Wiki Posts
Search

Tax in SCL going to IPC included?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Tax in SCL going to IPC included?

Darren warned me that in SCL they will try to charge you tax that has already been paid. I am on a DONE6 and low and behold LAN charged me the tax for IPC and I could not get out of it.

They said that I paid my intl tax but not domestic. When I had the tix issued I wanted a break down of each individual tax but they would not do it. So I could not really argue with them.

Was my domestic tax paid? It does not matter now but I was just wondering.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Does Chile still charge an arrival tax?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by og
Depending on your nationality, absolutely.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:52 am

It was $45 US several years ago for Americans. I started using my Panama passport to avoid this retalitory tax.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by og
For some nationals, yes. With my European passport they haven't charged anything.

I've never needed to pay any "domestic tax" in Chile on domestic flights bought abroad but then I haven't been to IPC if that place is a special case. Everything has been included in whatever ticket I've got.

/hv
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:43 am
Original Poster

They did it again!!! I am in Rio and they charged me 36 USD. This is ridiculous I know I paid all my intl tax. Even in SCL the agent said I would have to pay domestic put she could see all my intl taxes were paid. LAN is making some extra cash here. I know this is a scam.

And on another note I am totally unsatisfied with LAN. I,ll write up some stuff in the <Other South AMerica FF programs> area as there is already a thread on LAN. I am totally disapointed. I have been on 4 LAN flights with 2 more to go. So far I would take AA over LAN any day. I am not a fan of AA but these LAN flts have been bad.

Og as an AMerican yes you have to pay the 100 USD tax. I removed the one from my old passport and stapled it in the new one and they barely batted an eye. I have heard others doing this and it has never been a problem.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
Og as an AMerican yes you have to pay the 100 USD tax. I removed the one from my old passport and stapled it in the new one and they barely batted an eye. I have heard others doing this and it has never been a problem.
Well the visa is good for 10 years, so it shouldn't be an issue if you take it out and restaple.

The only issue with the taxes and tariffs - while I do agree with you that the IPC tax feels really scammy (LAN does seem good at that, I particuarly liked the way I was told about the lounge on my way to IPC and then at the airport told that I'd have to go back through immigration to use it...brilliant) - is that do keep in mind the tariffing of these is about as complex as the GDS tools get so to get your average desk agent to break it down...hard thing to do.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:23 pm

Don't feel too bad. I was charged for an extra departure tax from SCL and I did have the itemized list. The agent said I had paid once, but was departing SCL two times. Did not seem to matter that the first time thru SCL was a connection LAX-SCL-Quito and that an overnight flight arrives the next day.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Toofewmiles
Well the visa is good for 10 years, so it shouldn't be an issue if you take it out and restaple.
Unless they have changed it, I believe that mine is for the "life of the passport".
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Darren
Unless they have changed it, I believe that mine is for the "life of the passport".
Oops, correctamundo. "..te valido hasta la expiracion del pasaport" says mine. Somewhere I'd thought I'd read 10 years.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by og
Yes it does. Reciprocal Tax for certain Nationals.
As an Australian Passport Holder I had to pay US$30 and clearly printed at bottom of ticket states "VALIDO POR 90 DIAS"
The receipt issued upon payment of the reciprocity fee is regarded as a multiple entry visa and is valid for 3 months.
This is for tourists only, so I guess my APEC card allows me to bypass that now as I am travelling on business.

Don't get me started on the taxes on tickets. I had a standoff that lasted 90 minutes and after some heated discussion and threats was told "We will allow you this time to travel". How big of them considering I had paid the taxes already and had all of it broken down and itemised.

Last edited by Kurwah; Sep 27, 2005 at 6:18 pm Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kurwah
Don't get me started on the taxes on tickets. I had a standoff that lasted 90 minutes and after some heated discussion and threats was told "We will allow you this time to travel". How big off them considering I had paid the taxes already and had all of it broken down and itemised.
In GIG I told the agent I had NO MONEY which was inncorrect but I stood my ground on that. Told her my CC were maxed and I had 39 in Brazilian Real. In the end she said she would pay my departure tax out of her own pocket and I could send her the money when I returned to the states. God I felt bad but it would have been weird if I had said opps I found some more cash. So I will mail her the difference when I return but my dep tax must have been included in the ticket. Geez all these carriers and only LAN puts up a big hissy fit.

Anyway I will contact my TA and find out the deal just to know but I was told that ALL taxes are included.

At this moment I am at the LAN lounge in SCL and really pissed off from my last flight. I swear I will take AA any day over LAN. I am completely and uterly disapointed in them.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:00 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
They did it again!!! I am in Rio and they charged me 36 USD. This is ridiculous I know I paid all my intl tax. Even in SCL the agent said I
I thought that everyone leaving Brazil has to pay this in cash.. not just the LAN pax.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
LAN in SCL was the only airline I had any issues with on my RTW as well. Mine was the reverse of your problem though, my domestic taxes were paid, but the international ones weren't (probably as a result of my layover being less than 24 hours, so seen as a transit by QF when they prepared the ticket, but seen differently on the ground in SCL). I didn't have any problems flying out of GRU though (but then again I flew on BA to EZE, so might have dodged that one). Only other place it looked like it might have been an issue was departing NRT too, but managed to find the tax code somewhere on the ticket fortunately!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GK
I thought that everyone leaving Brazil has to pay this in cash.. not just the LAN pax.
Well I have been to Rio 6 times and I have NEVER had to pay this tax before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.