Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

One World Y flights 10k miles each. Where to credit to score 2 domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World Y flights 10k miles each. Where to credit to score 2 domestic flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Starting in BKK it may be QR issued. If the ticket number starts 001-xxxxx its AA issued
It starts from 001, I'm pretty sure the whole itinerary is AA issued sadly...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:18 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query is not specific to AA, let’s move this over to the oneworld forum for further discussion. /JY1024, AA forum co-moderator
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

I came to the conclusion that there is no Oneworld program which is good for domestic redemptions, especially in comparison to A* and Skyteam (which offer roundtrips for 20k miles). The best you can realistically get is 12500 miles with AA or 13000 with BA. FWIW, I ended up going with BA as it has family pooling and I could get at least one flight after pooling with family and/or transferring from Amex. Meh.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot compare ffps (OW or Star) as earnings are not the same or equal. Earn to burn is what is important.
A very simplistic measure is how many paid flights on one route to get that same flight as an award. Or how many paid flights on one route to get a specific flight route as an award. And must consider carrier award cash surcharges if applicable.
Many people earn ff miles from credit cards. A lot of cc's do transfer to various ffp's at the same rate

AA has zone based awards. For long distances that is good

BA has distance based awards. If NYC-SEA has 2 flights the total distance is added. Not just the direct NYC-SEA distance. BA is notorious for award surcharges. But IIRC not applied to AA USA domestic awards. For BA family pooling you must all live at the same address.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:43 am
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by wariobahn
It starts from 001, I'm pretty sure the whole itinerary is AA issued sadly...
So if you credit to AA you'll get 5 miles for every dollar, not including taxes and fees. It sounds like you've already decided to credit to BA. Honestly, the answer to your original question is just "no" in the sense that if this is a one-off and you'll never fly AA again before they expire then you won't get much use out of them. However, it's easy to keep AA miles active, and someday you may fly them again. I have this issue with United. I have 3,000 or so miles there that I can't use, but someday I'll use Chase Ultimate Rewards to transfer to UA, in which case I'll save 3,000 miles on the transfer.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

You cannot compare ffps (OW or Star) as earnings are not the same or equal. Earn to burn is what is important.
A very simplistic measure is how many paid flights on one route to get that same flight as an award. Or how many paid flights on one route to get a specific flight route as an award. And must consider carrier award cash surcharges if applicable.
Many people earn ff miles from credit cards. A lot of cc's do transfer to various ffp's at the same rate
Yes and in the case of crediting full Y fares, AA seems to come short because while their redemption rates are comparable, they will generally net you 70% (in my case) compared to 100% on every other partner. To a lesser extent, the same is true for OW as a whole because on other FFP's you can get domestic flights for 10k (ish flights). However, you may be right if there exist lower fare buckets which earn considerably more on, say, BA/AA as compared to Korean, the earn to burn ratio might balance out.
AA has zone based awards. For long distances that is good

BA has distance based awards. If NYC-SEA has 2 flights the total distance is added. Not just the direct NYC-SEA distance. BA is notorious for award surcharges. But IIRC not applied to AA USA domestic awards. For BA family pooling you must all live at the same address.
Agreed. Especially for premium cabins, those $1000 surcharges are insane considering that I can often find discount J fares in the 1200-1500 range one way.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
So if you credit to AA you'll get 5 miles for every dollar, not including taxes and fees. It sounds like you've already decided to credit to BA. Honestly, the answer to your original question is just "no" in the sense that if this is a one-off and you'll never fly AA again before they expire then you won't get much use out of them. However, it's easy to keep AA miles active, and someday you may fly them again. I have this issue with United. I have 3,000 or so miles there that I can't use, but someday I'll use Chase Ultimate Rewards to transfer to UA, in which case I'll save 3,000 miles on the transfer.
I can see this AA policy working well for some people on corporate travel (one of my friends books 8-10k J fares on his company travel portal a few times a year, he'd by swimming in miles). Valuing AA miles at 1.5c, it seems like a straight 7.5% discount on your fare which I suppose is not all bad, Personally, however, I must say I prefer the traditional way based on % of miles flown.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA is actually my favourite OW ffp, but I only redeem for nonstop flights, almost always in Y, and I focus on tickets where the cash price is expensive...
often the case from airports like HKG and DCA. I love how fast and easy it is to book flights.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
BA is actually my favourite OW ffp, but I only redeem for nonstop flights, almost always in Y, and I focus on tickets where the cash price is expensive...
often the case from airports like HKG and DCA. I love how fast and easy it is to book flights.
Based on my research, I agree. Among OW programs, it has some outstanding values and a lot of good ones too.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
That's really weird. If I go to Asia miles (for example) and see how much an AA Y fare code earns, it says 100%. So you're saying I'll get 70% instead?
If you are putting the flights to Asia Miles, you will earn 1 AM for every mi flown if you are booked in AA-Y and QR-Y class.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
OP speaks of domestic flights, but is it a given that it's about domestic US flights? There are tons of other OW domestic flights on AY, BA, MH that I have flown and also on S7 and others.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
OP speaks of domestic flights, but is it a given that it's about domestic US flights?
There are tons of other OW domestic flights on AY, BA, MH that I have flown and also on S7 and others.
Yes. Post 1 mentions SEA - DC/NYC, so USA
.....Where should we credit these (which FF program) so we can get one domestic flight each for free (Seattle -DC/NYC pref)?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
OK, I missed that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.