forum has that general tone - it seems to be mostly airline staff who've taken names like Hooters Galore complaining about passengers. It's a great place to get flamed for criticizing The Company. As you might guess, I lurk quietly when I visit there (which is seldom).

Of course, anyone who puts a U in QANTAS gets a spelling lesson over there, too.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Well, I'm not British, but notice the smiley in my post. It was a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.