Reload this Page >

Oneworld Explorer Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Explorer Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks, that's clear. Now, why can't they say the same thing on the customer-facing pages instead of only on the agent-facing ones?

Although, as if they wish to reinforce my point about the rules being unclear, they also say that only BA prime flights can be upgraded, when the customer-facing page I quoted above says flights on BA, IB, and AA can be upgraded.

We only offer upgrades with Avios for flights that are operated by BA and booked under a BA prime flight code. We are unable to offer upgrades where another carrier's flight code is issued on the ticket.

Last edited by anabolism; Sep 24, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks, that's clear. Now, why can't they say the same thing on the customer-facing pages instead of only on the agent-facing ones?

Although, as if they wish to reinforce my point about the rules being unclear, they also say that only BA prime flights can be upgraded, when the customer-facing page I quoted above says flights on BA, IB, and AA can be upgraded.
In my opinion, that page which is directed to travel agents is just explaining that travel agents can only use this process for BA prime (no codeshare, no other airline) flights. That BAEC will allow a customer who is a BAEC member to upgrade AA and IB flights directly with BAEC under very restricted conditions is not relevant in that context.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I have never upgraded with avios. if it is done via TA, what booking class is needed for upgrade?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
In my opinion, that page which is directed to travel agents is just explaining that travel agents can only use this process for BA prime (no codeshare, no other airline) flights. That BAEC will allow a customer who is a BAEC member to upgrade AA and IB flights directly with BAEC under very restricted conditions is not relevant in that context.
That's fine if they want to only talk about agency bookings there. My point is that they should inform customers what the rules are on the customer-facing page. If they expect agencies to inform customers, then the agency page should also explain the rules. For example, my recollection from the original announcement some years back regarding upgrading AA/IB/BA flights using either Avios or AAdvantage miles is that an agency or airline booking that includes a flight operated by any of the three and marketed by any of the three is eligible to be upgraded either with Avios or AA miles, but I expect only directly with BA or AA. This was some years back, so I could easily be misremembering, and I certainly can't find anything on BA's site that says what the rules are.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
I have never upgraded with avios. if it is done via TA, what booking class is needed for upgrade?
Here's the table from the link jerry a. laska posted above:

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:55 pm

Here's the table from the link jerry a. laska posted above:

yes. i saw the table. but my question is what booking class does it upgrade to...... U or I from PE to J?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:29 pm

yes. i saw the table. but my question is what booking class does it upgrade to...... U or I from PE to J?
Ah, sorry, I interpreted "needed for the upgrade" as what you needed to be booked into, but you meant what you need to have available. I think it's U for PE to J, and Z for J to F, same as straight awards, but I don't know for certain.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:55 pm

Ah, sorry, I interpreted "needed for the upgrade" as what you needed to be booked into, but you meant what you need to have available. I think it's U for PE to J, and Z for J to F, same as straight awards, but I don't know for certain.
no. i didnt put it out clearly.

for gold upgrade for 2 via TA, PE to J is booked into I class as opposed to U class because TA does not see U space.

therefore, it is interesting to do upgrade via Avios if it can be done via TA as they booked into E/I/A class as opposed to award chart which is a big deal for many people.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:48 am

for gold upgrade for 2 via TA, PE to J is booked into I class as opposed to U class because TA does not see U space
Interesting. So you think perhaps J to F would book into A?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:31 pm

On TA-issued ticket using upgrade voucher, buy I FARE (I can be ZERO) book into A directly.
for avios, this is what I want to find out.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
On TA-issued ticket using upgrade voucher, buy I FARE (I can be ZERO) book into A directly.
for avios, this is what I want to find out.
For avios upgrades, you still need regular redemption availability in the class to which you are upgrading. This is different than using the GUF vouchers which allow you to upgrade to certain positive cash space fare buckets. So there is no corresponding advantage for using a TA for avios upgrades like there is with GUF upgrades.

Redemption buckets:
All flight redemptions are flexible, subject to availability, are valid for 12 months from the date of ticketing, and are pulled from specific inventory:
  • X class*: Economy
  • P class: Premium economy
  • U class†: Business
  • Z class: First

* When X class seats have been depleted, Gold members are given access to V class inventory
† UK Domestic redemptions are pulled from X and U class inventory. Note, if your domestic flight is in U class, it will still be economy class and there are no business class perks attached, such as lounge access or an additional baggage allowance (unless your ticket includes other flights in business or first)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235580-post2.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.