FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   change in policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/185412-change-policy.html)

hvd Apr 23, 02 3:19 pm

change in policy

I just tried purchasing my RTW ex YYZ that I had reserved back in January only to be told that as of April 15 this ticket had to be purchased in Canada. Anybody else had this experience? Does this change in policy affecting a reserved ticket seem fair? Without notice?

JohnAx Apr 23, 02 4:11 pm

Hopefully one of the pundits will pop in with an answer, meanwhile, who did you ask? Quoting the effectivity date makes it sound like they knew what they were talking about, but maybe not. If it's true, a CA TA may know how to ease the pain.

Darren Apr 23, 02 4:38 pm

To answer your question, the rate is good for 24h. If it changes, you are sol. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif But I too hope that this was not a change. If so, then there is no longer much of an incentive to take this trip. If they are going to make it such of a pain in the butt, why are they even offering it?

hvd Apr 23, 02 5:07 pm

To clarify further - I can purchase in the U.S. but at U.S. price which, as most of you know is about $1,000 more expensive on a first class ticket.

FewMiles Apr 23, 02 6:19 pm

The latest info I have still is the old rules, unless it's changed in the last 10 days.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
From N*/OW FARES INDEX dated 08Jan02:
25N APPLICATION OF FARES
26N .
27N THE FARE PAID IS APPLICABLE WHEN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
28N ACTUALLY COMMENCES IN THE COUNTRY OF THE POINT OF ORIGIN
29N SHOWN ON THE TICKET. IF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ACTUALLY
30N COMMENCES IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, THE FARE MUST BE
31N REASSESSED FROM SUCH COUNTRY.
32N .
33N 1. THE FARE TO BE CHARGED IS DETERMINED BY THE NUMBER
34N . OF CONTINENTS IN THE ITINERARY (INCLUDING CONTINENT
35N . OF ORIGIN).
36N .
37N 2. APPLICABLE FOR SALES MADE IN US (INCLUDING PR/VI AND
38N . CANADA)
39N . WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN A COUNTRY FOR WHICH A
40N . SPECIFIED LOCAL CURRENCY FARE IS PUBLISHED AND TICKET
41N . IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, THE FARE WILL BE THAT
42N . PUBLISHED FOR THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN CONVERTED TO THE
43N . CURRENCY OF THE COUNTRY OF SALE AT THE BANK SELLING
44N . RATE.
45N .
46N 3. NOT APPLICABLE FOR SALES MADE IN THE US (INCLUDING
47N . PR/VI)/CANADA.
48N . WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN A COUNTRY FOR WHICH A
49N . SPECIFIED LOCAL CURRENCY FARE IS PUBLISHED AND
50N . TICKET IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, THE EQUIVALENT
51N . AMOUNT MUST BE THE FARE CONVERTED USING THE BSR OR
52N . THE FARE APPLICABLE FOR ORIGIN IN THE COUNTRY OF
53N . SALE, WHICHEVER IS HIGHER.</font>
A big update to the Unofficial oneworld Infor Desk coming soon...

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]

RTW4 Apr 23, 02 9:02 pm

If this is true this a MAJOR change. I will have to call AA RTW desk and see if they have changed the rules about buying RTW tickets here in the US at the ex-country fare!

hvd Apr 24, 02 7:05 am

FewMiles,

Although those may have been and continue to be the rules they were certainly not enforced this last year or so when it was possible to purchase a RTW ex Canada at Canada rate from U.S. In interpreting the rules the key question is where does trip begin. If one travel once or several times a month it is hard to say where exactly your trip begins. If the rule were keyed to domicile or residence that might be another issue.

At any rate, does anyone know a good Canadian travel agent?

Darren Apr 24, 02 10:01 am

Huh?

HVD, you could purchase an RTW in the US or Canada at the rate of whatever country you were departing from.

37N 2. APPLICABLE FOR SALES MADE IN US (INCLUDING PR/VI AND
38N . CANADA)
39N . WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN A COUNTRY FOR WHICH A
40N . SPECIFIED LOCAL CURRENCY FARE IS PUBLISHED AND TICKET
41N . IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, THE FARE WILL BE THAT
42N . PUBLISHED FOR THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN CONVERTED TO THE
43N . CURRENCY OF THE COUNTRY OF SALE AT THE BANK SELLING
44N . RATE.

That is what this all means. The point of departure has nothing to do with domicile or anything else, it has to do with the first border you cross. The difference between US/CA and the rest of the world, is that if the rest of the world wanted to buy an RTW from a country with a lower fare, they would have to ticket it in that country. And if the rules changed for US/CA, the residents there will have to also. So if they want a cheaper ZA originating fare, they would have to go to South Africa for ticketing or have it ticketed in South Africa and mailed to them. These were always the rules, and it had nothing to do with getting around the rules, the airlines were following their own rules.

hvd Apr 24, 02 10:32 am

Darren,

Thanks. I see your point. I had read the first para of fewmiles posting as imposing a presumption of origin in the country of purchase which had not been applied. I guess not.

I guess what has happened is that clause 2 of the rules is now history and clause 3 now applies to all purchases made in U.S. and Canada. Thus, U.S. rate will apply to all purchases made here.

Again, do you know a good Canadian travel agent?

JohnAx Apr 24, 02 12:00 pm

Send me your email and I'll pass along the name of the one I use