Reload this Page >

RJ, BA, MH flights for first time this month as OWE

Old May 2, 18, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, RA, Oman Air Gold, HH Diamond

also have a flight on CX

I am just making the jump from Emirates to oneworld this month and booked the above airlines

first flight today RJ from Dubai to Amman to Egpyt and I am interested to learn how the alliance works best

as oneworld Emerald at DXB flying Y, lounge access is LIH Business Lounge, they refused to let me in LIH 1st Class Lounge

no champagne but fairly good spread in general, quite similar to the LIH 1st Class Lounge, trying some E&E Sparkling Shiraz from Barossa Valley now

the EK lounge at DXB has better booze but this LIH lounge is less hectic, has bathrooms where there are not 10 people waiting to use the toilets, their smoking area is totally segregated and there is plenty of seating, I think the food might be coming from the same kitchen ;-)

Last edited by #1son; May 2, 18 at 2:02 am
Old May 4, 18, 10:38 pm

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by #1son View Post
also have a flight on CX

as oneworld Emerald at DXB flying Y, lounge access is LIH Business Lounge, they refused to let me in LIH 1st Class Lounge
There are lounges run by oneworld airlines and lounges that are run by third parties. A lounge that is run/branded by one of the oneworld airlines has to let you in and grant you access to the F side if you are an Emerald.

Access to any other lounges relies solely on the contract between that airline and the lounge. There are plenty of airports where "your" oneworld airline may not even provide you access at all (even if other airlines do it). RJ does not pay for the F side, so there is no basis for access to the F side.
Old May 5, 18, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, RA, Oman Air Gold, HH Diamond
both my Y flights on RJ were fine

RJ sent me 3 separate emails requesting I bid on a flight upgrade but bids started at USD 285 and would have proved to be a relatively poor value with the short flights (DXB - AMM, AMM - CAI) and rather sad offering at the RJ lounge in the (much improved) Amman Airport. Lounge was OK for a coffee + slow internet connection on a brief layover. Business Class had one occupant Amman to Cairo.

The lounge BA uses at Cairo Airport was not worth the trouble to find, unless you were desperate for a free internet connection, ugly surroundings, clearing another security checkpoint and some third-rate food/ / beverage offering.

CAI to LHR flight was uneventful and good service overall in Business Class.

The Galeries Lounge at LHR was a disappointment, crowded and the main dishes were not replenished quick enough to keep up with demand. Good selection of booze, a decent coffee and snacks but certainly nothing special.

The J flight to Chicago was also uneventful and reasonably good service but I far prefer QR to BA.

Last edited by #1son; May 5, 18 at 4:20 am
Old May 10, 18, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by #1son View Post
The Galeries Lounge at LHR was a disappointment, crowded and the main dishes were not replenished quick enough to keep up with demand. Good selection of booze, a decent coffee and snacks but certainly nothing special.
iirc OneWorld Emeralds get access to the Galleries First lounge at Heathrow. The "outside" seating (a balcony overlooking the shops below) tends to be less hectic/crowded, ime.

Search this Thread