Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Odd routing in J - maybe RTW? any thoughts welcome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

So I find myself with a need to be in Melbourne for a week in August. The odd thing is that the previous week I'll be in Seattle on a family trip on a ticket I've already bought.

I basically need to get from SEA-MEL and then back from MEL - LON. The best I can seem to work out is two separate tickets, YVR-MEL on JL/QF and then MEL-LHR on AY (actually QF to SIN/HKG and then AY on to HEL/LHR). It pricing out right about Ł4500-5000. I can get that down a bit by flying into OSL or AMS...

My question is, am I overlooking something? I travel to AUS at least once per year and the states as well, so could provably do an RTW, but I can't quite figure out the routing and the nesting... or whether or not it's actually a good deal?

By the way am BA Gold/OWE so definitely want to stick with OW carriers!

Thanks for any thoughts! :-)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
To begin a DONE4 from the US, the base fare costs over US$10K (plus taxes & carrier surcharges). On the other hand, doing a DONE4 ex-TYO costs US$7K (plus taxes & carrier surcharges). You have to position to TYO though.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What's happening with the return portion on LON-SEA for the family trip? Can you provide details on that itinerary?

A DONE4 ex-Canada is US$2200 cheaper (base price) than ex-USA ($8110 v. $10299.) That's one option.

Do you have enough Avios for a one-way J flight from YVR/SEA to Tokyo? (Note JAL starts nonstop service from SEA this spring so no plane change/additional Avios required.) If so you could start a DONE4 in Japan.

I think in general a DONEx RTW ticket isn't terribly cost-effective unless one can use most of the 16 allowed segments, thereby getting the cost per segment down. If that's your case, or if you can leverage personal travel into business trips, or use the stopover provisions to break up the RTW ticket over a year's time, with two or more trips separated by a lengthy time at home (as a "stopover") then looking at serial RTWs might be a good thing. Pick an affordable starting place that's close to home (in your case, Norway, maybe) and just do one a year.

I'd also keep an eye on the "premium fare deals" board - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ - where some excellent deals are popping up all the time.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:40 pm

You might find it cheaper just to go back to SEA from MEL and then use your existing ticket to go back.
You might also look into a cheap ticket (or other transport) and buy Vancouver-MEL (and back).

RTWs are only cost effective when you maximize the number of stops and the mileage etc. You could use such a RTW to make multiple stops in the US and in Asia without adding much cost.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it. After looking into it, decided that the most cost efficient approach was indeed to just go yvr-mel and mel-lon so found the most reasonable tickets for those routes and booked them! Thank you as always for the tips. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.