FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   OneWorld RTW ticket flights must be operated by OW, not codeshares? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1884592-oneworld-rtw-ticket-flights-must-operated-ow-not-codeshares.html)

tacommuter Dec 26, 2017 2:03 am

OneWorld RTW ticket flights must be operated by OW, not codeshares?

I am working on a RTW ticket, and running into a problem getting from PPT to AKL. I am seeing on ExpertFlyer L-class availability on QF3816 (operated by Air Tahiti). But I can't get the OneWorld booking tool to pull that option up.

I could swear that the last time I did a OneWorld RTW ticket - two years ago - we had a SYD-BKK flight that was a QF flight number but operated by EK. Has there been a change to not allow use of non-alliance-operated flights, even when it is under a OW flight number?

Himeno Dec 26, 2017 3:03 am

Oneworld Explorer (xONEx) tickets require both operating aircraft and marketing code to be a oneworld member or affiliate. Codeshares are allowed, but both operating aircraft and code must be oneworld (eg, AA operated QF code is allowed, KE operated JL code is not). Some exceptions apply for QF coded JQ flights.

Global Explorer (xGOLBnn) tickets have more airlines allowed including the Jetstar brands, Fiji Airways, Westjet, Alaska, Aer Lingus, Meridian and Bangkok Air.
QF coded Air Tahiti Nui (TN) flights are allowed on the Global Explorer, but not the oneworld Explorer.

EK, either operated by or as a codeshare, are not allowed on a oneworld product and never have been. If EK was used on a prior trip, then it was either not a oneworld product (such as a QF RTW fare or award) or it was a service recovery airline can brake their own rules change.

The oneworld online tool booked xONEx tickets, TN flights are only allowed as QF coded flights on xGLOBnn tickets, so QF3816 will not show up on the xONEx booking tool.

christep Dec 26, 2017 3:06 am

I think your memory must be faulty - OneWorld Explorer tickets have always (for at least the 18 years I've been aware of them) required OW marketed and operated by OW or OW affiliate (eg Cathay Dragon, Jetstar).

oneworld Explorer is available on scheduled flights that are operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline or an affiliate of a oneworld member airline, i.e. a oneworld airline flight number must be on the ticket.
The Global Explorer fares have a few other possibilities:

Global Explorer is available on scheduled flights that are operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline or an affiliate of a oneworld member airline i.e. a oneworld airline flight number must be on the ticket. This includes American Airlines (AA), British Airways (BA), Cathay Pacific (CX, KA), Finnair (AY), Iberia (IB), Japan Airlines (JL), LATAM (JJ, LA, LP, XL, 4C, 4M), Malaysia Airlines (MH), Qantas (QF), Qatar Airways (QR), Royal Jordanian Airlines (RJ), S7 Airlines (S7), SriLankan Airlines (UL), plus flights operated by Aer Lingus (EI), Alaska Airlines (AS), Bangkok Airways (PG), Fiji Airways (FJ), Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K), Jetstar Japan (GK), Jetstar Pacific (BL), Meridiana (IG) and Westjet (WS). All other codeshare flights are not permitted with exception of Qantas (QF) code-share services operated by Air Tahiti Nui (TN).

pandaperth Dec 26, 2017 3:08 am

The restriction on not using non-Oneworld codeshares has been around for a very long time

So the QF codeshare on TN PPT-AKL is not allowed
I suspect that your previous BKK-SYD flight was actually QF metal

The wording in the fare rules is:

4(j) Travel on any AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M codeshare service operated by AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M is permitted.
Other codeshare services not permitted with the exception of QF Codeshare services operated by Jetstar (JQ).
Additionally, travel permitted on the following airlines which are affiliated with/or wetlease providers to oneworld.

here follows a list of airlines, -TN (Air Tahiti Nui) is not in the list
IIRC the cost of the PPT-AKL is reasonable; so you might consider purchasing that, and having the segment as a surface segment on your RTW ticket

Oneworld's other RTW product, the Global Explorer, does allow QF codeshare on TN metal; so that might be an option for you

Edited to add: I see Himeno and christep beat me to it

tacommuter Dec 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Many thanks for the detailed information, everyone. I have indeed just gone ahead and treated that as a surface sector and purchased PPT-AKL separately as a relatively-cheap NZ flight (which may be a bit annoying with no Star Alliance status, but it is just one flight and not too long).