FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   KHI Turn? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1971883-khi-turn.html)

Dr. HFH May 29, 2019 10:18 pm

KHI Turn?

Has anyone here ever done a transit or turnaround at KHI? If you could post here what it was like, that would be incredibly helpful to me. Thank you.

ACN Consultant Jun 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Yes, but...

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31152146)
Has anyone here ever done a transit or turnaround at KHI? If you could post here what it was like, that would be incredibly helpful to me. Thank you.

i did a transit at KHI last year and it was relatively painless, though I think there were two things working in my favour. One, it was on the same itinerary. Two, I only had carry on luggage with me.

If you’re looking into starting an XONEX from KHI because of the currency devaluation (and I’m looking hard at them right now myself), I don’t know how easy it would be with just an electronic boarding pass if you have to position to KHI and then start a new itinerary. Having the paper boarding pass helped (I feel) avoid any issues at the transit desk/gate. I suspect given the restrictions on airspace, were you to head back out on the same inbound flight, there may be a red flag or two raised which depending on the turnaround time required, could result in unwanted delays. I was also lucky because I speak the language and look like I’m from there...

Dr. HFH Jun 30, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 31253819)
If you’re looking into starting an XONEX from KHI because of the currency devaluation (and I’m looking hard at them right now myself)....

IONE3 now just a bit under $1,000 less than ex-CMB. It's certainly getting tempting....

ACN Consultant Jun 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31254551)
IONE3 now just a bit under $1,000 less than ex-CMB. It's certainly getting tempting....

whats an IONE3?

Unterwegs Jun 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 31256717)

whats an IONE3?

If you do a search here you will find more information.
In short: It is a business class round the world ticket I = booking class, 3 = number of continents

allset2travel Jul 1, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31152146)

+1. Love to know this.

ACN Consultant Jul 1, 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 31256822)
If you do a search here you will find more information.
In short: It is a business class round the world ticket I = booking class, 3 = number of continents

i thought those were called DONE3’s?

R2 Jul 1, 2019 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 31260353)

DONE3 is a 3 continent RTW in booking class D, IONE3 is in booking class I, which generally has less availability. There are a number of threads here with a lot of information on these fares, please search / browse around.

Dr. HFH Jul 2, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 31256717)
whats an IONE3?

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 31260353)

Originally Posted by R2 (Post 31260553)
DONE3 is a 3 continent RTW in booking class D, IONE3 is in booking class I, which generally has less availability. There are a number of threads here with a lot of information on these fares, please search / browse around.

Let me save you some trouble and provide some information here. These fares are often referred to as xONEx fares. They are fares for an around-the-world trip; and this particular fare/product is exclusive to One World.

The "fare basis" is, generally, xONEy. the "x" refers to the cabin of travel, -- economy, business or first. The codes are "L" for economy, "D" or "I" for business, and "A" for first.

The "y" is for how many continents the fare covers. The "continents" for the purposes of this fare are not the same as geographic continents, but rather are really geographic regions as defined by One World which roughly follow continent definitions most of the time. What's more, some continents are divided into "zones" which may factor into the permitted routing.

As noted, the differences between I and D for business class are small, but important: 1) I is less expensive than D, 2) There is usually less I inventory than D inventory on a flight, 3) I is not available from all origination points, and 4) I fares are only available for three continent itineraries.

If you've never done one of these before, get a knowledgeable and experienced travel agent (or the AA RTW desk), and/or ask questions here in the One World forum. These fares are quite complicated and take a while to figure out.

Regards,

serfty Jul 2, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31262139)
... As noted, the differences between I and D for business class are small, but important: 1) I is less expensive than D, 2) There is usually less I inventory than D inventory on a flight, 3) I is not available from all origination points, and 4) I fares are only available for three continent itineraries.

FWIW, the DONEx's have been around since last century.

IONEx's appear to be a relatively recent product - the first reference I can find in this forum is from just 17 months ago.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29020089-post2243.html

allset2travel Jul 2, 2019 5:42 pm

Rules doe IONE3?

Has anyone flown an IONE3?

Are the rules for IONE3 same as those applied to DONEx?

jerry a. laska Jul 2, 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 31263370)
FWIW, the DONEx's have been around since last century.

IONEx's appear to be a relatively recent product - the first reference I can find in this forum is from just 17 months ago.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29020089-post2243.html

IONEXs have been around since 2014.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...d-product.html

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 31263475)

Dr. HFH is flying one now! I believe he has flown others in the past. Rules are the same, other than booking class and inventory; I is more restricted than D. As noted by Dr. HFH they are only offered in a few countries (all in Asia, the last time I looked).

Because of this more restrictive inventory I have not purchased one as I often change my dates and flights.

Dr. HFH Jul 2, 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 31263475)

I'm in the middle of one now. Yes, the rules are the same.

allset2travel Jul 2, 2019 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31263699)
I'm in the middle of one now. Yes, the rules are the same.

That's really cool!

So now let's revisit your OP (Post #!). Can you shed some light on your own Q? Thanks.

Dr. HFH Jul 2, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 31263842)
That's really cool!

So now let's revisit your OP (Post #!). Can you shed some light on your own Q? Thanks.

No, -- my original question was about starting at KHI. I'm in the middle of an IONE3, but it didn't start at KHI.