Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

IB vs. AA transatlantic business class, which one to choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Lowest level possible

I have two options for traveling to Europe later this fall:

1. RDU-ORD-MAD-ARN (first flight on AA (domestic first), the other two flights on Iberia (business class on A333 and eurobusiness on A320).
Advantages:
- Flagship lounge at ORD
- longer overnight flight, more time to sleep
Disadvantage:
- Trip is about 8 hours longer and has additional connection

2. RDU-LHR-ARN (AA 772 business + BA eurobusiness on A320)
Advantage:
- Shorter trip time with fewer connections
Disadvantage:
- No availability on preferred date, would have to leave two days earlier

While the shorter travel time is an obvious advantage, I think it comes down to the transatlantic service, IB A333 business class vs. AA B772 business class (seat guru links).
Business Plus description - IB web
Flagship Business description - AA web

At first glance, the Iberia seat seems nicer and I have no expectations of the onboard AA service being very good (based on previous AA transatlantic flights), but I'm not sure it makes up for the longer travel time and the added connection. I have never flown IB, so it would be an opportunity to try a new airline.
Any opinions on what you would choose? Is the IB travel experience sufficiently better than the AA experience to make up for the travel time disadvantage?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I fly back and forth between RDU-Scandinavia every other month or so...I'd take the LHR connection any day.

Both will offer all aisle access lie-flat seats in business in a 1-2-1 config. Service will generally be equal, both AA & IB have their good crews and their bad crews. The food and wine will be better on IB, but not so much so that I'd go out of my way for it.

Both of the long legs are about the same distance, ORD-MAD might end up a few mins longer but not enough to make a noticeable difference in the amount of sleep you can get. If anything it's at a disadvantage due to the ~4:30pm local departure, compared to 6:30pm in the winter for RDU-LHR. I find the early afternoon flights to Europe are downright awful for trying to get to sleep.

And the Flagship Lounge is certainly nice, but not worth having to leave at 1pm compared to 6:30pm and take an extra connection for. The drink chits will get you anything behind the bar in the RDU club.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Lowest level possible
Thanks for the advice. I was able to grab the last remaining award seat for RDU-LHR. (Those award seats sure aren't easy to find...)

Just out of interest, have you tried the DL/AF connection via CDG to Scandinavia? If so. how does it compare (service, on-time performance, seats, etc.) to the AA/BA routing through LHR?

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Mar 5, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.