Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Calling all you helpful oneworlders - semi planed 2 DONE4

Old Apr 16, 04, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: lost it all but AA lifetime GLD

OK so I have tentatively planned to DONE4s (the second may become a AONE4). I want people to look at it and figure out if maybe some of the flights could be through flight or other idea to get some more segments.

Part 1

CAI-LHR
LHR-JNB
JNB-NBO (will buy a visit africa or individual tix to SEZ)
NBO-JIB
JIB-NBO
NBO-JNB (would like to go to Madagascar and/or Mauritius)
JNB-SYD (may buy a visit Australia to go to NZ)
SYD-NOU
NOU-SYD
SYD-CNS (will fly to POM and not stay in CNS)
CNS-SYD
SYD-JFK (or LAX but it seems like more miles this way)
JFK-DFW
DFW-ANC
ANC-DFW
DFW-JFK
JFK-SFO
SFO-LAX
LAX-LHR
LHR-CAI

Part 2

CAI-LHR
LHR-HKG
HKG-CMB
CMB-BKK (will buy a visit Asia to perhaps go to India, Indonesia, and other SEA places)
BKK-HKG
HKG-JFK
JFK-SJU
SJU-PTP (will fly AF to CAY)
PTP-SJU
SJU-JFK
JFK-SFO (will buy ow ticket to LAX)
LAX-SCL
SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL (will buy visit SA pass)
SCL-GIG
GIG-SCL
SCL-LAX (will buy one way to SFO)
SFO-LAX
LAX-LHR
LHR-CAI

OK this needs a lot of work and the whole trip is going to be about 9 months. The second RTW I would like to stop and stay in the US for a few days both before and after South America.

I would also like to visit DXB but have to squeeze two more segments somewhere.

Is there better places that I should book the DONE4s and use the visit passes for other routes. I really have not figured out all the places Iíll be going to.

Any ideas with routing to maximize?

Thank you so much in advance and you guys really are a helpful group.
Old Apr 16, 04, 10:54 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
you can end you rtw in dxb instead of cai

if you want to visit NZ i would use your DONE, and get cheap Y fares around Aus
Old Apr 16, 04, 11:50 am

In the 1st itinerary, you can't do the SYD-NOU as that is a QF codeshare, not QF metal. The mileage based Global Explorer does allow this routing.

In the 2nd itinerary, you have 2 entries into North America. One has to be a transit without stopover (less than 24 hours). As listed, that would have to be your 2nd entry into the USA. Not sure if the actual next segment has to be the transit or whether you can slip in a segment to get to the intercontinental departure before your 24 hours are up.
Old Apr 16, 04, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajinlondon
you can end you rtw in dxb instead of cai

if you want to visit NZ i would use your DONE, and get cheap Y fares around Aus
Well if I end in DXB I don't really know how I will get out. The final, final leg I would love to end in TRN (Torino, Italy) as I will be living there about one year from now.

I don't plan on visiting Australia as I have been a couple times before and am not into westernized countries for travel (unless I have friends there). I want to visit NZ just to check it out.
Old Apr 16, 04, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
In the 1st itinerary, you can't do the SYD-NOU as that is a QF codeshare, not QF metal. The mileage based Global Explorer does allow this routing.

In the 2nd itinerary, you have 2 entries into North America. One has to be a transit without stopover (less than 24 hours). As listed, that would have to be your 2nd entry into the USA. Not sure if the actual next segment has to be the transit or whether you can slip in a segment to get to the intercontinental departure before your 24 hours are up.
I am sooooo bummed. I really want to go to NOU and I think it will be quite expensive to buy a ticket. I also want to visit POM and will end up buying a ticket. So does it some how make sense to to a Global Explorer and a DONE4?

About NA, I'll have to change that as I want the stop to be after SA and before I move to Italy. Before I go to SA 24 hours is fine to repack before heading to SA.
Old Apr 16, 04, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
???

Accd to the oneworld flight list there is a Qantas flight from Brisbane and two from Sydney.

For that matter, expedia doesn't show it as a codeshare either. There are codeshared flights but it seems there is also mainline.
Old Apr 16, 04, 6:19 pm

Lack of attention, long day.

Last edited by Darren; Apr 16, 04 at 6:37 pm
Old Apr 16, 04, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Darren
I think, though, that there will be a problem with POM. It's operated by Air Niugini and I dont think that it's technically a franchise. Either way you should check to make sure.
Yeah thanks Darren that is why POM is not on my itinerary list. It is off to the side stating I will buy a ticket.

Geez it sure seems like I will be spending a ton of money on extra tickets besides the TWO DONE4s.

So anone know of any thru flts besides LAX-SCL?
Old Apr 16, 04, 6:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
I don't plan on visiting Australia as I have been a couple times before and am not into westernized countries for travel (unless I have friends there). I want to visit NZ just to check it out.
Ahhhh, us in Oz may well say that the Kiwis are not westernised (or even civilised...). Now I'll search for that flame proof coat.
Old Apr 16, 04, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Ahhhh, us in Oz may well say that the Kiwis are not westernised (or even civilised...). Now I'll search for that flame proof coat.
I know you were trying to make a joke.

My main reason for not visiting weseternized countries is cash. I will be traveling for 9 months and will have a fixed amount of money.

Also and no offense but Australia kinda reminds me of the states but with cuter accents.
Old Apr 16, 04, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ChanelCinq
Yeah thanks Darren that is why POM is not on my itinerary list. It is off to the side stating I will buy a ticket.

Geez it sure seems like I will be spending a ton of money on extra tickets besides the TWO DONE4s.

So anone know of any thru flts besides LAX-SCL?
Here are the changes that I would suggest, knowing for the most part what you want but if I accidentally changed something crucial then my apologies. It's going to be hard for you to do Dubai and there are no through flights from LAX to South America except for SCL and EZE. From New York, Dallas, and Miami, there are obviously many.

Trip 1

CAI-LHR
LHR-MRU (buy one way ticket to Seychelles)
SEZ-NBO
NBO-JIB
JIB-NBO
NBO-JNB
JNB-SYD
SYD-NOU
NOU-BNE (buy ticket to Port Moresby)
BNE-AKL
AKL-SYD
SYD-JFK
JFK-DFW
DFW-ANC (is this a mileage run or do you really want to go?)
ANC-DFW
DFW-JFK
JFK-SFO
SFO-LAX
LAX-LHR
LHR-CAI

This takes you from a gang of tickets to really two. The MRU-SEZ ticket is reasonable. Seem to remember published fares at about $200 or $250 and frankly I dont remember if local travel agencies sell consolidated or not. Might never have asked.

Trip 2

CAI-LHR
LHR-HKG
HKG-CMB
CMB-BKK
BKK-BOM
BOM-HKG
HKG-JFK
SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL
SCL-GIG
GIG-SCL
SCL-JFK
JFK-SJU
SJU-PTP (ticket to CAY)
PTP-SJU
SJU-JFK
JFK-SFO
SFO-LAX
LAX-LHR
LHR-CAI

First, I changed the order of continents so you go from Asia to South America. Added Bombay and removed the need to buy a ticket to Los Angeles. You obviously will still have to get whatever Asia and South America tickets you need because unfortunately it's tough with the limited hubs. If you take the SFO-LHR direct or if you buy the ticket to Los Angeles then you free up a segment that you could use to go to Torino if you choose (it leave from Gatwick though so you would have to take the bus if you dont stay in London). Doing DXB would be tough under the circumstances of leaving from Cairo. Doable but tough and would take a full reroute of what you have come up with. Frankly, I dont think it's worth it. If you free up two segments then you can go to Istanbul a lot easier. Can't remember if you have been or not.
Old Apr 16, 04, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Darren
Here are the changes that I would suggest, knowing for the most part what you want but if I accidentally changed something crucial then my apologies.
Darren you are a doll. Thank you, thank you for picking it apart. It doesn't hurt that you already kind of know what I want.

I really wanted to go straight from LHR to JNB because my friend in Jo'burg will be on holiday starting June 16th BUT he has gone to MRU for holiday before so perhaps I can convince him to meet me there.

I kind of wanted to go from CNS to POM rather than BNE because although expensive (limited funds for 9 mos) I really do love CNS. Sky diving and my sky diving buddies are calling me! But it has to be cheap to fly BNE-CNS. I think this whole part may need a rework. I'll think about it some more.

No Darren ANC is not a mileage run, well maybe a tiny bit. I am not one for cold places but ANC in the summer is not bad and I have always kind of wanted to check it out.

Ok now the DFW-JFK-SFO, etc. OK that is kind of mileage run and then also wanted to try a AFS flight in First (but I would use stickers and maybe it wouldn't even clear and the seats to me look less comfortable than business). But now that all seems so stupid because I could probably drop two of those segments and then perhaps go to DXB. But then I don't know how I get around the LHR rule.

Trip 2 you left out a segment or two. The 7th segment is HKG-JFK and the following segment is SCL-IPC. I like the Asia stuff and I can still buy a visit Asia if I need to.

You can cut out SCL-GIG as I can buy a Visit SA pass and I get full miles in economy.

And it would be really nice to fly right in to TRN at the end because I will have a lot of stuff since I will be moving there.

Now are there other through flights that I don't know about like IPC to somewhere besides SCL. Or JFK to ANC or any thru flts that can be made from my itinerary.

How do you find info like thru flights?

Anyway thanks again Darren you did a wonderful job. I look forward t you chopping it again a little.
Old Apr 16, 04, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ChanelCinq,
I've been a bit busy at work and so haven't been able to look to closely at the itins. There is a single flight number from SJU-LAX that you could use that and buy a rt up to sfo outside your OWE if you want to free up a segment elsewhere.

Not to complicate things too much for you but I think it might be cost effective and therefore you might want to look at buying an DONE5 from CAI and an A or DONE3 from CMB (or a DONE4 from CAI and a DONE4 from CMB (with SWP included)). You would be able hit more of the Asia cities you want to visit plus be able to visit DXB and another EUR-Mideast city. You would be doing the CAI OWE and then start and finish the CMB OWE in the middle. I started trying to write out an itinerary but haven't gotten very far yet.
jerry
Old Apr 16, 04, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
ChanelCinq,
I've been a bit busy at work and so haven't been able to look to closely at the itins.
Jerry I appreciate all your help on the other thread and I don't mean to send too much praise to Darren and not your way because you were really helpful.

I don't want you to go out of your way to come up with something only if you have time. I am visual so talking about it does not put it into perspective. I need to see it. Anyway thanks again and everyone have a good weekend.
Old Apr 16, 04, 8:24 pm

Oops about the JFK-SCL mishap. I made an assumption by one of your comments that you didnt want to go to CNS. I agree with some other poster that most internal flights in Australia aren't too bad. IPC is only direct/non-stop with SCL and PPT. Lan Chile is pretty protective of this route and has no incentive to do anything else with it. I figured that might have been the JNB thing. If that's what you want then you will absolutely have to buy a ticket to MRU since OW only serves it from London. If you can't convince him to go to Mauritius then use your pass on the JIB route and not the SEZ route. Since the SEZ flight comes from London it will be a full service flight whereas the JIB flight will be regional and less of a difference between Y and J. The option of doing CAI and CMB would work but I am not sure it will fit your schedule personally based on what we had talked about. The only easy way I can find direct flights other than just knowing what they are is on the aa.pdf file that lists the AA flights. It lists both non-stops and directs. So if there is a direct SFO-MIA through Dallas then the SFO section will have both Miami and Dallas. Finally, I think that ANC is only served by DFW and ORD since St Louis was stopped.

Search this Thread