One World Branded Lounges - 2019 debutante lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.

Any speculations as to where the first OW Branded Lounge will open in 2019? (https://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-to...irport-lounges)

Some speculate at ICN as that's where the next IATA general meeting is being held. But according to a colleague that passed through ICN two days ago, no new lounge appears to be under construction at the 4th floor level.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Any speculations as to where the first OW Branded Lounge will open in 2019? (https://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-to...irport-lounges)

Some speculate at ICN as that's where the next IATA general meeting is being held. But according to a colleague that passed through ICN two days ago, no new lounge appears to be under construction at the 4th floor level.
I guess, New airport in Beijing.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
"One World Branded Lounges - 2019 debutante lounge"

A debutante is a young woman. Even in Australia. I'm surprised that the proofreaders or editors at ABT let that one by. The writer meant to say "debut," of course.
ernestnywang and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From another thread
Originally Posted by serfty
The business lounge at TBIT has had the name "Oneworld Business Lounge (operated by Qantas)" since it opened

On the other hand, the other TBIT facility is simply the "Qantas First Lounge".
<snip>
My opinion is some (other) lounges operated by an OW airline will be rebranded OW (=signage)
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
A bit of a list of possibilities I can think of.
​​​​I've left out airports where there are already multiple lounges that I don't see being combined at least in the near term such as LHR, BKK, SIN, NRT.
Per the other thread, many are the BA North American lounges

New airports
Beijing Daxing (although historically the airport operator has operated most lounges in China) (AA, BA, CX, AY, MH, QF, QR, S7 + FJ - assuming they all move)
Istanbul (BA, QR, RJ + AT) (YouTube video by Paul Lucas shows a Turkish, Skyteam and IGA lounge and a blank space)
JFK T8 (with recent announcement that BA will move in by 2022 and terminal expansion) (BA, CX, IB, QF)

Possible rebrands (and current operator)
Qantas
LAX - Business (already oneworld title) and First
PER - QF no longer operates from this terminal (CX, MH, QR + JQ/3K)
British Airways
BOS (BA, CX, QR, AT + Level)
EWR (BA, CX, + EI/Level)
PHL (BA, QR)
IAD (BA, CX, QR + Level)
ORD (BA, CX, AY, JL, RJ + EI)
IAH (BA, QR)
SEA (BA, CX, JL + EI)
Cathay
SFO (BA, CX, AY, IB, JL, QF + FJ, EI, Level)
Japan / Qantas
HNL (JL, QF + FJ/JQ) (but JL lounge is brand new)
American
Miami E (BA, AY, LA, IB, QR, +AT, EI) (was previously called Premium Lounge)

Last edited by moa999; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:42 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
A debutante is a young woman. Even in Australia. I'm surprised that the proofreaders or editors at ABT let that one by. The writer meant to say "debut," of course.

LOL I know Right... I wrote that with hesitation as well.. LOL
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999
A bit of a list of possibilities I can think of.
​​​​I've left out airports where there are already multiple lounges that I don't see being combined at least in the near term such as LHR, BKK, SIN, NRT.
Per the other thread, many are the BA North American lounges

New airports
Beijing Daxing (although historically the airport operator has operated most lounges in China) (AA, BA, CX, AY, MH, QF, QR, S7 + FJ - assuming they all move)
Istanbul (BA, QR, RJ + AT) (YouTube video by Paul Lucas shows a Turkish, Skyteam and IGA lounge and a blank space)
JFK T8 (with recent announcement that BA will move in by 2022 and terminal expansion) (BA, CX, IB, QF)

Possible rebrands (and current operator)
Qantas
LAX - Business (already oneworld title) and First
PER - QF no longer operates from this terminal (CX, MH, QR + JQ/3K)
British Airways
BOS (BA, CX, QR, AT + Level)
EWR (BA, CX, + EI/Level)
PHL (BA, QR)
IAD (BA, CX, QR + Level)
ORD (BA, CX, AY, JL, RJ + EI)
IAH (BA, QR)
SEA (BA, CX, JL + EI)
Cathay
SFO (BA, CX, AY, IB, JL, QF + FJ, EI, Level)
Japan / Qantas
HNL (JL, QF + FJ/JQ) (but JL lounge is brand new)
American
Miami E (BA, AY, LA, IB, QR, +AT, EI) (was previously called Premium Lounge)

Nice list indeed... I only know SFO well enough to be "disappointed" if it gets a OW lounge because AA international bound flyers on AA metal would not have access to it since there is no airport access T2 and the international terminal airport side.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Nice list indeed... I only know SFO well enough to be "disappointed" if it gets a OW lounge because AA international bound flyers on AA metal would not have access to it since there is no airport access T2 and the international terminal airport side.
I believe AA's operation in SFO is domestic only?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I believe AA's operation in SFO is domestic only?
Exactly my point! It's bad enough that I have to go to LAX to get better lounge access when I'm traveling international on my usual flights. I don't have access to CX and BA F lounges until I get there.

At least there are the drink chits given at the AC when they see I'm going abroad.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:29 am

Exactly my point! It's bad enough that I have to go to LAX to get better lounge access when I'm traveling international on my usual flights. I don't have access to CX and BA F lounges until I get there.

At least there are the drink chits given at the AC when they see I'm going abroad.
Ah, got you!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Hi, I'm, 'the writer' 'Debutante' was my deliberate choice, as the word can be used beyond its core meaning of 'a young woman making her formal entry into society'. I like to use a little variety and colour in my writing and 'debutante' achieves this while also conveying the meaning of 'first Oneworld-branded lounge'.

As to which airport will see this lounge: there's a shortlist of three, ICN is believed to be one of those. And that'd make sense given that Oneworld CEO will announce the lounge at the IATA 2019 AGM which happens to be in Seoul.

Cathay was previously looking at a new lounge for ICN but now says “we are reviewing the permanent lounge proposition in Terminal 1 due to the airline terminal moves that have been required by Incheon Airport Authority.”

There's also seven Oneworld member airlines making direct flights from Seoul, so that makes a decent roster of non-‘home team’ airlines.

So, those factors tilt in favour of ICN as the first of the new Oneworld-branded, built and managed lounges, which the alliance has said will open in the second half of 2019. That could be as late as Nov/Dec 2019.

However, ICN is not a lock, my information is that there are several moving parts in this decision which could see either of the two other shortlisted lounges (locations not known) take the ribbon.

Personally I've long thought that SFO would be an ideal spot for a Oneworld lounge, but BA says it is refurbishing its SFO lounge, and there's also the issue of finding sufficient contiguous space, as the current lounges are rather scattered.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:48 am

Just an update to this: IATA Seoul has kicked off and Oneworld CEO says the choice as to location of the alliance's first lounge has not been made, talks continue with several airports and while it seems an announcement won't be too far away (from what we hear on the cocktail circuit chatter), the designed debutante first lounge may not open its doors until 2020.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-pu...ounges-to-2020
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:09 am

OW just announced it, right before the end of the year. It will be DME: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-1...-press-release

Contrary to popular beliefs, it will actually début at an airport that is a oneworld hub and the hub of one of its members, as opposed to an airport served by many OW carriers but not a OW hub (e. g., ICN). I wonder how come OW and S7 agreed on such idea - I assume the vast majority of the lounge users will be taking S7. DME isn't even served by that many OW members.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
OW just announced it, right before the end of the year. It will be DME: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-1...-press-release
Contrary to popular beliefs, it will actually début at an airport that is a oneworld hub and the hub of one of its members, as opposed to an airport served by many OW carriers but not a OW hub (e. g., ICN)
Actually, contrary to what the Oneworld CEO said when he announced the alliance's plan for its own-branded lounge network near the beginning of this year:

“The idea is that we develop these where no single airline has a massive presence, but we have multiple airlines flying into the same airport, maybe with daily flights. So while collectivity we (as Oneworld) have a lot of flights, no single airline could justify the cost of the lounge.”
This does open up some interesting options: might it mean we could see Oneworld-branded lounges at airports or terminals which are home to a Oneworld member airline? It sounds to me like everything's on the table now and it will come down to a multitude of factors beyond airport / terminal expansion and potential consolidation of a number of smaller member lounges if there's a larger, singular space available. If you wound the clock back a bunch of years, in an alternate reality, LHR T3 would for example have been a prime candidate for a single Oneworld lounge.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:14 pm

Just going to add this, for the sake of fuelling speculation LOL: Moscow-based Total Architects lists one of its projects as an S7 Airlines Business Lounge at Domodedovo airport which is currently "under construction". I've given to wonder if, and again this is a family-sized bundle of speculation, Oneworld might in fact be taking over this project in order to bring its own-branded lounge to life?

Some concept pics (from Total Architects) of the new S7 lounge attached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.