FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Emerald status expires MID-TRIP help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1959471-emerald-status-expires-mid-trip-help.html)

lk1982 Mar 5, 2019 9:33 am

Emerald status expires MID-TRIP help

I am BA EC Gold, which earned me Emerald Tier status with Oneworld. I'm flying to from London to Phuket on Qatar on March 23 - while I am still officially BAGold/Oneworld Emerald. However, my status drops from Gold to Silver on March 31 (from Emerald to Sapphire). I fly back on April 3.

My question is, will I lose my ability to access the first class lounge at Doha on the way back? And does anyone know whether the Qatar lounge agent scanning my boarding pass will actually see that I lost that status on his/her computer? Thank you.

allset2travel Mar 5, 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by lk1982 (Post 30850778)
I am BA EC Gold, which earned me Emerald Tier status with Oneworld. I'm flying to from London to Phuket on Qatar on March 23 - while I am still officially BAGold/Oneworld Emerald. However, my status drops from Gold to Silver on March 31 (from Emerald to Sapphire). I fly back on April 3.

My question is, will I lose my ability to access the first class lounge at Doha on the way back? And does anyone know whether the Qatar lounge agent scanning my boarding pass will actually see that I lost that status on his/her computer? Thank you.

To get the real answer, go here:
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DOH

You will not have access to F lounge, but you can access Oryx & QR's Business Lounge. I think BP does reflect your current status.
Before you enter the lounge, staff will check your BP at the bottom of the escalator. They will point you to your lounge.

Nicc HK Mar 9, 2019 9:04 pm

Depends on class of travel. Here is my experience of QR lounges at Doha.

1. Unless you are flying First, no access to Al-Safwa First.
2. Business class tickets on QR and OneWorld flights get access to Al-Mourjan Business. Access is via the escalator with QR guards/staff at the bottom.
3. OneWorld status passengers not in Business or First are shunted off to the distinctly inferior Oryx Lounge which I think any passenger can pay for access as well.

Do look out for the giant cuddly bear in the main atrium.

Dr. HFH Mar 10, 2019 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 30867769)
1. Unless you are flying First, no access to Al-Safwa First.

J pax with AM access can purchase access to AS. Ask at the AM reception desk.

Nicc HK Mar 10, 2019 6:04 am

Thanks. Interesting new information. Good to know,

moa999 Mar 11, 2019 5:10 am

OP doesn't mention what class they are flying, so I'm assuming Economy on QR.

If so no access to Al Mourjan or Al Safwa (which are the two very nice lounges in Doha)
As flying QR no access to Oryx (only those flying BA, RJ and UL).

So access would be to the QR First lounge as Emerald and QR Business lounge as Sapphire. From what I've read there isn't substantial difference between the two.

dici Mar 11, 2019 6:20 pm

I visited QR Business Lounge before, it rather to be small, noisy and pack unless you visit it during midnight. Maybe first class lounge is slightly better

Rami Tamimi Mar 12, 2019 5:37 am

The OP is not asking which lounge can they access, but if they can access the lounge with an expired card.

Obviously, the official answer is no. In reality, however, it takes time for the new status to be reflected in the GDS/DCS even if you are flying with the same airline you have status with. It takes even longer for the new status to be seen by the OW members, up to 2-3 weeks in some cases.

In this particular case, if your enter the FFP into the booking before the status actually expires, I don't think the QR system will be quick enough to see that you lost status 3 days ago.

Would be grateful if you could let us know what happened at the end :)