Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Musings: Royal Air Maroc – time to change the xONEn continent definitions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musings: Royal Air Maroc – time to change the xONEn continent definitions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Lightbulb Musings: Royal Air Maroc – time to change the xONEn continent definitions?

OK I know, AT’s joining Oneworld won’t happen for 18 months. But hey, this is FT and we like discussing what might happen in the future, right? I’m just throwing this out there, to see what fellow FTers think of it – good points/bad points, that sort of thing

My first idea is that the definition of the continent of North Africa should change to include the six North African countries that are currently defined to be part of Europe/Middle East
(the six countries are Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Sudan)

My second idea is that the Middle East should cease being part of Europe/Middle East and become part of a new continent, namely Africa/Middle East (and of course Europe will become its own continent)

AT’s Route Map
AT’s Route Map shows that the airline flies from Morocco to:
  • various African destinations (including Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli and Cairo, but not Khartoum),
  • various European destinations,
  • a few Middle Eastern destinations (Beirut, Doha, Riyadh and Jeddah)
  • three North American destinations (YUL, JFK and IAD)
  • two South American destinations (GIG and GRU)
It does not fly further East than the Middle East, and its most southerly destination in Africa is Luanda, Angola. It does not connect to any Comair flights in southern Africa (Comair is the BA subsidiary that has small southern African network)

If the Current Definition does not change
Flying from the Americas to Morocco means you are flying to the continent of Europe/Middle East, NOT to Africa (so there will still be no North America-Africa flight available)

So AT will be just another Europe/Middle East carrier that flies to Africa, the same as BA, IB and QR. Adding a few more destinations there for sure, but not providing decent coverage of Africa

If North Africa becomes part of Africa
Flying from the Americas to Morocco means you are now flying non-stop to the continent of Africa

From Morocco you could use AT’s network to visit Africa, including North Africa

However, the only ways to proceed are:
- take a surface segment to southern Africa, and proceed from there (to Asia or South West Pacific)
- or fly to Europe/Middle East

Taking a surface segment to southern Africa means that Europe/Middle East can be avoided. This will make possible 3-continent itineraries that include both Africa and Nth America
(Nth America – Africa –Asia/SWP – Nth America)

If the new continent Africa/Middle East is defined
  • The continent would have four Oneworld carriers – AT, BA (Comair), RJ and QR
  • Good coverage of the continent
  • Good connectivity to other continents.
  • Some intra-continent connectivity between AT and QR/RJ

Last edited by pandaperth; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:53 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
While the way OW breaks up continents does not 100% conform with IATA definitions, save for countries that OW members don't actually fly to, there is almost a match. IATA groups Northern Africa and Middle East with Europe.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Dec 11, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by pandaperth
My second idea is that the Middle East should cease being part of Europe/Middle East and become part of a new continent, namely Africa/Middle East (and of course Europe will become its own continent)
My initial thoughts on this would be to ask whether those who fly from the Americas to DOH on QR are more likely to want to then use four segments within EUR/ME or AFR/ME - and I'd suspect they'd rather backtrack to EUR...

Could it perhaps be possible to group N. AFR/ME together and make them a kind of half continent, whereby you can visit the rest of EUR -or- the rest of AFR without needing to add a continent? If you visit both continental EUR and sub-Saharan AFR then the usual continent count increases.

e.g.
Americas-CMN-Africa-(DOH)-Asia-Americas - "xONE3AFR"
Americas-CMN-Europe-Asia-Americas - "xONE3EUR"
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
My first idea is that the definition of the continent of North Africa should change to include the six North African countries that are currently defined to be part of Europe/Middle East (the six countries are Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Sudan)
... resulting in an increased price to anyone who wants to fly to CAI or Morocco, -- xONE3 would now need to be xONE4. I'm not sure how that benefits passengers.
moa999 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Are you saying that the main advantage of the change would be to allow an xONE3 that would otherwise be an xONE4? E.g., North America, Africa, and either Europe or South America?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... resulting in an increased price to anyone who wants to fly to CAI or Morocco, -- xONE3 would now need to be xONE4. I'm not sure how that benefits passengers.
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you saying that the main advantage of the change would be to allow an xONE3 that would otherwise be an xONE4? E.g., North America, Africa, and either Europe or South America?
Well, there are several things here.

1. I don't think that an itinerary of N.A., Africa and Europe-or-S.A. would work for an xONEx ticket. From the Rules,
4(a) Travel must be via the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and only one crossing of each ocean is permitted.
What would your TPAC leg be?

2. Pandaperth talks a couple of times about the continent of North Africa.
My first idea is that the definition of the continent of North Africa should change to include the six North African countries that are currently defined to be part of Europe/Middle East (the six countries are Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Sudan)
There is no continent of North Africa in the rules. In Rule 0, continents are defined as Europe/Middle East, Africa, Asia, Southwest Pacific, North America, and South America.

3. Currently, Egypt and Morocco can be visited on an xONE3 starting in Europe, N.A., or Asia. If you move them into Africa and keep the same starting point, then you would need an xONE4 to visit them.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

So firstly, there's not a lot of interest in this topic, judging by the dearth of replies
Secondly, I have to apologise for an inadvertent error in the first post
When I wrote
My first idea is that the definition of the continent of North Africa should change...
I meant to write
My first idea is that the definition of the continent of Africa should change...
Elsewhere in the first post, where I referred to North Africa I was referring to the region, not a new continent I was suggesting
Apologies for any confusion caused
I will amend my first post accordingly

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
While the way OW breaks up continents does not 100% conform with IATA definitions, save for countries that OW members don't actually fly to, there is almost a match. IATA groups Northern Africa and Middle East with Europe.
I was not aware of this. So my idea might add to issues with SABRE's autovalidation/autopricing of itineraries
Originally Posted by JAXBA

My initial thoughts on this would be to ask whether those who fly from the Americas to DOH on QR are more likely to want to then use four segments within EUR/ME or AFR/ME - and I'd suspect they'd rather backtrack to EUR...

As for most changes in life, there are winners and there are losers
The winners would be those wanting to get from North America to Africa without having to touch (and therefore pay for) either Europe or South America

Could it perhaps be possible to group N. AFR/ME together and make them a kind of half continent, whereby you can visit the rest of EUR -or- the rest of AFR without needing to add a continent? If you visit both continental EUR and sub-Saharan AFR then the usual continent count increases.

e.g.
Americas-CMN-Africa-(DOH)-Asia-Americas - "xONE3AFR"
Americas-CMN-Europe-Asia-Americas - "xONE3EUR"
My first reaction is :EEK:

My second reaction is recall the difficulties airline fares teams had with correctly interpreting the rules on backtracking to Europe/Middle East. Remember tables like this?
Yes, an increase for those that want to go Egypt/Morocco and Europe
But not for those that want to go Egypt/Morocco and Africa
Winners and Losers

Originally Posted by anabolism
No. The main advantage is good coverage of Africa/Middle East
More options for xONE3s is an added benefit

Well, there are several things here.
[snip]
2. Pandaperth talks a couple of times about the continent of North Africa.There is no continent of North Africa in the rules. In Rule 0, continents are defined as Europe/Middle East, Africa, Asia, Southwest Pacific, North America, and South America.
Apologies for the confusion

3. Currently, Egypt and Morocco can be visited on an xONE3 starting in Europe, N.A., or Asia. If you move them into Africa and keep the same starting point, then you would need an xONE4 to visit them.
Not necessarily
Starting in N.A. or Asia you could substitute Africa/Middle East for Europe and still have an xONE3
Starting in Europe, it would have to be an xONE4
Winners and Losers
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I was not aware of this. So my idea might add to issues with SABRE's autovalidation/autopricing of itineraries
Yes and no. For example, right now the oneworld continent definition and IATA continent definition are not the same for Libya (but I don't think any oneworld airline flies to Libya currently, although RJ used to), so the routing section of the xONEx fare rules needs to make a special note on that. On the other hand, there is a general zone code for North Africa, so there is no need to list every single country as exceptions. Nevertheless, it would be much easier to write those routing codes for autoprice if the oneworld definition and IATA definition exactly align.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see oneworld tweaking a rule here or there but I don't think they'll change the whole continent system.

On the other hand, suppose AT starts a non-stop on CMN-JNB. I don't know what the O&D is on that route, but timing-wise AT could become one of the most efficient one-stops from JNB to JFK.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
I can see oneworld tweaking a rule here or there but I don't think they'll change the whole continent system.

On the other hand, suppose AT starts a non-stop on CMN-JNB. I don't know what the O&D is on that route, but timing-wise AT could become one of the most efficient one-stops from JNB to JFK.
The Oneworld announcement stated that So my (totally uninformed) guess is that JNB will be one of Air Maroc's new destinations

In addition to JFK, the other North American ports served by Air Maroc might also get good connections in CMN to JNB.

But if the continent definition does not change, then on an xONEx such flights would be "touching" (and therefore paying for) Europe/Middle East
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Not to mention a nice way to avoid LHR taxes/surcharges on an OWE ticket ex-JNB.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Not to mention a nice way to avoid LHR taxes/surcharges on an OWE ticket ex-JNB.
+1. Merry Christmas !!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
But if the continent definition does not change, then on an xONEx such flights would be "touching" (and therefore paying for) Europe/Middle East
No different to flights between Europe and Australia considered to touch Asia
currently SYD-(SIN-)LHR, PER-LHR
in the past also SYD-(DXB-)LHR, MEL-(DXB-)LHR, SYD-(BKK-)LHR, MEL-(SIN-)LHR, MEL-(HKG-)LHR and I may have forgotten some
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Add Miami to RAM's North American Destinations:
https://onemileatatime.com/royal-air-maroc-miami/

It carried 7.3 million passengers last year on a fleet of 55 aircraft, with a network that currently connects its Casablanca base with 94 destinations in 49 countries across Africa, Europe, the Middle East and North and South America, including oneworld hubs Doha, London Heathrow, Madrid, Moscow Domodedovo, New York JFK, Miami, and Sao Paulo.

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform...orld/maximized

Last edited by gkbiiii; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Wink Royal Air Maroc's African Destination Map

Royal Air Maroc's vast African Destination Map. Great for businessmen, who have to go, to unpleasant places for work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.