Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Any disadvantages to buying RTW ticket in home currency rather than county of origin?

Any disadvantages to buying RTW ticket in home currency rather than county of origin?

Old Sep 19, 17, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat

Since OW changed the rules so that you can get your RTW ticket converted from country of origin to county of purchase -- in my case an AONE4 ex TYO paid in New Zealand Dollars - I was wondering what happens with re-routing calculations once the first flight has been flown .
I never change my first flight either date or routing but often change my routing after this .
If I change my routing after the first flight am I possibly exposing myself to hefty extra costs if the NZ dollar has depreciated in the meantime against the yen ?
I know there is the 125 USD reissue fee and any difference in taxes but would the base fare be involved ie recalculated at the exchange rate at time of the reissue or is that not a factor ?
I would be getting the ticket convered from Japanese yen to NZD to save the currency exchange fees which are usually in the region of 500 NZD or so but could I potentially exposing myself to greater costs down the line should I do a reissue and the NZD has sunk against the yen
Hope the above makes sense and hope someone can shed some light on it asap as I need to get the ticket issued asap !
Huge thanks as ever to all.
Old Sep 19, 17, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
It's only a factor if you increase the number of continents. But even then I believe it would be defined in the currency of the originating country, with the current exchange rate applied to the difference if you wish.
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by christep View Post
It's only a factor if you increase the number of continents. But even then I believe it would be defined in the currency of the originating country, with the current exchange rate applied to the difference if you wish.
Yes. In my experience it is always calculated in the currency of the originating country - when you add a continent the fare on the original purchase date is used, not the current fare.
This is then converted into 'your' rate at the normal rate for tickets.

This could work against you. If for example you bought a ticket in a different currency, cancel it when the currency is lower than on the purchase date you would get less back, if the currency goes up otherwise you potentially make some money.
Old Sep 20, 17, 6:09 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pianoperson View Post
I know there is the 125 USD reissue fee and any difference in taxes but would the base fare be involved ie recalculated at the exchange rate at time of the reissue or is that not a factor ?
I am currently on an ex-MPM DONE6
which I paid for AUD (so converted from MZN to AUD)
After the first two flights, I made major re-routing changes to the remainder of the ticket (the changes did not include changing the number of continents)

There was no recalculation of the base fare
Just the USD125 change fee
Plus a recalculation of the taxes etc
Old Sep 20, 17, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
I am currently on an ex-MPM DONE6
which I paid for AUD (so converted from MZN to AUD)
After the first two flights, I made major re-routing changes to the remainder of the ticket (the changes did not include changing the number of continents)

There was no recalculation of the base fare
Just the USD125 change fee
Plus a recalculation of the taxes etc
Same experience here. The ticket is issued in the currency of the originating country and only converted for payment.
If you don't change the number of continents the fare does not change. Even if the exchangerate has changed there is no additional fee/refund because of that.

If you add continents you just pay the delta between the two fares at the time when the ticket was originally issued - converted to whatever currency you pay in.

Search this Thread