Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Lounge access ~denied at BA SFO on JL F ticket

Old Aug 26, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Juan, PR; Zug/Zurich, CH; Paris, FR; Berlin, DE; Kharkiv, UA; Seattle, WA; SFBA
Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK Elite/*G, IC AMB/Spire, HH D, CET TR DIA, Sixt Plt, NTL EE, Hz PC

Before an 8/24 afternoon JL 1 departure SFO-HND, I had some time to kill in International A and was checking out the lounges. I had a JL F ticket (AS award), so I assumed I had access to all oneworld lounges based on that ticket, without regard to frequent flyer status. JL, CX, Air France (via PP) all let me in without problems. At BA Terraces (near my gate), the lounge dragon (is that an offensive term? is there a better term?) rejected me until I pressed the issue. Is that oneworld policy, BA policy, SFO policy, or her policy? The lounge was exceptionally full and I would have happily skipped it if she'd mentioned that as a problem, but she didn't say that.

My understanding based on https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access is:

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available."
The conversation went:

R: "Hi, I'd like to visit the lounge (ticket/id)"
D: "Do you have Oneworld status?"
R: "This is a first class ticket, I thought I had access to all oneworld lounges..."
D: "Only if you have status. I don't know where people get the idea that they have access without oneworld status..."
R: "I was browsing the website (shows phone)"
D: "See, it says "oneworld frequent flyer." Did Japan Airlines lounge send you?"
R: "No, I'm just visiting the lounges to see what they're like. Also the reference to frequent flyer status is 'regardless of...'"
D: "Unless you have oneworld status..."
R: "I do, but it's base level." [cries internally in human]
[...]
[...]
[a group of other patrons appear]
R: [stands]
D: "Did CX let you in?"
R: "Yes ma'am."
D: [scans ticket] "Have a nice visit."
R: "Thank you."
R: [Enters lounge, realizes it was full, wish she would have just said "it's really full, you might prefer visiting another lounge." Also I stuck to the business class area and left after 5-10 minutes to go to my gate, which was ironically a more pleasant place to wait than any of the oneworld SFO lounges, as the CX lounge had mostly shut down after their last flight, the JL lounge was sad, AF was packed, and BA was absurdly packed. Being hungry before a JL F flight is a perfectly acceptable course of human affairs.]

(Apologies if this is a frequent thread or posted elsewhere -- I don't (yet) fly oneworld much, and don't have status. Probably switching to oneworld in 2019)

I really don't care about this but it would be nice to know what the correct procedure is and train staff appropriately. I certainly don't want to be a DYKWIA but I'm fine with being a "well, actually", I suppose.
Old Aug 26, 18, 4:14 pm

Without status, access to BA SFO lounge is allowed to those flying BA or Iberia in business or first class. So the agent at the lounge was right not to want to let tou in. Regardless of the airline or class of service flown you would have access to this particular lounge if you had at least Sapphire status.
Old Aug 26, 18, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jktraveler View Post
Without status, access to BA SFO lounge is allowed to those flying BA or Iberia in business or first class. So the agent at the lounge was right not to want to let you in. Regardless of the airline or class of service flown you would have access to this particular lounge if you had at least Sapphire status.
That is not what the OW web site states
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/sfo/-1
For BA
Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
On days of A380 operation, it is anticipated that there may be very high demand for the British Airways lounge. In the event that we are unable to accommodate all customers, alternatives will be offered.
Access: Business Class / First Class / Sapphire Tier / Emerald Tier
Location: International Terminal / Concourse A / After Security
No "and" in the access statement. Flying first class and not having status is not that unusual.
(my underline, bold & color)
rdlmitedu likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
The BA US lounges are generally small, and they often use the capacity card, albeit in this case seems the agent simply didn't know the rules.
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

BA lounges in the US usually decline access unless travelling on a BA flight for obvious capacity reasons. They will do it to their own cardholders too, it's nothing personal.

The reference about requiring oneworld status was not correct; and indeed it is not usually sufficient in the US because of the capacity constraints. But such is life.

Being refused access to a Galleries Club is probably not something to be too worried about. I would happily swap it for the peace of an empty CX lounge.

Search this Thread