Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

SOS - LONE 4 U$2500(fm OZ) gd/bad?

SOS - LONE 4 U$2500(fm OZ) gd/bad?

Old May 31, 04, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver, SQ Silver, Asia Mil, BA Exe & One Pass
Question SOS - LONE 4 U$2500(fm OZ) gd/bad?

Hi One World RTW experts,

Someone fm the Lonely Planet forum direct me to this place for best adv for my questions ...... Kindly HELP as payment deadline is approaching (departure mid-June) and I'm still wandering ...

My route is:
Melbourne/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Kuala Lumper/Hong Kong/Paris/Barcelona/ overland to Madrid/Cairo/Athen (via other carriers)/Ferry to Italy (Rome)/Helsinki/overland to Budapest/London/Rio de Janeiro/Lima/Buenos Aires/Santiago/Rapa Nui (Easter Island)/Papeete (Tahiti)/Auckland/Melbourne
** Plan to buy a 1-month Europass**

My questions are:
1. Is my present quote of 4 Continents Economy (LONE 4) high-season U$2500 a good deal?
2. Will I be better off to buy separate Melbourne/Bangkok return and get a 3 Cont Business (DONE 3) issue in Bongkok?
3. Is my route sound okay to you, if not, what would u suggest? FYI, I am an Asian girl doing it alone, therefore safety is the key issue.

A million thanks!
Old May 31, 04, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Unless I am mistaken, you can't do this on an OneWorld Explorer ticket - I don't think there's any OneWorld metal flying Easter Island to Tahiti or Tahiti to Auckland. The codeshares are only valid on a Global Explorer ticket.

And if you went for three continents you wouldn't be able to do Auckland or Easter Island or Tahiti.

I am not aware of any way in which your choice of ticket will affect your level of safety
Old May 31, 04, 9:10 am
Original Poster

1. Easter Island trip should be okay ....
Santiago->Papeete (via Easter Island) by LanChile
Papeete->Auckland->Melbourne by Qantas

2. I have to highlight the safety issue as I won't be able to take LONG bus trips in South America countires alone (e.g. Brazil) ....don't speak the local lang.

3. So, any idea the cost for Business 4 cont issue in Bangkok?
Old May 31, 04, 9:39 am

The ticket from Thailand will be about US$4000 plus tax. Maybe a two or three percent discount if you pay cash for it.

You are right about Lan Chile flying from Easter Island to Tahiti, however the Tahiti to Auckland (actually Tahiti to anywhere) is a Qantas codeshare and therefore not eligible for the Oneworld Explorer. That's what Christep was saying. If you want to go to Tahiti then you would have to buy a ticket from Papeete to either Auckland or Sydney because you can't go back to Easter Island from there. My suggestion is to either drop it and go some other time or to just buy a return ticket there from Auckland.

I have been to all but three or four of the places youre thinking of. Most notably, I have not been to Rio so I can't comment about it other than to say that the media makes it out to be a war zone whereas three friends go there at least a couple times a year by themselves and have not had any problems. You can come to your own conclusions. I haven't been to Tahiti but I can't imagine it's dangerous. Expensive, yes, but dangerous, no.

I have never ever felt unsafe anywhere in Asia, especially in big cities. You say youre "Asian" but you don't say from where. I have been told that Chinese travelers can occasionally feel a bit of discrimination in parts of Asia. Being a big white guy, I can't speak from experience except for Indonesia which I have seen a problem first hand however it's not on your list. You might consider Bali over Tahiti, though, since it will be easier to get to and a heck of a lot cheaper. I had looked at Tahiti when Qantas actually flew there many years back but they stopped the flight before I left so I couldnt. In any event, I looked into prices at the time and there were few cheap digs and it was expensive to go between the islands.

South America just takes a bit of vigilance on your part. Pay attention to who and what is around you, don't look like a tourist, don't look lost, etc. Don't flash money and don't wander through areas that you don't feel comfortable in. Violent crime is a bigger problem in South America than in Asia or presumably Australia but if you don't act like a victim then you probably won't be. I have not felt unsafe there and have not had anything happen though I went with the understanding that the chance was there so I took some extra precautions. You will probably get some extra attention from your male counterparts which can make some people uncomfortable but it's a machismo society and for the most part it's harmlessly annoying. I used to know a girl who was a busty, blonde Californian who went to Rome for a few days. She said the same thing happened there. I didn't do intra-SA busses but I would be very careful on them. Especially if you take the bus through Puno to Titicaca which is notoriously dangerous. Something about the bus dropping you off at 1 or 2 in the morning at a lonely station and the next not leaving for many hours after. But whatever the reason, it's well documented that it's a dangerous thing to do. Pick up a Spanish book and learn a few phrases. You will feel more comfortable and people will be nicer to you. Besides, you will use it in Spain as well.
Old May 31, 04, 9:58 pm

A lone5 costs $3309 AUD. Taxes can be really high -- when included mine came to around $4000 AUD, but I did a full 20 segments.

Since you can't do Tahiti to Auckland on this ticket, you could instead fly Santiago to Auckland to Melbourne and use spare segments elsewhere.

Maybe you are eager for some reason to go to Easter Island. You could pay the $200 AUD charge to go to 5 segments in South America if you are under the 20 overall segment maximum, and append to your itinerary Santiago-Easter Island-Santiago-Auckland-Melbourne.

Since you asked, on your itinerary the safety issue areas that caught my eye were Lima&Rio. Some others have rampant pickpockets, but don't think that's what you were asking.
Old Jun 1, 04, 12:21 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Another issue I can see apart from those already raised are that there's no direct Rio-Lima flight, so that adds another segment (you need to fly via Santiago to get there). If your itenary is flexible you could go from Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires on BA first, and then Buenos Aires-Lima, and back to Santiago.

As for the security on buses, I can't speak for other countries in South America, but in Brazil it seemed fine for me. I couldn't speak any more Spanish or Portuguese than what I plucked out of the phrase books, but didn't experience any problems buying tickets. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the bus stations in Brazil too, especially compared to those in S-E Asia for instance (and I'd definitely rate the bus terminal in Sao Paulo as better than many airports I've been to even in Europe and the US). That said, I'm an above average sized guy, and so your mileage may vary in regards to safety, but if you keep in mind the points Darren has listed you should steer clear of most trouble.
Old Jun 1, 04, 1:54 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Tamed_Fox
2. I have to highlight the safety issue as I won't be able to take LONG bus trips in South America countires alone (e.g. Brazil) ....don't speak the local lang.
Night busses in Peru should be avoid. As it is very dark and usuallu they don't even keep the lights on in the bus during night time. Travelling by air between major Peruvian cities is rather inexpensive.

Busses from and to Santiago de Chile are OK. For example the day-time bus between Mendoza and Santiago de Chile was one of the best for the sceneries (and the price was only 60 ARS).
Old Jun 1, 04, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Refined version

Hola,

Thanks so much for all the comments and good ideas. Is the refined one below looks more reasonable and achievable to you?

Melbourne/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Kuala Lumpur/Hong Kong/Paris/Barcelona overland to Madrid/Cairo->Rome/Helsinki overland to Vienna/Madrid/Lima/Santiago/Buenos Aires overland to Santiago/Easter Island/Santiago/Auckland/Christchurch/Melbourne

For Brazil and Peru I might join some local tours ....

Hi Benoit, Re "A lone5 costs $3309 AUD. Taxes can be really high -- when included mine came to around $4000 AUD, but I did a full 20 segments.", are you talking about low-season fare coz mine (dep mid June 04) 4-cont economy costs AUD3239 (before tax quote by Qantas Travel). Where can u get a cheaper deal in OZ?

Hey Darren, i am a tiny Chinese girl looks very much like a Japanese (Japanese in OZ & Japan always come to me for direction ) that's why everybody think I'm a victim! Besides, I exp lots of harassment in Italy & Spain a few years ago when i was with another Asian girlfriend who speaks Spanish!

Best Rgds,
Happy Fox
Old Jun 2, 04, 12:34 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Thanks so much for all the comments and good ideas. Is the refined one below looks more reasonable and achievable to you?

Melbourne/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Kuala Lumpur/Hong Kong/Paris/Barcelona overland to Madrid/Cairo->Rome/Helsinki overland to Vienna/Madrid/Lima/Santiago/Buenos Aires overland to Santiago/Easter Island/Santiago/Auckland/Christchurch/Melbourne
You can get flights from Lima through to Buenos Aires on one flight number if you want, either direct (on LP441) or via Santiago (on LA601), to save yourself a segment for use elsewhere (given it looks like you'll be back in Santiago again anyway ). For the flights from Santiago to Auckland hopefully you're booking a long way in advance as well, as availability on those is very slim (there was a three month window, all booked out when I tried to book last year, ended up having to return via North America).

Re "A lone5 costs $3309 AUD. Taxes can be really high -- when included mine came to around $4000 AUD, but I did a full 20 segments.", are you talking about low-season fare coz mine (dep mid June 04) 4-cont economy costs AUD3239 (before tax quote by Qantas Travel). Where can u get a cheaper deal in OZ?
Both travel.com.au and bestflights.com.au offer discounts on RTW tickets, you should be able to save $100 or so over the price direct from Qantas. On the downside if you need to make changes to your ticket before your departure you have to go through the travel agent as well, which can be inconvinient, and they may slap on extra charges for the changes. I guess it depends on how likely you think it is that you'll need to change anything before you depart.

Hey Darren, i am a tiny Chinese girl looks very much like a Japanese (Japanese in OZ & Japan always come to me for direction ) that's why everybody think I'm a victim! Besides, I exp lots of harassment in Italy & Spain a few years ago when i was with another Asian girlfriend who speaks Spanish!
At least in Brazil this shouldn't be quite so much of a problem - there's a large Japanese community there (especially around Sao Paulo) so you won't look quite so out of place. I'm not sure in Peru, but I got the impression there's a sizeable Japanese population there as well (others may be able to comment on this). Regardless I wish you luck with the trip, sounds like it'll be an adventure.
Old Jun 2, 04, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Wink Final itinerary

Hey guys,

Thank you sooooo much for the safety tips and rounting adv!

Just talked to my agent to finalize the itinery - should issue the ticket in 1-2 days....

1. Replaced the Lima/Santiago/Buenos Aires with direct LP441 (great idea GibSpmuh )
2. Get the Santiago/Easter Island/Santiago trip fixed with no extra cost.
3. Luckily, also got a seat from Santiago to Auckland in mid-Sept!

Cheers,
Adventure Fox
Old Jun 2, 04, 3:27 pm

Hi Benoit, Re "A lone5 costs $3309 AUD. Taxes can be really high -- when included mine came to around $4000 AUD, but I did a full 20 segments.", are you talking about low-season fare coz mine (dep mid June 04) 4-cont economy costs AUD3239 (before tax quote by Qantas Travel). Where can u get a cheaper deal in OZ?
That AUD 3309.00 is a gross fare level, so is the AUD 3239.00 for the 4 (But remember that QF might charge a 1% surcharge for a credit card!)-

Some shopping around should produce a lower price.

Tony Bailey
Old Jun 3, 04, 9:59 am
Original Poster

FYI, current OW 4 cont quotes (dep mid-june)

Thailand: DONE4 US$5475 / LONE4 US$3050.
OZ: LONE4 AU$3190

BTW, Cairo to Athens by Olympic Air U$150 (July) one-way a fair deal?
Old Jun 3, 04, 9:44 pm

yeah sounds great to me. Hope you take some ferry trips from athens to visit some islands if you can.

Search this Thread