FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   RTW Planning Tools? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/324574-rtw-planning-tools.html)

Wanderer May 27, 2004 3:48 am

RTW Planning Tools?

Currently I'm trying to plan a RTW using tools like CX's downloadable OW flight schedule and getting pretty frustrated. What I want to do I can't do with that program. It works fine if you know the from-to city pairs but it won't tell you anything regarding FT type questions such as:

- from city X, what destinations are served by OW carriers and what are their schedules?
- what are the longest flights on OW carriers out of city X?
- which of these are long-haul flights, etc.?

While I know some of them, I certainly don't know them all, and haven't been doing RTWs so much in the last year...used up a huge bunch of BA miles on free trips BAH to US (about 10 last year). Used the miles before the program change went into effect so got good bang for the mileage buck. Wow.

I'm interested in what online or downloadable tools you folks use for planning RTW trips, and in any hints you've found valuable.

Thanks!

ajinlondon May 27, 2004 4:04 am

AA's where we fly map displays all oneworld destinations , when you click on one world cities, cx and qf both have routemaps on their websites. i'm not sure what the difference between CX's and AA's downloadble timetable are - but i do know AA will show you routes between city pairs and how this is done on Oneworld and displays the different carrier/routing options

longestest flights is discussed here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ongest+flights

alect May 27, 2004 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'm interested in what online or downloadable tools you folks use for planning RTW trips, and in any hints you've found valuable.

Thanks!

You're looking at it ;)

Wanderer May 28, 2004 2:21 am

I think I knew that...

Originally Posted by alect
You're looking at it ;)

Intuitively, I think I knew this, but if I asked all the questions that I presently have, everyone would be irritated because I'd be a constant pest. I have to do my homework first, right? Then ask the questions?

So that's where I was coming from.

Thx.

ajinlondon May 28, 2004 4:24 am

you should put down a few things such as what you are after - where do u want to go, or is it just for points/status. if so then depending on who you FF is may influence the points you earn on routes etc.
editeds to add- if you use BA gold when you fly BA routes you earn higher bonus etc over CX etc.

Wanderer May 28, 2004 6:39 am

Trip planning - automated helpers

I've been looking around and so far have found that the new AA OneWorld Electronic Timetable answers many of my questions in that it allows you to select an origin or destination city, leaving the other one set to "-All Airports-" and you get a listing of where flights from/to that city go to or originate from. It also shows what airline operates the flight - big help to make sure you get the "right" flight number on the reservation/ticket.

A big help in planning RTW trip routing. Now if it only had tier points and mileage at the same time.

A bit frustrating, though, as it won't do multi segment routing like the CX timetable will.

Also thx for advice on "great circle mapper" site - that is a wonderful help!

ajinlondon May 28, 2004 9:36 am

as descibed in my post above, ho hum..
it does do multi seg - u're not using it correctly.
choose the other setting - schedule not city /airport timetable

hauteboy May 28, 2004 10:15 am

I use the oneworld timetable, it's quite a help in planning RTW's.
I've been trying to figure out their database format, that would allow figuring out longest flights, etc. I have already written a parser for the AA PDF timetable, that lets me figure out longest AA flights, best transcons, etc, but unfortunately it's only for AA flights (and codeshares).

bedelman May 28, 2004 1:33 pm

Interpreting the Win32 Oneworld Electronic Timetable Schedule File

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I've been trying to figure out their database format, that would allow figuring out longest flights, etc.

That is hard to figure out, isn't it! I'm looking at the oo.seg file and can't make heads or tails of it. Notwithstanding that this is (sort of) what I do for a living...