FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Transitioning from MH to CX FF Schemes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1881686-transitioning-mh-cx-ff-schemes.html)

ftrichard Dec 8, 2017 12:17 am

Transitioning from MH to CX FF Schemes

I've spent some time looking at the various threads on similar topics but wanted some clarification and advice to some specific questions from experts here.

I am Gold/Sapphire with MH Enrich until March 2018. I have the plastic card to prove it. MH Enrich has been generous with renewing me as Gold in the past when I haven't quite qualified on tier points and I may be renewed for 2018.

However, I have moved from KL to Shenzhen and will be using CX primarily from now on. Many CX fares do not qualify for MH Enrich points or tier status so I have paid my $100 and joined CX Marco Polo Club. 2018 will therefore be a year of transition. I would like to use my MH status for benefits but accrue the points and tier status to CX. I will do so consistently throughout 2018 as long as I remain MH Enrich Gold. I value lounge access, elite check in, seat selection and priority boarding in that order.

1. Is it the best policy to add my MH Enrich # to the CX reservation and change to CX Marco Polo # at the check in desk?
2. Should I change from MH # to CX # at check in? In the lounge? At the gate?
3. If I change the # on the outward flight will the details on the return flight be changed too thereby putting at risk any seat selection I've made for the return segment?
4. Or should I just add my CX Marco Polo # to the reservation and use the MH Enrich plastic card to give me lounge, check in and boarding benefits at the airport and give up on the advanced seat allocation?

Thanks for any advice.

JAXBA Dec 8, 2017 12:14 pm

Adding MH then changing to CX could work, and most of the time it might, but there will be occasions where you do it and it doesn't work; it doesn't credit to CX, even if you did the same exact thing as last time.

Old numbers can get stuck, especially if things are changed after check-in (even online) - but even if changed before CKIN, your MH number might ghost in a PNR it was added to at one point... There isn't really a good time to change it, although it's certainly possible to do.. Just be prepared for it not to work randomly!

Originally Posted by ftrichard (Post 29148612)
3. If I change the # on the outward flight will the details on the return flight be changed too thereby putting at risk any seat selection I've made for the return segment?

Yes, that can happen. It's possible for FQTV numbers to be segment associated, but you might have to train the CX agents you speak to in how to do it. Adding your MH initially is straightforward of course, but when you want to update it to CX, you'll need to ask CX to remove MH, add CX to segment 1 only and MH to segment 2 only. They may push back on this/claim it's not possible - but it is. They have to 'segment associate' their FF entries in the same way they segment associate other entries.

4. Or should I just add my CX Marco Polo # to the reservation and use the MH Enrich plastic card to give me lounge, check in and boarding benefits at the airport and give up on the advanced seat allocation?
That could work too! You could always try the MH/CX switch a few times and see if it's worth the effort, or just go with CX, but presenting the MH card when you need it - if they then want to try adding your MH card to the PNR you may have to tell them you're trying to build status with CX and need that to stay in there.

ernestnywang Dec 8, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard (Post 29148612)
However, I have moved from KL to Shenzhen and will be using CX primarily from now on. Many CX fares do not qualify for MH Enrich points or tier status so I have paid my $100 and joined CX Marco Polo Club. 2018 will therefore be a year of transition.

FYI, ZH recently joined AM and all flights (if booked under eligible class!) within the Greater China region earn AM. It doesn't count for MPO but it might make the move more meaningful to you.

ftrichard Dec 10, 2017 3:52 am

Thank you both for the insight. I don’t plan on taking many internal flights as I’ve heard about and have experienced (on the one internal flight I’ve done) the terrible delays and cancellations that plague internal flights in China. This means no weekends away around China for me if I can’t take the excellent train. This country’s loss.

So let me report my experience this weekend flying to Taipei. I checked in on line under MH but went to the business class check in to get a paper boarding pass. She reprinted it with my CX FF # and didn’t give me a lounge invitation saying I could use my MH gold card to get in. It worked. It also worked in the priority boarding queue.

I then checking in for the return flight on my phone while waiting to leave. It identified me as CX but still kept the advance seat reservation I made under MH some time ago. All good.

At Taipei i again went to the business class queue showing my MH gold card and asked for a paper boarding pass. She proactively changed me to MH to print a lounge invite and then changed me back to CX for the printed boarding pass. I don’t know if the lounge would have accepted my MH gold card instead but I suspect it would because it’s a Cathay own lounge at Taipei (and an excellent one at that).

So so I think this is it. I will reserve as MH enabling advance seat selection and then swap at check in in HK so my boarding passes reflect CX. Of course my MH status could all be over by end March and this process will be moot.