Wiki Posts
Search

DL to acquire 20% LATAM; LA to exit OW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nancypants
Initially I wasn’t too worried as my assumption was the QF/LA joint venture, codeshares etc would largely stand. Then I remembered DL has a fair stake in VA and I assume would want their new partner to work more closely with their existing partner rather than the competition

there’s not a huge amount of clarity but I am now basically planning a big South America trip for pre September next year just in case 😂
Well, if it makes you feel any better, it appears that LATAMs Chairman gave an interview (in Spanish) and stated they intend to continue to partner with British Airways, Iberia, and Qantas. Obviously, not perfectly clear what that means, but appears they will maintain those partnerships in some form. And I think you can assume that direction is already agreed by Delta if he was willing to state it for the record.

Here is a blog post from Gary at View From the Wing that has the salient points of the interview:
https://viewfromthewing.com/latam-di...told-american/

Regards
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Well, I have never been to Latin America, and I always thought that this is something I can do "in the future." Sure, I can do it anytime, but my oneworld status might not mean anything by the time I can visit Latin America.
Ummm... ok, this is clearly a blow to OW and AA, but let's take a deep breath. I hope that nobody would be making a decision about whether to visit an entire geographical region of the world based on membership in a frequent flier program/alliance!

I'm not sure what your OW status is now, but are you really positive that it means "that much" even now?

Regards
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Dealing with LATAM irrops has been painful enough as a OWS/E and in business class. I have no desire to test out their handling as a complete nobody 😉
PlatinumScum likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Well, I have never been to Latin America, and I always thought that this is something I can do "in the future." Sure, I can do it anytime, but my oneworld status might not mean anything by the time I can visit Latin America.

Plus, if DL seems to have a tendency to ask SkyTeam members to cut ties with CX, i. e., MU and VN. We don't know yet if LA will join SkyTeam.
Early report indicates LA will not join any alliance, but instead be part of DL-centered league. https://thepointsguy.com/news/latam-...oneworld-exit/

Also, LA long haul availability has been consistently rare, so very slim chance of going to S.A. lie flat. Some intra-S.A. flights have no business class as far as I know, so it would not be worth too much CP to begin with. Lounges might be the only thing you are missing.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Lounges might be the only thing you are missing.
And personally, that is huge.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

And personally, that is huge.
Do you really choose what parts of the world you want to experience based on lounge access? Seriously?

Look, I play this game as hard as anyone and I love benefits, freebies, etc. but I never "let the tail wag the dog" in choosing the places I want to experience.

This announcement just has absolutely, positively zero impact on my trips to Latin/South America. I was going before and I'll continue going now.

Regards
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you really choose what parts of the world you want to experience based on lounge access? Seriously?
I think we can all agree that the choice is personal, and I think either I was not expressing myself clearly, or you were over-reading my comments. I have no imminent plan to go to South America. I was just saying, for so many years, I thought that if one day I go to South America, I will be able to travel on oneworld with all the benefits, and now that thought will no longer hold, and I never expected this to happen. That's it.
wijibintheair and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

I think we can all agree that the choice is personal, and I think either I was not expressing myself clearly, or you were over-reading my comments. I have no imminent plan to go to South America. I was just saying, for so many years, I thought that if one day I go to South America, I will be able to travel on oneworld with all the benefits, and now that thought will no longer hold, and I never expected this to happen. That's it.
Fair enough, safe travels!

And for the record, I highly recommend you put South America on your radar, irrespective of lounge access, you won't regret it.

Regards
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Plus, if DL seems to have a tendency to ask SkyTeam members to cut ties with CX, i. e., MU and VN. We don't know yet if LA will join SkyTeam.
I’d think it would still be possible to visit South America and its wonders using CX and AA, IB or BA if oneworld perks and earnings are crucial to selecting destinations. And of course there are pay lounges, etc. to address the lounge issue.

As for LA joining SkyTeam, the scuttlebutt of the moment is they may not. Theoretically, DL May be breaking that mold, from their perspective.

In the meantime, there’s no current timeline for LATAM’s departure from oneworld at this time, though I’d not expect that to take very long once a date is announced.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Is there a tentative date for LATAM to leave oneworld? Any speculation?
ernestnywang and vineyarder like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

I wonder about whether it is a good idea to include any LA segments even though the xONEx tickets allow it. You buy a ticket now, then LA finally leaves OW, will they close off inventory to these tickets? I would assume that all OW benefits disappear once they leave OW, so mileage accrual or access to lounges, etc. Right?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Enrich
For mileage accrual, it depends on which FF you plan to credit. I believe the current codeshare partner such as QR, QF will still let you credit LA miles, but not AA. Since they stated they will maintain the current codeshare partner strategy. However, the lounge access might will be the issue if you happens to travel after their official designation from OW
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I wonder about whether it is a good idea to include any LA segments even though the xONEx tickets allow it. You buy a ticket now, then LA finally leaves OW, will they close off inventory to these tickets? I would assume that all OW benefits disappear once they leave OW, so mileage accrual or access to lounges, etc. Right?
I think it is unlikely that LA will suddenly stop selling D class and L class tickets.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
LATAM to leave OW

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-0...ement-on-LATAM

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. ...............
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Why start another thread about the same topic?

DL to acquire 20% LATAM; LA to exit OW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.