FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Strategy for searching xONEx ex- origins? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1919981-strategy-searching-xonex-ex-origins.html)

c3l3x Jul 15, 2018 1:51 am

Strategy for searching xONEx ex- origins?

Looking to do a DONE5 in the near future. CAI, MPM, and others are not available. I'm willing to search EF high and low, but is there a strategy that works to cull down the hundreds of possible origins? Other than looking for FX oddities and avoiding major origins in North America or EU, if you could have an origin anywhere, would you look for partner airlines' hubs or avoid hubs? Is there a better way?

Gardyloo Jul 15, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by c3l3x (Post 29975029)
Looking to do a DONE5 in the near future. CAI, MPM, and others are not available. I'm willing to search EF high and low, but is there a strategy that works to cull down the hundreds of possible origins? Other than looking for FX oddities and avoiding major origins in North America or EU, if you could have an origin anywhere, would you look for partner airlines' hubs or avoid hubs? Is there a better way?

Just follow this board. Generally you'll find threads that list the "usual suspects," and if something comes up where there's an outlier fare, people here are pretty sharp and will find out about it pronto.

Places to check now and then -

Asia - Japan, Sri Lanka
Americas - Canada
Europe - Norway, Sweden
Middle East/North Africa - Israel, Jordan, Algeria, Kuwait

Here's a list (in USD) I just pulled together for DONE5s

ALG 7923
CMB 7960
NRT 7963
OSL 8168
KWI 8276
ARN 8395
AMM 8463
TLV 8500
YVR 9330

Remember that positioning costs before and after need to be evaluated, and choice of routes, issuing airline, and choice of carriers can make a significant difference in terms of taxes and fees on top of these base fares.

pbd456 Jul 15, 2018 8:14 am

Originally Posted by c3l3x (Post 29975029)

I believe the price is the same across EU and the same in all ports in the country. Given the limited route network of oneworld, i dont think there are hundreds of places needing to search.

Dr. HFH Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 29975657)
Just follow this board.

Excellent advice. I've learned tons here from the One World Explorer regulars like Gardyloo and others. It will take a while to learn the idiosyncrasies of this fare and the way that different carriers implement it; but it will prove to be well worth your time.

wandering_fred Jul 15, 2018 7:52 pm

And remember there are times when extra side trips can improve the cost benefit ratio substantially - especially if you can convert a DONE4 to a DONE3 inexpensively. eg DPS is in Asia and DPS-PER fares are very cheap (~3 hr flight)

Happy wandering
Fred

c3l3x Jul 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 29975657)
Just follow this board. Generally you'll find threads that list the "usual suspects," and if something comes up where there's an outlier fare, people here are pretty sharp and will find out about it pronto.

Places to check now and then -

Asia - Japan, Sri Lanka
Americas - Canada
Europe - Norway, Sweden
Middle East/North Africa - Israel, Jordan, Algeria, Kuwait

Here's a list (in USD) I just pulled together for DONE5s

ALG 7923
CMB 7960
NRT 7963
OSL 8168
KWI 8276
ARN 8395
AMM 8463
TLV 8500
YVR 9330

Remember that positioning costs before and after need to be evaluated, and choice of routes, issuing airline, and choice of carriers can make a significant difference in terms of taxes and fees on top of these base fares.

Thanks. I thought there might be a systematic method for searching, but we are all looking and sharing potential deals, that's great. Really appreciate the community's efforts. I'll certainly share anything I find that's not already known