FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Finnair vs Turkish Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1921066-finnair-vs-turkish-business-class.html)

matt550 Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Finnair vs Turkish Business Class

I’m looking to book a business class flight from London to Singapore, Finnair and Turkish are coming up a fairly similar price. I was just interested to hear peoples thoughts on their experience flying business with either airline.

Thanks!

pandaperth Jul 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I believe TK does not serve booze
which might or might not be important to you

I have never flown TK so cannot comment
I've found AY business to be underwhelming

Yoshi212 Jul 21, 2018 9:21 pm

AY’s advantage is their A350 every seat has aisle access. HEL is also a very easy transit airport. I enjoyed my SFO-HEL on their A330. Downside is 2.5 hours on anA320. Most EU business isn’t a great experience but it is comfortable still.

TK will or can depending on which flights you select be on all B777 which adds to the experience. TK’s lounge in IST is well known for a great transit experience. TK falls behind in that their B777s are 2x3x2 and they aren’t good in irrops.

trooper Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

TK most certainly does serve booze..... And you might find their seats less "confining"...but also less private...

pandaperth Jul 22, 2018 1:28 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 29999692)
TK most certainly does serve booze..... And you might find their seats less "confining"...but also less private...

I stand corrected
Thank you :)

matt550 Jul 22, 2018 4:03 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 29999692)

Got slightly worried then! Thanks for confirming

nanyang Jul 22, 2018 8:13 am

Have done the SIN route on both a few times.

AY:
- As noted above, 1+2+1 seating layout in J, so more privacy
- Much more relaxed experience with the connection at HEL (I'm sure the new Istanbul airport will be an improvement vs. the current chaos)
- European J class has blocked middle seat only, but I find the experience generally acceptable for a 3h flight (food and service fine based on my experience)
- Lounge is ok but food options are very limited - lounge def not crowded around 11pm (HEL-SIN departure); if you have status in oneworld, then you get access to the nicer part of the lounge
- IFE content is very weak
- meal ex-HEL on the HEL-SIN sector not that substantial (I usually bring protein bars with me for AY flights) // other meals have been fine from what I recall
- Transfer security at HEL coming back from SIN will be much less hassle than IST
- Gates will be next to each other (vs. a fair bit of walking at IST)

TK:
- I assume proper 2+2 seating on the European sector
- Food traditionally good, but I recall they changed their catering company (haven't flown TK for 12 mo or so...)
- I find connecting at IST (current airport) a bit stressful; connecting security is chaotic, and be prepared to walk a fair bit (also the IST-SIN flight had a bus transfer last time I took the flight)
- Many people seem to talk about the IST lounge; technically it's nice, but can be very crowded and not a relaxed experience at all
- Long-haul J seat is fairly comfortable, but no privacy (and no aisle access from window seat)
- If you miss your connection, dealing with TK likely to be more hassle vs. AY (having said that, haven't had to deal with TK customer service at IST for years)

--> Both options are fine. Would not hesitate to book this trip with either airline.

ilcannone Jul 22, 2018 9:04 am

While I can't comment on anything business class related, I flew SIN-IST-VKO just last spring and all was fine really. Not a clue what aircraft was used mind you, but another vouch for booze on board! Indeed, as previously mentioned, bus transfers can happen at IST and there is one hell of a walk often involved, not to mention there are, at least the few times I've been there, Mecca-bound pilgrims everywhere (particularly Algerians for some reason?) but after missing an IST-TLV due to a RUH-IST being delayed by weather both in RUH and around IST back in 2014, actually, it was pretty easy to get on the next flight. Quick and simple transfer of flights from the transfer desk.

lhrpete Jul 22, 2018 10:35 am

There is certainly booze on TK but if you choose them please remember that they are an airline from a Muslim country. They have as good a range of offerings as anyone else but what they do not do is push booze laden trolleys up and down the aisles. If you want a drink or a top up you need to say so. It will be served promptly and with a smile but if you don't ask you won't get. The only exception for whatever reason is with the post meal coffee service when there are liquers on the trolley and I find the crew always encourage Westeners to have one!

onobond Jul 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Flying LHR<->HEL rather regularly. I try to use their daily return with A350, so no need for 3h on A320 if you prefer lie-flat seat with aisle access

BOStonTravels Jul 25, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 29998863)
I believe TK does not serve booze
which might or might not be important to you

I have never flown TK so cannot comment
I've found AY business to be underwhelming

Totally incorrect about TK and alcohol. TK has extensive selection both on the ground and in the air as well as lovely nonalcoholic beverages. Food and beverage are a strong suit of TK. Shouldnt you check first before posting when you acknowledge knowing nothing about TK?

BOStonTravels Jul 25, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by nanyang (Post 30000556)
Have done the SIN route on both a few times.

AY:
- As noted above, 1+2+1 seating layout in J, so more privacy
- Much more relaxed experience with the connection at HEL (I'm sure the new Istanbul airport will be an improvement vs. the current chaos)
- European J class has blocked middle seat only, but I find the experience generally acceptable for a 3h flight (food and service fine based on my experience)
- Lounge is ok but food options are very limited - lounge def not crowded around 11pm (HEL-SIN departure); if you have status in oneworld, then you get access to the nicer part of the lounge
- IFE content is very weak
- meal ex-HEL on the HEL-SIN sector not that substantial (I usually bring protein bars with me for AY flights) // other meals have been fine from what I recall
- Transfer security at HEL coming back from SIN will be much less hassle than IST
- Gates will be next to each other (vs. a fair bit of walking at IST)

TK:
- I assume proper 2+2 seating on the European sector
- Food traditionally good, but I recall they changed their catering company (haven't flown TK for 12 mo or so...)
- I find connecting at IST (current airport) a bit stressful; connecting security is chaotic, and be prepared to walk a fair bit (also the IST-SIN flight had a bus transfer last time I took the flight)
- Many people seem to talk about the IST lounge; technically it's nice, but can be very crowded and not a relaxed experience at all
- Long-haul J seat is fairly comfortable, but no privacy (and no aisle access from window seat)
- If you miss your connection, dealing with TK likely to be more hassle vs. AY (having said that, haven't had to deal with TK customer service at IST for years)

--> Both options are fine. Would not hesitate to book this trip with either airline.

Totally agree with your overview!

pandaperth Jul 25, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 29999892)
I stand corrected
Thank you :)

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels (Post 30011895)
Totally incorrect about TK and alcohol. TK has extensive selection both on the ground and in the air as well as lovely nonalcoholic beverages. Food and beverage are a strong suit of TK. Shouldnt you check first before posting when you acknowledge knowing nothing about TK?

:rolleyes: