Reload this Page >

A class is available on Cathay but won't let me have it

Old Sep 6, 18, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat

HI
Just been making a change to my AONE4 which orginated in Japan and wanted to change my flight JFK to HKG and although Expertflyer and indeed the agent I spoke to said there was A class available on the flight I wanted they could not let me have it as my ticket was bought in Tokyo
The crazy thing is that I can have it as the AA codeshare .....
Why on earth would Cathay prefer that ? Presumably that portion of the fare now goes to AA and not them ??
Seems bonkers
For various reasons I really wanted to book it as CX
But is this within the rules of the ticket .....? I've not heard of point of sale preventing availability
Thanks for any light that you anyone can shed

And any thoughts on who I can take this up with at CX ...
Old Sep 6, 18, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by pianoperson View Post
... I've not heard of point of sale preventing availability. ...
It happened to me with my first DONEx back in 2006.

Carriers can indeed vary availability based on several factors that can include country, even actual sales agent.

Expert Flyer - Flight availability - Point of Sale

Did you use E/F with POS as Japan?
Old Sep 6, 18, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

hi thanks for that and I've learned something after all my years of using EFlyer ... I've never had this issue before and I am at a loss to understand why CX would not want that portion of the revenue of the RTW ticket ... all the more so given that it is on their ticket stock .
Indeed in the past I've had CX insist that transpacific flights are booked as CX and not on AA codeshares ...
It seems contrary to the spirit of having an airline alliance based ticket having A class availablity vary according to point of sale
At least I was able to get the flight I wanted I suppose and I will know now to input correct POS on Expertflyer so thank you for the heads up !
I will be interested to see if anyone from Cathay replies to my email asking why they don't want the revenue and would rather it went to AA ..
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much is the ticket ex-tax and what percentage of the distance is that flight. How does that compare to a fare from JFK-HKG in F (rather than A) - that might give an idea on where CX has its preference. Let AA use one of its A class availabilities for a low value ticket mayhaps
Old Sep 6, 18, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate what you are saying but this has nothing to do with it being a Round the World ticket as I'm looking at what is available just for the one way JFK to HKG so it is not about the percentage that CX might get compared to selling it at their A or F class one way fare .
For several POS the availability is F2 A1 ... but for Singapore it is F0 A1 ..... why would that be that they would only want to sell a seat at a lower fare ....? And only at that when they could sell 2 .... there must be some rationale behind it all ..?!
It seems all very strange to me ..... the ticket agent I dealt with in the US said they have constant complaints about it and that is a fairly recent issue ...
Anyway I know now to put in POS when I'm checking availabilities !
Old Sep 7, 18, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Its exactly to do with that.
An ex-Japan ticket is either going to be a RTW ticket, or some other connecting ticket. Either way the airline will likely get a smaller amount of revenue than they would from a US or Hong Kong plated ticket that is highly likely to be a straight return.
Old Sep 7, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pianoperson View Post
hi thanks for that and I've learned something after all my years of using EFlyer ... I've never had this issue before and I am at a loss to understand why CX would not want that portion of the revenue of the RTW ticket ... all the more so given that it is on their ticket stock .
Indeed in the past I've had CX insist that transpacific flights are booked as CX and not on AA codeshares ...
It seems contrary to the spirit of having an airline alliance based ticket having A class availablity vary according to point of sale
At least I was able to get the flight I wanted I suppose and I will know now to input correct POS on Expertflyer so thank you for the heads up !
I will be interested to see if anyone from Cathay replies to my email asking why they don't want the revenue and would rather it went to AA ..
i have had a situation where no D class from HKG POS but have D class from USA POS. so I called US number to get the space!

Search this Thread