Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

CX V class flight eligible for 100% mileage but zero with MH Enrich

CX V class flight eligible for 100% mileage but zero with MH Enrich

Old Dec 5, 17, 3:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shenzhen
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Posts: 854
CX V class flight eligible for 100% mileage but zero with MH Enrich

I've just had a reply from MH Enrich that my AMS-HKG flight in V class is ineligible for any Enrich miles.

They helpfully included a table from the web site that does not feature V as an eligible fare (H, K and M are listed as discounted by Enrich - no mention of L, V, S, N or Q).

Checking Cathay's web site and I'd get 100% Asia Miles for a V class fare:
  • Economy Class (100%) : Y, B, H, K, M, L, V
  • Economy Class (25%) : S, N, Q
I'm likely to be using Cathay more in the future but is this type of behaviour normal within OneWorld? It seems to go against the spirit of the programme. What's going on?
ftrichard is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,152
Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
I've just had a reply from MH Enrich that my AMS-HKG flight in V class is ineligible for any Enrich miles.

They helpfully included a table from the web site that does not feature V as an eligible fare (H, K and M are listed as discounted by Enrich - no mention of L, V, S, N or Q).

Checking Cathay's web site and I'd get 100% Asia Miles for a V class fare:
  • Economy Class (100%) : Y, B, H, K, M, L, V
  • Economy Class (25%) : S, N, Q
I'm likely to be using Cathay more in the future but is this type of behaviour normal within OneWorld? It seems to go against the spirit of the programme. What's going on?
Yes, this behaviour is normal
I know for certain that with the AA and QF frequent flyer programmes, the earning on partner airlines are significantly below the earnings on the 'home airlines'
pandaperth is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:12 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,219
Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
I've just had a reply from MH Enrich that my AMS-HKG flight in V class is ineligible for any Enrich miles.
They helpfully included a table from the web site that does not feature V as an eligible fare (H, K and M are listed as discounted by Enrich - no mention of L, V, S, N or Q).

Checking Cathay's web site and I'd get 100% Asia Miles for a V class fare:
  • Economy Class (100%) : Y, B, H, K, M, L, V
  • Economy Class (25%) : S, N, Q
I'm likely to be using Cathay more in the future but is this type of behaviour normal within OneWorld?
It seems to go against the spirit of the programme.
What's going on?
As you have done need to check the MH web site to determine what MH allocate for CX flights
A guide
http://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways/v
http://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways/l L class is used on the OW RTW ticket

CX is well known in OW airlines for award nil or a low % ff miles for many discount cheaper flights.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 5,732
None of the three major alliances have a single earnings table. It appears you thought OW did - or should have. Nice idea....undoubtedly, just not the case.

Any time one buys a ticket....particularly a discount fare.... its important to check what (if anything) it will earn where you wish to credit it.
trooper is online now  
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Posts: 2,854
Are you a member of any other oneworld airline programmes? You could try retro-crediting your flight there instead if you were a member at the time you took the flight.

If you weren't a member of any others at the time, it's probably a loss now, as most programmes don't allow crediting from before you joined, although CX might since it was their own flight.

While MH may be your primary programme, it can sometimes make sense to have a secondary or additional programme(s) even in the same alliance, just for this type of situation. If you'd rather not have multiple programmes to keep track of, then some fares just aren't going to earn you any miles, but it can still be worth adding your MH number anyway, especially if you have status, etc. You never know, MH might update the eligible classes one day, and if your number wasn't in there because it didn't earn before then you'd miss out.
JAXBA is offline  
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:22 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shenzhen
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
Are you a member of any other oneworld airline programmes? You could try retro-crediting your flight there instead if you were a member at the time you took the flight.

If you weren't a member of any others at the time, it's probably a loss now, as most programmes don't allow crediting from before you joined, although CX might since it was their own flight.

While MH may be your primary programme, it can sometimes make sense to have a secondary or additional programme(s) even in the same alliance, just for this type of situation. If you'd rather not have multiple programmes to keep track of, then some fares just aren't going to earn you any miles, but it can still be worth adding your MH number anyway, especially if you have status, etc. You never know, MH might update the eligible classes one day, and if your number wasn't in there because it didn't earn before then you'd miss out.
That's a good idea. TBH, I've not encountered this before. I've used Qatar, BA and Royal Jordanian and got credit for flights with Enrich (and Emirates - no tier points) so I've not looked out for this before. While rules are rules, I don't understand how flights can be eligible for 100% miles on the carrying OneWorld airline but not in the partner programme. No matter, it is what it is.

I moved to Shenzhen this year so HKG is my nearest airport and CX will be my dominant carrier moving forward so makes sense to open with them if the majority of my CX flights will not credit to MH. Which, now I know to check, they won't.

Thanks.
JAXBA likes this.
ftrichard is offline  
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:30 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,737
Using AAdvantage, you can only start earning miles on CX with H, B and Y classes in economy. So that's even worse than MH Enrich.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Dec 27, 17, 4:09 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shenzhen
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Posts: 854
So, to close the discussion. I opened a Marco Polo account for $100 (I had an Asia Miles account dormant from some years ago).

Online I applied for and was credited for the missing AMS-HKG segment and my HKG-HAN-HKG return despite the reservation still carrying my MH FF number (though uncredited for any flight) so somebody worked out correctly what had happened and what I was doing. I was expecting a discussion but no.

The best process now is to book the CX flight with my MH Gold FF number so I can make a seat selection and check in but then go to the check in desk at HKG and get a new boarding pass with my Marco Polo number on. I can use the MH card to get into the lounge both legs.

Life is good again. And I will be CX Silver by May so lounge access will be restored.
ftrichard is offline  
Old Dec 27, 17, 8:52 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,737
Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
So, to close the discussion. I opened a Marco Polo account for $100 (I had an Asia Miles account dormant from some years ago).

Online I applied for and was credited for the missing AMS-HKG segment and my HKG-HAN-HKG return despite the reservation still carrying my MH FF number (though uncredited for any flight) so somebody worked out correctly what had happened and what I was doing. I was expecting a discussion but no.

The best process now is to book the CX flight with my MH Gold FF number so I can make a seat selection and check in but then go to the check in desk at HKG and get a new boarding pass with my Marco Polo number on. I can use the MH card to get into the lounge both legs.

Life is good again. And I will be CX Silver by May so lounge access will be restored.
Better still....
1) Make your next CX booking. Don't put any FFP on it.
2) Call CX and get CX to status match with your MH Gold card. You should be able to get get at least status matched to MPC Silver.
3) Then call RES and add your 'new' MPC Silver card # on it and get seat selection and lounge access.

All good then.

As for your previous claim. You must write to CX with your information and explain to them that MH has denied your mileage accrual and therefore you will like your miles to be credited to AM instead if they reject your missing mileage claim. AM might want a formal letter from MH Enrich to say that no miles has been credited because AM would not know what the conditions of MH Enrich is. They will only see that the booking has your MH number on it already.

Good luck.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:42 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shenzhen
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Better still....
1) Make your next CX booking. Don't put any FFP on it.
2) Call CX and get CX to status match with your MH Gold card. You should be able to get get at least status matched to MPC Silver.
3) Then call RES and add your 'new' MPC Silver card # on it and get seat selection and lounge access.

All good then.

As for your previous claim. You must write to CX with your information and explain to them that MH has denied your mileage accrual and therefore you will like your miles to be credited to AM instead if they reject your missing mileage claim. AM might want a formal letter from MH Enrich to say that no miles has been credited because AM would not know what the conditions of MH Enrich is. They will only see that the booking has your MH number on it already.

Good luck.
Nice. I'll try the status match call before my next flight in January. Nothing to lose. Actually, I'll only be without lounge access from end-March to mid-May if Enrich doesn't renew me as Gold for 2018 and I have some free Lounge Key passes for HKG although the Plaza Premiers are nothing compared to the bar in the Pier.

Surprisingly, all I had to do to get the CX credit for the CX flights that were originally tagged with my MH FF number was fill in the form on the Marco Polo web site for the three missing sectors. I did this the second week of December for a return sector from AMS in September (the outward flight had credited to MH already) and both sectors to and from Hanoi the first week of December. I didn't have to contact them personally or explain anything. I was expecting to get into a discussion with them but it was easily provable: the MH web site clearly lists the CX fare classes that qualify (I now know) and I had an email from them rejecting the missing miles claim that pointed me to the eligible fare class list. It was this list that provoked me to transition from MH to CX.

Whoever received the missing miles requests at CX had a brain.
ftrichard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread