Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Urgent Advice sought re: award booking with QF points (NYC-MEL the LONG way)

Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.

Hi. My mom has 130000 pts which she is donating to a good cause.

I figured I would take an adventure, rather than the usual trans-pac. I need to dep ex NYC April 4/5 and return April 15/16.

A nice QF agent helped me find this routing:

Apr 5 - AA337, Dep LGA 1500 arr ORD 1637
Apr 5 - BA294, Dep ORD 2100 arr LHR 1100 (next day)
Apr 6 - CX254, Dep LHR 2235 arr HKG 1735 (next day)
Apr 7 - CX135, Dep HKG 1910 arr MEL 0615 (next day)

return:
Apr 15 - QF179, Dep MEL 0930 arr NRT 1855
Apr 16 - AA154, Dep NRT 1825 arr ORD 1555
Apr 16 - AA350, Dep ORD 1800 arr LGA 2121

Looks a little crazy for an adventure but....

Questions:

- It seems like there is no way to do this sort of searching myself. It took her 90 minutes to find this for me, and I think I tried her patience so I left it at that. It's not booked yet.
- Is there a way to check each leg for availability with each carrier individually? (Availibility tool perhaps?). If so, I guess I need to know what each carrier uses for award booking code?
- The layover in LHR is a little long, can I get to LHR on AA on a morning flight and catch CX254 "same day" ???
- The layover in HKG seems tight for intl connection, will this be ok?
- The return overnight in NRT sucks. I'm not doing this to stay overnight, I'm doing it to catch diff carriers and see diff airports (yes, crazy), but the agent insisted I was struggling on the return (OZ school holidays she said). She could get me from OZ to NRT/SIN/HKG, but couldn't get me from there back to NYC. Any suggestions here?

Time is short (it was a last minute idea) and I HAVE to be in Brisbane on the 13th, and I need to be back in NYC by the 16th at the very latest.

Please suggest/comment/criticize with impunity. Thank You.

While waiting for replies, I'm going to start checking schedules and stuff.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me which fare bucket to check for availibility if I want to book award travel.

QF reservations told me:
X for AA, AY, BA, CX, QF and T for the rest, but when I use KVS tool, it doesn't show me X?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:19 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Most airlines do not disclose award seat availability; you generally cannot see it on the web using any of the fare availability tools. Some exceptions to this (varies by airline, fare class and tool) but the majority simply cannot be viewed. You have to phone to find availability. For some reason U is often visible but X and Z are not.

Your routing is fine and not an unreasonable way to go. I doubt that you will do better, but inventory does come and go (lots of people hold awards which they don't intend to use, particularly on these hard to get routes, and don't cancel them until the last minute).
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Most airlines do not disclose award seat availability; you generally cannot see it on the web using any of the fare availability tools. Some exceptions to this (varies by airline, fare class and tool) but the majority simply cannot be viewed. You have to phone to find availability. For some reason U is often visible but X and Z are not.

Your routing is fine and not an unreasonable way to go. I doubt that you will do better, but inventory does come and go (lots of people hold awards which they don't intend to use, particularly on these hard to get routes, and don't cancel them until the last minute).
I really really want to swear now.

I want to tweak the routing a little, but it seems like such a chore to have the agent checking citypairs all over....

I want to minimize my time on the ground (and hopefully remove the overnight in NRT). So what you are saying is my only choice is to bug an agent for 2 hours?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Would this thread not be better placed in the Qantas Frequent Flyer part of the forum rather than oneworld?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rufus102
...So what you are saying is my only choice is to bug an agent for 2 hours?
Yep.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:13 pm

Can anyone tell me which fare bucket to check for availibility if I want to book award travel.

QF reservations told me:
X for AA, AY, BA, CX, QF and T for the rest, but when I use KVS tool, it doesn't show me X?
Coach awards on AA are booked in T class. X is an upgrade class on AA.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:16 pm

So what you are saying is my only choice is to bug an agent for 2 hours?

Basically, yes. Put the agent on a speaker phone, open a beer and wait calmly for the person to check the availability.

The airlines don't all use the same reservations systems and even when they do the rules about what can be viewed by the public are different for every airline.

The airlines typically don't allow you to look up availability for their partner awards on their websites either (Lan Chile seems to be an exception).

Also, don't think that you can look up individual availability for each airline on their websites and piece the trip together. Partner airlines don't make the same inventory available to other airlines as they do for their own members. BA and QF are especially bad about that.

Last edited by millionmiler; Mar 23, 2005 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

*kusshhh* (is that the sound of a beer?)

Ok - I'll use the OW timetable to gather some options, together with the availibilities I've already been given and get on the phone.

Thanks for the advice.

Hammer - I figured here was a better place to post, because it pertained to OW airlines.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:25 pm

When I was looking for my award ticket to Beijing, I alternated calling UA and US no less than a hundred times (It was on the star alliance) for availability. Yes, you just need to call, wait, and ask them to check. I dont know why this is the case, but it is.

See maybe about going through Santiago. JFK-SCL-AKL-MEL.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Darren
When I was looking for my award ticket to Beijing, I alternated calling UA and US no less than a hundred times (It was on the star alliance) for availability. Yes, you just need to call, wait, and ask them to check. I dont know why this is the case, but it is.

See maybe about going through Santiago. JFK-SCL-AKL-MEL.
I tried that routing for the return. It ALMOST worked. OZ-AKL leg is a problem, but may be overcome.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I tried that routing for the return. It ALMOST worked. OZ-AKL leg is a problem, but may be overcome.
Interesting... I would have thought the problem is with SCL-AKL. There're several flights a day between Aus and AKL, but only 3 flights a week between SCL-AKL. It's hard to even buy a ticket between SCL-AKL, let alone awards...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Booked.

LGA-ORD-LHR-HEL-HKG-MEL//SYD-AKL-SCL-MIA-JFK

Thanks for the help.

HEL connection is 40 mins. (please don't be late, please don't be late)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Here's my itinerary:
YOUR ITINERARY AND TRAVEL DETAILS:

AMERICAN AIRLINES AA337 ECONOMY CLASS (T) CONFIRMED
DEPART 05APR05 NEW YORK/LA GUARDIA 1500
ARRIVE 05APR05 CHICAGO/O'HARE INTL 1637
DEPARTS FROM TERMINAL M
ARRIVES AT TERMINAL 3 2:37 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING (DOUGLAS) MD-80 ALL SERIES NON SMOKING
----------------------------------------------------------------

BRITISH AIRWAYS BA298 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 05APR05 CHICAGO/O'HARE INTL 2015
ARRIVE 06APR05 LONDON/HEATHROW 1000
DEPARTS FROM TERMINAL 5
ARRIVES AT TERMINAL 4 7:45 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING 777-200/200ER NON SMOKING

BRITISH AIRWAYS BA798 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 06APR05 LONDON/HEATHROW 1800
ARRIVE 06APR05 HELSINKI/HELSINKI VANTAA 2255
DEPARTS FROM TERMINAL 1
ARRIVES AT TERMINAL 2 2:55 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A320-100/200 NON SMOKING

FINNAIR AY91 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 06APR05 HELSINKI/HELSINKI VANTAA 2335
ARRIVE 07APR05 HONG KONG/HONG KONG INTL 1830
DEPARTS FROM TERMINAL 2 1 STOP
13:55 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING (DOUGLAS) MD-11 NON SMOKING

CATHAY PACIFIC CX105 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 07APR05 HONG KONG/HONG KONG INTL 2345
ARRIVE 08APR05 MELBOURNE/TULLAMARINE 1050
ARRIVES AT TERMINAL M 9:05 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-300 NON SMOKING

QANTAS AIRWAYS QF163 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 15APR05 SYDNEY/KINGSFORDSMITH 0705
ARRIVE 15APR05 AUCKLAND/AUCKLAND 1200
DEPARTS FROM TERMINAL 1
ARRIVES AT INTL TERMINAL 2:55 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING 767-300/300ER NON SMOKING

QANTAS AIRWAYS QF321 ECONOMY CLASS (X) CONFIRMED
DEPART 15APR05 AUCKLAND/AUCKLAND 1725
ARRIVE 15APR05 SANTIAGO/A MERINO BENITEZ 1245
FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA LAN AIRLINES
DEPARTS FROM INTL TERMINAL
ARRIVES AT INTL TERMINAL 11:20 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A340-300

AMERICAN AIRLINES AA912 ECONOMY CLASS (T) CONFIRMED
DEPART 15APR05 SANTIAGO/A MERINO BENITEZ 2040
ARRIVE 16APR05 MIAMI/MIAMI INTL 0516
DEPARTS FROM INTL TERMINAL
8:36 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING 767-300/300ER NON SMOKING

AMERICAN AIRLINES AA2052 ECONOMY CLASS (T) CONFIRMED
DEPART 16APR05 MIAMI/MIAMI INTL 0845
ARRIVE 16APR05 NEW YORK/LA GUARDIA 1140
ARRIVES AT TERMINAL M 2:55 DURATION
AIRCRAFT : BOEING 757-200/300 NON SMOKING

Here are some questions I have:

1. Will I stay in transit the whole way or will I need to deal with customs anywhere? Also, any visas required? (FYI - travelling on Australian Passport)
2. Suggestions for showering? HKG and SCL seem like the best places, timing-wise.
3. Tight connection in HEL. That's not a question though.
4. No "NON SMOKING" for the LA flight. Does this mean smoking allowed? (yes, I smoke. sorry)
5. Recommendations for seat assignments? I assume I have to call each individual airline directly.
6. Luggage will be checked all the way through? yes/no?
7. I am UA 2P - does that have any Star equivalent and does that help me with club/showering type stuff?
8. Reservations agent said I could waitlist for earlier flights on same carrier - can I waitlist for earlier flights on other OW carriers? Specifically, the HEL connection being tight makes me want to try for an earlier flight on AY/BA.
9. Money - use plastic for everything? Just use USD, or will I need local currency anywhere? I doubt I'll be leaving any airports - unless something goes wrong.

Any/all comments welcome. I'm excited.

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Here are some questions I have:

1. Will I stay in transit the whole way or will I need to deal with customs anywhere? Also, any visas required? (FYI - travelling on Australian Passport)
** You certainly can, but with the time you have available and no lounge access, I would strongly recommend going into London, and even HKG is doable with the airport express, perhaps a quick return ride on the Star Ferry, but I guess you will be pretty wacked by that point.
No visa required, though there is an entry fee of c.USD34 if you enter Chile.

2. Suggestions for showering? HKG and SCL seem like the best places, timing-wise.
** I believe there are showers in certain public restrooms at LHR, but you will need your own towel and soap. In HKG there is a transit hotel type set up in the departures hall which offers showers, as well as rest area etc. all for a price. SCL dunno.

3. Tight connection in HEL. That's not a question though.
**Wouldn't worry it's a small neat airport.

4. No "NON SMOKING" for the LA flight. Does this mean smoking allowed? (yes, I smoke. sorry)
** Unfortunately not, it's just missing from the info.

5. Recommendations for seat assignments? I assume I have to call each individual airline directly.
Yes. Though not sure you can pre-assign on all of them, certainly not BA SH. It's worth checking in online (OLCI) on BA site exactly 24hrs before the dep of yr ORDLHR flight. You can do the same with CX from -48hrs.

6. Luggage will be checked all the way through? yes/no?
**Yes.

7. I am UA 2P - does that have any Star equivalent and does that help me with club/showering type stuff?
**Not on OW

8. Reservations agent said I could waitlist for earlier flights on same carrier - can I waitlist for earlier flights on other OW carriers? Specifically, the HEL connection being tight makes me want to try for an earlier flight on AY/BA.
**As it's award you can't switch between carriers as the revenue/payback is ticketed to them. However BA/AY codeshare on that route so may be possible.

9. Money - use plastic for everything? Just use USD, or will I need local currency anywhere? I doubt I'll be leaving any airports - unless something goes wrong.
**You can get by with plastic even for the smallest purchases within the major airports. If you pay with USD you'll only end up with a pocketfull of local change.

Good luck, enjoy; that itinerary is horrendous!

Last edited by SYDguy; Mar 31, 2005 at 9:40 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.