Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

What Happened to Asia Transit between N/A & SWP

Old Apr 5, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Did the rules recently change? I thought one used to be able to transit Asia between US & South Pacific, but now I see the rule says between Europe & SWP.
I'm pretty sure I've done N/A - (Asia) - SWP recently; i.e., in the past year.

Q: Can I backtrack?
A: You can backtrack within countries and continents, but you cannot re-enter a continent after leaving it, except: (a) a transit without stopover in Asia on a flight between Europe and SWP or vice versa,
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See this thread discussing the transit Asia rule:
Transit Asia Rule
The rule was always poorly written but has been changed over the years to try to make it more clear that the transit is only allowed between SWP-(Asia)-EUR. Now and then someone has been able to transit Asia on the way to NA but this is not how most of Oneworld used to interpret the rule and now interprets the rule.
Old Apr 5, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
If you transit Asia between EUR and SWP, you should be able to use your stopover "rights" on the way from SWP to NA.... You paid for Asia....

Just wandering
Fred
Old Apr 6, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep View Post
Did the rules recently change? I thought one used to be able to transit Asia between US & South Pacific, but now I see the rule says between Europe & SWP.
I'm pretty sure I've done N/A - (Asia) - SWP recently; i.e., in the past year.

Q: Can I backtrack?
A: You can backtrack within countries and continents, but you cannot re-enter a continent after leaving it, except: (a) a transit without stopover in Asia on a flight between Europe and SWP or vice versa,
With the rule change in Aug-2017 there is no longer a "Transit Asia Rule".
The rule previously allowed a second, transit only, visit to Asia.
The Aug-2017 rule change removed the requirement that one visit be a "transfer without stopover", but made explicit that one of the visits must be for travel between SWP and Europe/Middle East.
The current wording of the rule is:
4(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
  1. Two permitted in North America.
  2. Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
  3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
    If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa
So, to answer your question:
If your first visit to Asia is N/A - (Asia) - SWP
Then yes you can backtrack to Asia, but you must then travel on to Europe/Middle East (which in turn means that you cannot travel SWP-(Asia)-Africa.
You can now stopover in Asia on both visits.

Search this Thread