Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

DL to acquire 20% LATAM; LA to exit OW

DL to acquire 20% LATAM; LA to exit OW

Old May 13, 20, 5:20 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,877
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
Lockdown has gotten my imagination going :P :

There was news several months ago that QR was interested to up their LATAM stake to 20% to match that of Delta's. Knowing how salty AAB can get, if this goes through and Qatar actually ups their stake to 20% (or perhaps even more?!) do you reckon it may be possible that LATAM rejoins oneworld under the influence of QR? :P

Of course this is a purely speculative scenario, but I'm just interested in what you think...

As such, I feel that it is a great loss for oneworld to have LATAM officially gone ~2 weeks ago... having flown LA and JJ on their 787s and A350s, I'll say first hand that LA had a great long-haul product (despite no direct aisle access). Additionally, the priority immigration and security at SCL was also really good...
I guess the issue is that the scale of potential collaboration between LA and DL is much greater than that between LA and QR. As long as LA wants to maintain JV with DL, it is difficult for LA to rejoin oneworld (as AA has the right to veto).
clubeurope likes this.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 8:35 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MIA
Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
I guess the issue is that the scale of potential collaboration between LA and DL is much greater than that between LA and QR. As long as LA wants to maintain JV with DL, it is difficult for LA to rejoin oneworld (as AA has the right to veto).
Why would AA be likely to veto? Granted the minority ownership by Delta may raise some awkwardness, but AA really lost a lot of feed for connections for passengers originating in South America, as well as ability for US originating passengers to connect withiin South America.
clubeurope likes this.
rens is offline  
Old May 13, 20, 10:23 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,877
Originally Posted by rens View Post
Why would AA be likely to veto? Granted the minority ownership by Delta may raise some awkwardness, but AA really lost a lot of feed for connections for passengers originating in South America, as well as ability for US originating passengers to connect withiin South America.
If LA can work with both AA and DL, then maybe AA would be okay with it. But if this were the case, LA didn't need to leave oneworld to begin with.
clubeurope likes this.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 5:23 am
  #49  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DPS, EDI
Programs: CX Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBGold, JX Insighter, Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 2,296
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
But if this were the case, LA didn't need to leave oneworld to begin with.
I feel this may just well be a political move on Delta's part. AA and LATAM was meant to enter a JV, and DL's insistence of having LATAM quit OW only reinforces a future where it would be unlikely for AA to try to pursue a JV with LATAM again.

Yet, if somehow this all could work out, and LATAM does somehow rejoin OW, it would seem to be unlikely for AA to pursue a significant cooperation with LATAM, outside of the ordinary codesharing and such. We'll just have to see what QR and their master player choses to do
ernestnywang likes this.
clubeurope is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 7:05 am
  #50  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DPS, EDI
Programs: CX Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBGold, JX Insighter, Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 2,296
OMAAT reports that LATAM has signed for Ch 11 Bankruptcy Protection. LA has secured additional funding from QR and other investors. DL will not be providing any funding.
clubeurope is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread