Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Lounge access with economy + business class flights?

Old Mar 6, 18, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold

I am flying SIN-KUL-BKK on Malaysian and have bid on an upgrade for the KUL-BKK segment. If that upgrade comes through, will I have lounge access for both legs. In other words if I show my Business Class boarding pass for KUL-BKK, will I be granted access to Oneworld lounges in SIN?

Assuming yes, which lounge do people recommend in SIN?
Old Mar 6, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I am flying SIN-KUL-BKK on Malaysian and have bid on an upgrade for the KUL-BKK segment. If that upgrade comes through, will I have lounge access for both legs. In other words if I show my Business Class boarding pass for KUL-BKK, will I be granted access to Oneworld lounges in SIN?

Assuming yes, which lounge do people recommend in SIN?
No because both are short-haul segments. If it were something like SIN-KUL-LHR, then yes, unless the upgrade bid specifically disallows it. Specifically, for oneworld lounge access purpose, the cutoff between short- and long-haul is 5 hours.
The Lev likes this.
Old May 2, 18, 12:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, BA Gold, DL Silver
Hi, i will soon be flying DFW-SFO as part of my PRG-SFO business class trip. Obviously I'm not eligible for the lounge access in Dallas. Do they let me in using my OW emerald status ? Thanks

Last edited by sluneckov; May 2, 18 at 2:09 am
Old May 2, 18, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
If you are flying on AA and have a non-AA OW Emerald card then you may use any business (or first, where available) OW lounge.
Old May 2, 18, 2:11 am

Frankly i’m little sceptical about this. This is what OW says:

Access to more than 650 airport lounges (with one guest) when travelling internationally*, including premium First Class, Business Class and frequent flyer lounges, regardless of the class of service flown that day

*North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations.

Has anyone got personal experience ?
Old May 2, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sluneckov View Post
Frankly i’m little sceptical about this. This is what OW says:

Access to more than 650 airport lounges (with one guest) when travelling internationally*, including premium First Class, Business Class and frequent flyer lounges, regardless of the class of service flown that day

*North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations.

Has anyone got personal experience ?
Yes, I am BA Gold / Oneworld Emerald and routinely visit Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounges when flying solely on US or North American itineraries.

I could not find the wording you posted above on oneworld.com. Below is the actual wording from their website:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  3. Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  4. Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded.
Old May 2, 18, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
Yes, I am BA Gold / Oneworld Emerald and routinely visit Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounges when flying solely on US or North American itineraries.

I could not find the wording you posted above on oneworld.com. Below is the actual wording from their website:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  3. Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  4. Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded.
thanks! above posted sentence is actually from OW app as I could not find it on their website
Old May 2, 18, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by sluneckov View Post
thanks! above posted sentence is actually from OW app as I could not find it on their website
AA's website is very clear on this as well. Non-AA sapphires and emeralds are allowed even if travelling domestic. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp and https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp. Of course, if you are flying from Europe in business class and transit in DFW to SFO on the day you arrive, you are also eligible based on your itinerary. I'm not well versed of the new AA rule, but if you are just transiting you should be able to use the Flagship First Dining as well, if you arrive at DFW after it is open (still under construction now).
Old May 2, 18, 6:06 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
I'm not well versed of the new AA rule, but if you are just transiting you should be able to use the Flagship First Dining as well, if you arrive at DFW after it is open (still under construction now).
No, definitely no Flagship First Dining flying business class. Flagship First Dining is for those flying AA International First or JFK-SFO/LAX Flagship First (3 Class metal). And while the rules say AA First Class, I have been given access when flying CX First at JFK.

I would guess the DFW Flagship lounge probably won't be done until late 2019 as AA started construction at the beginning of last month and said construction would take 18 months.
Old May 2, 18, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
No, definitely no Flagship First Dining flying business class. Flagship First Dining is for those flying AA International First or JFK-SFO/LAX Flagship First (3 Class metal). And while the rules say AA First Class, I have been given access when flying CX First at JFK.

I would guess the DFW Flagship lounge probably won't be done until late 2019 as AA started construction at the beginning of last month and said construction would take 18 months.
Ah right, for some reason I was thinking about flying first class to DFW even though it should be business. Thanks!

Search this Thread