Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

2005 First Quarter RTW - suggest routes!

Old Jul 31, 04, 9:51 pm
skye

I'm tired of planning everything, so I decided to let you guys plan most of my next leisure RTW in the first quart. of 2005. I'm starting the trip in Hong Kong, and some places I would like to visit (again) are New York JFK, Vancouver, London Heath., Lisbon, San Francisco, and Frankfurt. Feel free to offer other destinations but keep in mind the limit. I guess I'll be willing to omit one or two of the places I wish to visit, but try not to. And try to stick to flights with CX and CX's FIRST CLASS. Please suggest, and I'll be one happy camper. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 31, 04, 11:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Starting in HKG is tough because it means you cannot visit many asian destinations (your RTW ends when you return to HKG). You might want to originate in TPE (also the RTW price is considerably cheaper for TPE). CX looks to be adding considerable service starting in April 2005 so you may want to consider delaying your RTW to 2Q05 if your goal is to maximize CX travel. But who knows when LHR-JFK on CX will be approved. Otherwise you can download the CX timetable from their web site which makes planning this a snap (see http://www.cathaypacific.com under planning your trip).
Old Aug 1, 04, 3:53 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Based on the cities you listed, it looks like it'll be a AONE3. As number_6 mentioned, you're better off starting outside of HKG. Thailand, Pakistan, Malaysia and Taiwan have roughly similar prices for the AONE3 at around 50,000 HKD, whereas in HK you'd pay 55,000 or so.

In order to maximize the CX segments, you could do the HKG-YVR-JFK run, although getting back to the west coast is going to be tricky. Can you get the just the JFK-YVR segment on CX? You'd still be stuck getting from YVR to SFO, as only Alaska seems to fly that route. So you might as well go JFK-DFW-SFO.

To get from JFK to LHR, it looks like BA is your best bet, unless the CX LHR-JFK flight materializes before then.

Search this Thread