FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Aer Lingus plans to leave oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/563702-aer-lingus-plans-leave-oneworld.html)

l380 May 29, 2006 11:14 pm

Aer Lingus plans to leave oneworld

Link

I doubt there will be much impact since they are the smallest airline in the alliance. Wish there will be some even better airlines joining oneworld.

Thoughts?

Rambuster May 29, 2006 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by l380
Link

I doubt there will be much impact since they are the smallest airline in the alliance. Wish there will be some even better airlines joining oneworld.

Thoughts?

I am surprised that OneWorld has not KICKED them OUT !
They certainly have no place in any alliance as a LCC.

hobarthoney May 29, 2006 11:42 pm

I am not that happy about it. I think OW needs to grow! I (unlike) many think Aer Lingus is a good carrier and gives OW good access to Europe. I can see where they are coming from in that most people would fly with BA and Aer Lingus may not be getting the benefit they could from OW. People have been saying they will leave OW and get into bed with VS and Emirates i guess we will wait and see.

number_6 May 30, 2006 12:47 am

EI was less than 3% of OW's ASM so it really is insignicant (by contrast, adding JL/MA/RJ will increase OW by 20%). Having a hub at DUB was completely useless for intra-Europe flights and awful for trans-Atlantic (shorter flight = less sleep). And there wasn't a single city that EI flew to which wasn't served by BA (on a shorter flight). So there was never a reason to fly EI except for price. Their service varies from quite good to incredibly dreadful, but with MA entering OW as a lower-cost carrier and with a mid-Europe hub, there really wasn't much left for EI. BA blackballed LX for much the same reason (didn't want a better hub and airline competing for the same business), but apparently EI doesn't quite have the same clout as BA and couldn't prevent MA from joining.

ijgordon May 30, 2006 8:30 am

Originally Posted by number_6
BA blackballed LX for much the same reason (didn't want a better hub and airline competing for the same business), but apparently EI doesn't quite have the same clout as BA and couldn't prevent MA from joining.

I imagine this has been covered, but why did BA allow MA to join then? Because they aren't a "better" airline and don't stand to steal much business traffic?

Keith009 May 30, 2006 9:15 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I imagine this has been covered, but why did BA allow MA to join then? Because they aren't a "better" airline and don't stand to steal much business traffic?

Probably more because they need a Central/Eastern European hub, and MA is one of the better airlines in Eastern Europe. *A already has LOT plus a range of airlines in Central Europe, while ST has Czech in Central Europe, Aeroflot in the East and Aitalia in the Southeastern end. (hmm did i get my bearings right?)

Guy Betsy May 30, 2006 9:55 am

Oneworld has got to let another strong EU carrier in, but since all the best slices of the pie has been taken there really isn't anyone left. Not everyone likes going through LHR and on BA to their final destination.. LHR is in fact very Third World for transfers.

SO who do we have left that serves Africa, Middle East from Europe that isn't in Star or Skyteam already? .. OYLMPIC? :eek:

Darren May 30, 2006 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SO who do we have left that serves Africa, Middle East from Europe that isn't in Star or Skyteam already? .. OYLMPIC? :eek:

Sabena will cover Africa and Royal Jordanian should cover the middle east well enough until one of the far middle east carriers join.

number_6 May 30, 2006 10:25 am

All the OW hubs are on the edges of Europe (HEL, MAD, LHR and DUB), which is good for travel betweeen continents but bad for intra-Europe routings.

MA joining OW is a bit complicated, as it is a government owned airline that is trying to privatize, at a government owned airport which is also privatizing. So the deal seems to be that BAA was allowed to buy Ferihegy airport in a very lucrative deal, and BA in turn allowed MA to join Oneworld. MA doesn't have the longhaul routes that LX had (and was desperate to keep), also MA doesn't strive for a luxury product. Instead it is a good solid airline. Plus it opens up a low cost maintenance and catering base for Oneworld use, the next time BA management needs to negotiate at LHR/LGW.

NOLAnwGOLD May 30, 2006 11:41 pm

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds...ap2779947.html

bensyd May 31, 2006 2:30 am

I think EI should leave OW they just seem to make no sense being in the alliance. OW is generally made up of large intercontinental airlines, where does a intra european LCC with a few services to North America fit into the picture? and I would not consider DUB a hub especially as it is so close to LHR. MA makes more sense and will definatley give OW better reach within Central/Eastern Europe, and they service BKK which certainly makes them a viable option for pax travelling to from the far east.

Rambuster May 31, 2006 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
.. OYLMPIC? :eek:

With Olympic the question would be what comes first: bankruptcy due to repayment of illegal subsidies to the EU or integration into OW compatibility ?

I would bet on the former...

naharragt May 31, 2006 6:17 am

For AA awards, you couldn't fly on BA across the Atlantic. Aer Lingus was the only alternative to AA. Now there will be none. Right?

Viajero May 31, 2006 6:25 am

Originally Posted by naharragt
...Aer Lingus was the only alternative to AA. Now there will be none. Right?

Wrong, :) forgot about IB.

naharragt May 31, 2006 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Viajero
Wrong, :) forgot about IB.

Yeah, I guess. But not too convenient for travel to London, I believe. Is THAT correct?