Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Meaning of "No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted"

Meaning of "No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted"

Old Feb 19, 18, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Question Meaning of "No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted"

For about a year now, the Oneworld Explorer fare rules have had the highlighted sentence in rule 4(f)
4(f) Only one international departure and one international arrival from/to the country of origin permitted.
EXCEPTION: Two permitted for origin USA when one arrival-departure is a transfer without stopover.
NOTE: travel between USA and Canada is not counted as international.
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted.
My questions on this sentence are:
x
  1. Does it apply only to the continent of origin? (because it is in clause 4(f)) If so, then IMHO it makes no sense as the earlier words preclude the possibility of there being more than two international transfers
    x
  2. What, precisely, is an ‘international transfer’? Is it a transit in the country, between two other countries? Or is it a stopover (or stopovers) in the country between two other countries? Or is it both types? Or something else?
    x
  3. Do people agree that the sentence can only apply to North America?
    x
    • Other continents, because they are allowed a max of 4 flights in the continent, can only have a maximum of 4 international transfers in a country, for example:
      …LHR-NRT-DEL-NRT-SIN-NRT-SYD-NRT-JKF…
      (southern hemisphere continents can have a maximum of 3 international transfers, because they have no exceptions to the "visit a continent only once" rule)
      x
    • Whereas for North America, because 6 flights are allowed in the continent, 5 international transfers are possible, for example:
      …HKG-JFK-BDA-JFK-AUA-JFK-POP-JFK-SCL-JFK-LHR…
      x
    • But if the rule only applies to the continent of origin, then the above itinerary would not be allowed because it breaches other rules (and wouldn't make sense to do, because only 2 stopovers are allowed in the continent of origin)

What do people think about all this?

(FYI -I started thinking about this because I am putting together some ideas for a New York-based couple I met recently – on a cruise boat in The Galapagos. Just had to tell y'all that )
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
What, precisely, is an ‘international transfer’? Is it a transit in the country, between two other countries? Or is it a stopover (or stopovers) in the country between two other countries? Or is it both types? Or something else?
"International transfer"
A change from the international service of one carrier to another international service of the same carrier (online transfer) or to the international service of another carrier (interline transfer).
[Source: IATA Resolution 012, "Passenger Conference Tariff Definitions".]

i.e., it is an international-international connection [or an international-stopover-international].

What I believe it means (or is intended to mean) is that you cannot have more than four flights across the US-Canadian border, despite these flights not otherwise being counted as "international flights".
pandaperth likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
So @Calchas do you know if the rule is only for the continent of origin?

If it is not, then do you think my proposed itinerary is valid:
...HKG-JFK-BDA-JFK-AUA-JFK-POP-JFK-SCL-JFK-LHR...
Old Feb 20, 18, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Honestly I couldn’t tell you for certain. I think it may invalidate your itinerary.

If they meant to restrict the number of international transfers in each country, why not use the words “No more than four transfers permitted in any country”?

So “the one country” must mean either the US, Canada, or the origin country.

If they meant specifically “the US” then why not say “no more than four transfers permitted in the USA”?

Makes no sense for “the one country” to be the origin country for the reasons you say. So it must be intended to limit the number of transfers within the US and Canada.

Why is it in 4(f)? The rules are badly written.
pandaperth and jerry a. laska like this.

Search this Thread