FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Incorporate two Canadian cities in a Oneworld RTW Award, Montreal to Vancouver. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1950026-incorporate-two-canadian-cities-oneworld-rtw-award-montreal-vancouver.html)

motef Jan 8, 2019 11:07 pm

Incorporate two Canadian cities in a Oneworld RTW Award, Montreal to Vancouver.

Hi

Im looking for advice on how to incorporate two Canadian cities in a Oneworld RTW Award, Montreal to Vancouver.

We are looking at
BNE - LAX - JFK - YUL - YVR - NRT or HKG - BNE

It all seems to hang together except the YUL - YVR as I cant find OW routes

Any help would be much appreciated

Have possibly thought about doing it the other way around of
BNE - HKG or NRT - YVR - JFK - YUL - JFK - LAX - BNE
but that's not ideal

pauq Jan 9, 2019 4:12 am

That's probably because there isn't any. Canada has no domestic OW carrier so if you want that route you'll have to go transborder as you already suggested.

yyznomad Jan 9, 2019 5:13 am

Well, AFAIK, FWIW, WS does codeshare with some OW members but I have no clue if they would be included in their flight reward options.

YVR Cockroach Jan 9, 2019 1:43 pm

A baby could have been born and grown in an adult, almost, since there was OW presence within Canada. More or approximately the same time since there was *A presence within Australia.

motef Jan 9, 2019 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 30633377)
A baby could have been born and grown in an adult, almost, since there was OW presence within Canada. More or approximately the same time since there was *A presence within Australia.

Love it. That made me laugh so much.

So in terms of routing if I must stay on an OW carrier is it best to go from YUL back to JFK or is there another hub I can use to get to YVR?

JimInOhio Jan 9, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by motef (Post 30634388)
Love it. That made me laugh so much.

So in terms of routing if I must stay on an OW carrier is it best to go from YUL back to JFK or is there another hub I can use to get to YVR?

This isn't all that easy. Does Cathay Pacific ticket from JFK to YVR? Short of that, I imagine the only other single connection possible with OW is AA through DFW.

guv1976 Jan 9, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 30634498)
This isn't all that easy. Does Cathay Pacific ticket from JFK to YVR? Short of that, I imagine the only other single connection possible with OW is AA through DFW.

CX does indeed carry local traffic between JFK and YVR -- in both directions. But if Canada has an anti-cabotage law, the OP might be required to spend at least 24 hours in NYC before continuing on to Canada.

If the oneworld ticket permits ground segments, YUL-ALB/BTV, or SEA-YVR might be worth exploring.

motef Jan 9, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30634580)
CX does indeed carry local traffic between JFK and YVR -- in both directions. But if Canada has an anti-cabotage law, the OP might be required to spend at least 24 hours in NYC before continuing on to Canada.

If the oneworld ticket permits ground segments, YUL-ALB/BTV, or SEA-YVR might be worth exploring.

Ground segments are allowed. They are just counted in the overall mileage.

I don't understand the YUL-ALB/BTV, or SEA-YVR option?

Can you explain. Thanks

Mwenenzi Jan 9, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by motef (Post 30630518)
Hi
Im looking for advice on how to incorporate two Canadian cities in a Oneworld RTW Award, Montreal to Vancouver.

We are looking at
BNE - LAX - JFK - YUL - YVR - NRT or HKG - BNE

Originally Posted by motef (Post 30634611)
Ground segments are allowed. They are just counted in the overall mileage.

I don't understand the YUL-ALB/BTV, or SEA-YVR option?
Can you explain. Thanks

Assume this is a QF 280,000 points 15 segment RTW award? (One of the better features of the QF ffp compared to other QF awards)
Will not have the same rules as *ONE* which many people here will have knowledge of.

Swap SEA for YVR. SEA-YVR is not far as a ground segment. A lot of transport options including train.
Route -->Great Circle Mapper

Route 2 http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=+YUL-AL...V&MS=wls&DU=mi

motef Jan 9, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30634666)
Assume this is a QF 280,000 points 15 segment RTW award? (One of the better features of the QF ffp compared to other QF awards)
Will not have the same rules as *ONE* which many people here will have knowledge of.

Swap SEA for YVR. SEA-YVR is not far as a ground segment. A lot of transport options including train.

Yes it is a QF oneWorld Classic Flight Reward

So I see you are saying to do YUL - JFK - SEA then land to YVR.

Mwenenzi Jan 9, 2019 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by motef (Post 30634718)
Yes it is a QF oneWorld Classic Flight Reward

So I see you are saying to do YUL - JFK - SEA then land to YVR.

Yes. If you want to visit Vancouver, consider flying into SEA. Then take land transport up to Vancouver (~200miles). Both are way better cities/areas than most North American cities. Pacific NW is a nice area to visit.

Same on the other side of USA/Canada for YUL

smallmj Jan 10, 2019 5:12 am

Can't you fly YUL-ORD-YVR? though to avoid cabotage regulations you'd have to spend 24 hours in ORD.

JimInOhio Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am

Originally Posted by smallmj (Post 30635928)
Can't you fly YUL-ORD-YVR? though to avoid cabotage regulations you'd have to spend 24 hours in ORD.

Looks like AA doesn't fly ORD-YVR every day of the week. To be fully unencumbered by cabotage regs, my guess is YUL-ORD-SEA is the easiest option.