Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Iberia MIA-MAD-AMS and back: Min. transfer time in MAD?

Old Mar 12, 06, 1:55 am
Original Poster

I'm currently looking at booking MIA-MAD-AMS through Iberia but I'm unsure if the 1 hour and 10 minutes transfer time is enough in MAD. Is this enough time to go through immigration, security, etc? The transfer will be from terminal 4s to 4 and vice versa. Will also be in J if this makes any difference.
Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 06, 2:26 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I'm currently looking at booking MIA-MAD-AMS through Iberia but I'm unsure if the 1 hour and 10 minutes transfer time is enough in MAD. Is this enough time to go through immigration, security, etc? The transfer will be from terminal 4s to 4 and vice versa. Will also be in J if this makes any difference.
Thanks!
Shouldn't be any problem. Welcome to Europe, here less than 1 hour international connections are more than usual...
Old Mar 12, 06, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks!
Depends; right now terminal 4 is a bit of a mess, and you -could- run into trouble,. I flew MIA-MAD three days ago, and it took more than an hour to deplane, go -by bus- to the terminal, clear the huge immigration queue, etc.
Old Mar 12, 06, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the situation will be like what NoWindowSeat described. Unfortunately, the problems that Viajero described seems to describe the situation better at MAD at the moment. I've seen many of the same comments that Viajero described. Hopefully, this will not be the case at the end of April, which is when I booked the flights for my parents. And hopefully they will also be able to get some assistance from Iberia.
Old Mar 13, 06, 10:18 am

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Thanks!
I've been through MAD twice in the past couple of weeks, JNB-MAD-GRX and VLC-MAD-ARN. The first required clearing immigration and catching the train from 4 to 4S; the immigration queues were very short (it was early morning) and the whole procedure took around 20 mins, so I'd take that as a lower limit. The second transit was all inside 4S and took about 2 minutes
Old Mar 16, 06, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrboh
I've been through MAD twice in the past couple of weeks, JNB-MAD-GRX and VLC-MAD-ARN. The first required clearing immigration and catching the train from 4 to 4S; the immigration queues were very short (it was early morning) and the whole procedure took around 20 mins, so I'd take that as a lower limit. The second transit was all inside 4S and took about 2 minutes

Thanks mrboh. It seems from other posts that the immigration/transit procedures vary a lot. Good to know that it is "possible" in 20 minutes. BTW. the Iberia flight arrives at 7:40 AM in Madrid.

Search this Thread