FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Cross-Partner Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/185563-cross-partner-upgrades.html)

robb Feb 19, 2002 12:16 pm

Cross-Partner Upgrades

I couldn't find this info clearly laid out on aa.com, so I thought you would be the ones to know this answer.

Can you use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on other OneWorld Partners? If yes, what are the rules/mileage charts?

I'm trying to get from US - India on somewhat short notice and an upgrade is of paramount importance to me. UA won't let me upgrade on *A partners (except LH, which has rules that virtually eliminate it as a possibility) using MP miles. If I could get miles from an AA member, could I upgrade on BA or Cathay Pacific?

Thanks

YVR Cockroach Feb 19, 2002 12:25 pm

See the AA member guide, using miles on airlines.

You can upgrade on CX using AA miles. 40k J=>F r/t, 25k Y=>J r/t. Note that the Y fare is full Y, Y2 or YX2.

Guy Betsy Feb 19, 2002 11:30 pm

Using ASIAMILES, you can upgrade on CX and BA on any fare.

Jed Feb 21, 2002 3:09 am

Using AA miles, you can upgrade on CX as Terenz outlines. You cannot upgrade BA flights using AA miles.

leroy11 Jul 6, 2002 4:12 am

From what I've read on the various airline web-sites, it does not seem to be possible to use AA or BA (or for that matter any miles that do not belong to the "home" airline) to upgrade LanChile or Qantas flights. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Guy Betsy Jul 6, 2002 8:18 pm

YES.

FewMiles Jul 9, 2002 1:40 pm

In addition to what terenz writes, your full Y or J CX fare must be issued on AA ticket stock (001) in order to use the AAdv upgrade award. (I recently learned this somewhere on the AA forum.)

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]

leroy11 Aug 2, 2002 2:17 am

Does anyone know if the "M" class used for RTW Coach fares is eligible for upgrade on LanChile using LanPass miles? I know they have upgrade awards - I just want to know what fare classes are valid. Thanks!

christep Aug 2, 2002 4:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Using ASIAMILES, you can upgrade on CX and BA on any fare.</font>
Not true. On CX, the underlying economy ticket muct be in Y, H, B, K, L, M, or S.

In other words it must be one of the fares that is itself mileage accruing.

Guy Betsy Aug 2, 2002 9:37 am

What I meant to say was : Asiamiles permits upgrading on MOST fares on CX and BA.

But on QUALIFLYER, you can upgrade on CX on all fares... including the non-mileage earning ones! In theory you can't. But it has been done unintentionally.

benoit Aug 2, 2002 10:15 am

How about British and Qantas airways FF programs. Can they each only upgrade their own flights? Or other one world as well?

NM Aug 3, 2002 9:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
How about British and Qantas airways FF programs. Can they each only upgrade their own flights? Or other one world as well?</font>
Qantas FF's may only upgrade on QF flight number operated by QF metal. BA (non US members) cannot buy an upgrade. BS US members can only buy an upgrade from certain classes, and I think that M (OWE) is not allowed. BA upgrades for US members is only a single-class upgrade, so from WT you only get into WT+ not into CW.

Dave Noble Aug 4, 2002 3:30 am

"BA US members can only buy an upgrade from certain classes, and I think that M (OWE) is not allowed."

Indeed. It is only from full fare Y economy fares.

"BA upgrades for US members is only a single-class upgrade, so from WT you only get into WT+ not into CW"

Not exactly true. If travelling on a route without WT+ ( e.g. all routes to LGW ) then the upgrade is to Club World.

Dave

jakob Aug 6, 2002 3:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by christep:
Not true. On CX, the underlying economy ticket muct be in Y, H, B, K, L, M, or S.

In other words it must be one of the fares that is itself mileage accruing.
</font>
does this apply to only Canadian AA members?
i mean since only Canadian members can
accrue points with AA on Y, H, B, K, L. M,
and S class.

leroy11 Aug 6, 2002 3:49 am

I believe those are the fare classes that are eligible for accrual in Asia Miles regardless of where you live.