Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Explorer Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Brianek
Thanks Pandaperth. Actually, I was trying to upgrade using Avios not money. I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on upgrades. That's what Air Miles are for . So, on that point BA are incorrect then ? If so, I suspect the real problem is the 'lock' they have put on making further changes to the ticket (as opposed to what the agent told me).
Probably the BA agent was incorrect. I do not know enough about the BAEC programme to be certain. I expect to upgrade it would have to be a BA-issued ticket, and the segment has to have a BA flight number and be operated by a BA aircraft.

Thanks also for the clarification on the stopover rule. Just one point on this. In relation to that rule, I assume that Europe/Middle East is a regarded as single continent (i.e. not Europe and Middle East separately). On that assumption, I think the following should be valid as long as DOH is used as a transit point for SGN-DOH-WAW and LHR is used as a transit point for WAW-LHR-MCT (i.e. no stopovers in DOH and LHR, which I believe means less than 24 hours)

CAI-LHR-IAD-DFW-SYD-WLG-AKL-KUL-CMB-MLE-HKG-SGN-DOH-WAW-LHR-MCT-DOH

Would you agree ?
Yes - Europe/Middle East is one continent (this is defined in the fare rules)
Re-writing your itinerary slightly - CAI-LHR-IAD-DFW-SYD-WLG-AKL-KUL-CMB-MLE-HKG-SGN-xDOH-oWAW-xLHR-oMCT-DOH
(x = transit, meaning no longer than 24hrs; o=stopover, meaning longer than 24hrs)
So you are correct, you will have just the two stopovers on your return. BUT what about the start of your journey - was it CAI-xLHR-IAD or CAI-oLHR-IAD? If the latter, then you can have only one stopover on your return

Actually Brianek is my dog's name. Well Brian actually, but we sometimes call him Brianek. My real name is Evan .
You can masquerade as your dog if you want to. We are non-judgmental here on flyertalk
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonours Gold (also Marriot and SPG Gold)
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Probably the BA agent was incorrect. I do not know enough about the BAEC programme to be certain. I expect to upgrade it would have to be a BA-issued ticket, and the segment has to have a BA flight number and be operated by a BA aircraft.

Yes - Europe/Middle East is one continent (this is defined in the fare rules)
Re-writing your itinerary slightly - CAI-LHR-IAD-DFW-SYD-WLG-AKL-KUL-CMB-MLE-HKG-SGN-xDOH-oWAW-xLHR-oMCT-DOH
(x = transit, meaning no longer than 24hrs; o=stopover, meaning longer than 24hrs)
So you are correct, you will have just the two stopovers on your return. BUT what about the start of your journey - was it CAI-xLHR-IAD or CAI-oLHR-IAD? If the latter, then you can have only one stopover on your return

You can masquerade as your dog if you want to. We are non-judgmental here on flyertalk
It was CAI-oLHR-IAD. So, the only way I can see out of that is to finish the ticket in Muscat. That will do the trick. Thank you !

I think if I get the ticket into a form where it complies with the rules, that will sort out the upgrades issue - we'll see...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Brianek
I was trying to upgrade using Avios not money. I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on upgrades. That's what Air Miles are for . So, on that point BA are incorrect then ? If so, I suspect the real problem is the 'lock' they have put on making further changes to the ticket (as opposed to what the agent told me).
AA and BA allow flights operated by any of AA, BA, IB and sold as any of AA, BA, IB to be upgraded using Avios or AA miles, regardless of who issued the ticket. BA does severely limit the booking codes that can be upgraded, but D is permitted. However, whenever I've tried to upgrade BA segments using AA miles or Avios on a DONEx, I was told that BA prohibits this via some unpublished rule. I haven't tried in a few years (mostly gave up flying BA except for short intra-Europe flights). You can of course upgrade AA flights.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I don't think who issued the ticket or whose code is on it matters, because as I mentioned above, both AA and BA have published info on upgrades using Avios/miles that say it's OK to have codeshares (provides the flight is operated by any of AA/BA/IB and sold as any of AA/BA/IB). I suspect the problem is BA's non-published ban on upgrading DONEx tickets.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
I don't think who issued the ticket or whose code is on it matters, because as I mentioned above, both AA and BA have published info on upgrades using Avios/miles that say it's OK to have codeshares (provides the flight is operated by any of AA/BA/IB and sold as any of AA/BA/IB). I suspect the problem is BA's non-published ban on upgrading DONEx tickets.
In my limited experience, I find that who issues the ticket does matter, as I have had no problem upgrading flights on a BA issued DONEn to first using Avios. Whenever I plan to upgrade DONEn BA segments to first I book the DONEn through BA. For example, most recently on a BA issued DONE3 I upgraded LHR-IAD to first and my upcoming PVG-LHR has also been upgraded to first, in both cases using Avios.

If there is a non-published ban, then your statement should probably be modified to read "the problem is BA's non-published ban on upgrading DONEx tickets issued by other airlines".
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Discussion in BA forum on Avios upgrade

Avios-miles class upgrade only for tickets booked through BA and not travel agents?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
In my limited experience, I find that who issues the ticket does matter, as I have had no problem upgrading flights on a BA issued DONEn to first using Avios. Whenever I plan to upgrade DONEn BA segments to first I book the DONEn through BA. For example, most recently on a BA issued DONE3 I upgraded LHR-IAD to first and my upcoming PVG-LHR has also been upgraded to first, in both cases using Avios.

If there is a non-published ban, then your statement should probably be modified to read "the problem is BA's non-published ban on upgrading DONEx tickets issued by other airlines".
I've never had BA issue a DONEx, so that might very well be why I have never been able to upgrade a BA segment to first. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I called BA asking to use gold upgrade for 2 on BA flights since the upgrade was going to expire. they denied because the ticket was not on BA stock.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pbd456
I called BA asking to use gold upgrade for 2 on BA flights since the upgrade was going to expire. they denied because the ticket was not on BA stock.
QR has the same policy. I tried to upgrade DOH-SYD J -> F last year into an empty F cabin. Answer from several different people/departments at QR was that the ticket had to be on 157 stock to upgrade.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
QR has the same policy. I tried to upgrade DOH-SYD J -> F last year into an empty F cabin. Answer from several different people/departments at QR was that the ticket had to be on 157 stock to upgrade.
To join in, BA limits the use of avios, Gold Upgrade vouchers (GUF), and other upgrade instruments to 125 (BA) ticket stock.
Important:
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235586-post7.html
A GUF can be applied to:
- BA issued tickets (can include other carriers but only BA flights would be upgraded)
- TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights

A GUF cannot be applied to:
- TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
- Tickets issued on non-BA stock

Additionally the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership.

You can't apply a GUF to a BA marketed and non-BA operated flight even if the ticket is issued on BA (125-xxx) stock. The flight must be both BA marketed and operated.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28823617-post3.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: punctuation and grammar
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:01 pm

BA does indeed have a policy that TA issued (on BA stock) booking cant be applied to booking with other carriers.

In practice, I dont think it is enforced. I contacted propeller and they were able to upgrade
BKK - HKG (stop) - xLHR - AMS - xLHR - HKG (stop) BKK from PE to J on the 4 BA operated legs. BKK HKG BKK is on CX E class and left untouched.

Also, I dont believe it was issued in the country of my parents BAEC membership as well.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
BA does indeed have a policy that TA issued (on BA stock) booking cant be applied to booking with other carriers.

In practice, I dont think it is enforced. I contacted propeller and they were able to upgrade
BKK - HKG (stop) - xLHR - AMS - xLHR - HKG (stop) BKK from PE to J on the 4 BA operated legs. BKK HKG BKK is on CX E class and left untouched.

Also, I dont believe it was issued in the country of my parents BAEC membership as well.
Propeller?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A travel agency that is familiar with the use of BA gold upgrades.
https://propellertravel.com/
See also:
Using Propeller Travel to upgrade an existing booking
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Propeller?
https://propellertravel.com/guf2/

If you use upgrade voucher on BA, it is upgraded to award booking class. (U for business). but booking via propeller needs only I class, more seats and better earning.
(it is slightly more expensive than buying from BA website, but it is worth it)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:27 am

I'm certainly no expert on using Avios to upgrade. I will note that just the last few posts in this thread are confusing, since they seem to equate upgrading using Avios with upgrading using other more specialized instruments. I am familiar with AA, and their rules on using SWUs (specialized upgrade instruments for top-tier and million-milers) are much more restrictive than are the rules for using AAdvantage miles (e.g., SWUs cannot be used on codeshares).

I did check the BA EC web site to see what it says. I cannot find any text regarding ticket stock or codeshares. It does say:
  • Upgrade on British Airways, Iberia and American Airlines flights.
The section on Travel Agent booking likewise doesn't mention anything about codeshares or ticket stock:

Bookings made through your travel agent can now be upgraded on ba.com or through your local Executive Club service centre. The flights you would like to upgrade must be booked and ticketed in eligible booking classes, however Bulk Tour (BT) and Inclusive Tour (IT) fare types are not eligible.

Please contact your travel agent to check if you have an eligible booking before visiting Manage My Booking to upgrade your flight.
The few times I have attempted to upgrade BA flights on RTWs, I was told (by AA when I tried to use AA miles, and by BA when I tried to use Avios) that it wasn't possible to upgrade on xONEx fares. I'm not saying the agents who told me this were right and FTers are wrong, just that the situation and any actual rules do not seem to be clear.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The few times I have attempted to upgrade BA flights on RTWs, I was told (by AA when I tried to use AA miles, and by BA when I tried to use Avios) that it wasn't possible to upgrade on xONEx fares. I'm not saying the agents who told me this were right and FTers are wrong, just that the situation and any actual rules do not seem to be clear.
From the BA Trade Support website:
Provided there is redemptions availability and they hold a valid ticket that has been made in the eligible classes on 125 paper, customers can spend their Avios* to upgrade themselves into the next cabin for either 1 flight within the booking or the entire journey:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-nl...es-using-avios

To upgrade using avios (UuA) the flights you are upgraded must be on BA ticket stock as a condition precedent. This applies to any ticket, rtw or otherwise. If that condition is met then there are a number of other conditions that may or may not apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.