Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question - non expiring frequent flyer miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Unhappy Newbie question - non expiring frequent flyer miles

Hoping for some wisdom to rub off. My wife and I are not frequent flyers like most of you but we travel 3 times a year between Canada, Japan and Taiwan.

I have been a loyal Star Alliance member with Aeroplan for years now. We like Aeroplan because they do not expire (as long as there is some activity) However AC metal is getting worse between KIX and YVR. Duck tape, broken chairs, no table last trip plus TWO emergency landings was too much for us.

We have been now using JAL. With JAL joining Oneworld, we want to join a frequent flyer plan with an oneworld carrier. JAL miles expire to quickly for us.

Which oneworld frequent flyer partner has miles that do not expire?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
...Which oneworld frequent flyer partner has miles that do not expire?
AAdvantage is one. Any activity, positive or negative, will keep your miles active for up to three years.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I think all 8 of the OW airlines FF plans provide for 3 year mileage expiration but any activity -- including a redemption -- extends the life of the miles by another 3 years. So that isn't a point of differentiation (presumably JL will change their rules to be more OW compliant).

The bigger choice in which plan to use is to decide the value. Each plan has a different valuation for miles -- they are not the same. And how you earn and burn miles further complicates picking the best plan ... it depends. Most of the time AA is the best value (but not always). Even the worst plan has at least one good feature. But if you don't want to do a lot of research, or aren't flying a lot, pick AAdvantage.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by number_6
I think all 8 of the OW airlines FF plans provide for 3 year mileage expiration but any activity -- including a redemption -- extends the life of the miles by another 3 years.
Certainly not true of AsiaMiles which expire at the end of the third year following that in which they were earned. You can pay to extend them but the price is high.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
I think all 8 of the OW airlines FF plans provide for 3 year mileage expiration but any activity -- including a redemption -- extends the life of the miles by another 3 years. So that isn't a point of differentiation (presumably JL will change their rules to be more OW compliant).
Certainly not true for AY either. AY miles/points expire after 5 years from the date earned, in 3 months intervals. Only exception are AY Plats (Emerald) - miles do not expire while holding Plat status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.