Syd-hkg-lhr-fco-goa Help!

Old May 1, 06, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Syd-hkg-lhr-fco-goa Help!

Hello:

In a few days I am finishing out a big trip and will be doing the above trip in sequence without a break. Question.....first flights are on CX, then BA to FCO.

I am connecting to Ailitalia in Rome to get to Genoa.......Will I have to re-claim my luggage? I am a non EU resident, does this change anything? I rarely connect to a non one world partner and usually do this LHR and not FCO.

Thank you in advance for any advice here.

Kind Regards,
Old May 1, 06, 11:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The connecting airlines have nothing to do with this question ... it would be the same whatever airline you used. A few countries require clearing customs at the port of entry but most do not; I believe Italy does not. So you will clear customs at GOA. Your bags will be identified by special tags and then pulled from the regular luggage stream for inspection at GOA. This may take 5 seconds, or it may take a few hours, being Italy. Most of the time luggage is not inspected, but the HKG tags on the bags might instigate a bit of interest in their contents. This is a particular problem at small airports that do not get a lot of long-haul traffic and the customs people are bored.
Old May 5, 06, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Due to the fact that Italian Airports are infamous in losing luggage no matter when.. I would check your bags to FCO, clear immigration / customs and then recheck it to your final destination - IF YOU HAVE TIME.

Search this Thread