FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Airlines Exchange Rates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1967044-airlines-exchange-rates.html)

anc305 Apr 26, 2019 10:56 am

Airlines Exchange Rates

I know that airlines use a lot of different terms in regards to currency exchanges. i.e. IATA (CDR) (FDR) (MMR) and I have heard many RTW ticket agents refer to the BSR. Does anyone know on what date QR, CX, and AA update their BSR and how long is valid ? I know in the past it could make several hundred dollars difference in the price of a DONEX versus the actually exchange rate on the day the ticket is quoted.

Thanks

Dr. HFH Apr 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by anc305 (Post 31039913)
I know that airlines use a lot of different terms in regards to currency exchanges. i.e. IATA (CDR) (FDR) (MMR) and I have heard many RTW ticket agents refer to the BSR. Does anyone know on what date QR, CX, and AA update their BSR and how long is valid ? I know in the past it could make several hundred dollars difference in the price of a DONEX versus the actually exchange rate on the day the ticket is quoted.

If you book with the RTW desk, they will construct the itinerary, and you then typically have five or seven days in which to ticket. The RTW desk sends it to the Rate Desk for faring. The rate desk usually gets the rate done and sent back wihin 24 hours. That fare is attached to the PNR and is valid for ticketing until the initial ticketing deadline.

ernestnywang Apr 26, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by anc305 (Post 31039913)

Thanks

It is the Bankers Selling Rate (BSR). It depends on the currency, but for most major currencies it is daily. TWD used to be only updated on Wednesday using the exchange rate from Bank of Taiwan at 4pm on Tuesday (so one could decide whether to wait for another day to issue the ticket or issue now to save a bit), but now it is also daily, and no longer based on the Bank of Taiwan exchange rate. Changes are reflected at 12am midnight of the place of issue (so Rate of Exchange (ROE) does not change within a calendar day based on the timezone of the place of issue), although in some jurisdictions it is possible to issue from a stored price quote as long as it is within 24 hours. The BSP does not differ between airlines or agents, but time zone matters, and fares need to be converted to the currency of the place of issue.

anc305 Apr 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 31040407)
It is the Bankers Selling Rate (BSR). It depends on the currency, but for most major currencies it is daily. TWD used to be only updated on Wednesday using the exchange rate from Bank of Taiwan at 4pm on Tuesday (so one could decide whether to wait for another day to issue the ticket or issue now to save a bit), but now it is also daily, and no longer based on the Bank of Taiwan exchange rate. Changes are reflected at 12am midnight of the place of issue (so Rate of Exchange (ROE) does not change within a calendar day based on the timezone of the place of issue), although in some jurisdictions it is possible to issue from a stored price quote as long as it is within 24 hours. The BSP does not differ between airlines or agents, but time zone matters, and fares need to be converted to the currency of the place of issue.

Thanks. I was thinking it was now changing daily. Just was not sure.

Dr. HFH Apr 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Anyone here remember FCUs?