FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Lifetime status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/185385-lifetime-status.html)

Hagbard Viking Mar 19, 2002 12:01 pm

Lifetime status

What 1W FF programmes offer lifetime status? The ones I'm aware of are AA and QF.

Toxa Mar 19, 2002 1:38 pm

I know from FT that BA offers lifetime gold at some very high points threshold, but I don't remember if UK or US program. For sure Merry knows more about it.

[Edited for sp]

[This message has been edited by Toxa (edited 03-19-2002).]

NM Mar 19, 2002 2:58 pm

QF offer Silver or Gold Lifetime status only. They don't offer Platinum lifetime status.

But you need a lot of flying for Gold lifetime (14,000 tier credits). Silver is 7,000.

I've been QF top tier for at least 6 years now and am only just lifetime silver (7559 tier lifetime tier credits). So at this rate it will take me 10-12 years of top tier to reach lifetime Gold.

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 03-19-2002).]

Guy Betsy Mar 24, 2002 3:32 pm

CX also has Lifetime Diamond, but that is almost an impossible tier to reach if you have no status on CX now. It's also a "By Invitation Only" card.

satish_ny Mar 24, 2002 4:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Toxa:
I know from FT that BA offers lifetime gold at some very high points threshold, but I don't remember if UK or US program. For sure Merry knows more about it.
</font>

I have friends who have consistently flown in excess of 40,000 to 50,000 actual premium class miles per year on British Airways for the past ten years or more. If I were to hazard a guess each one of them have in excess of two million lifetime miles and 25,000 lifetime tier points each. BA has not offered them any special status. I am not sure what their criteria for lifetime status would be.

[This message has been edited by satish_ny (edited 03-24-2002).]

Cam Mar 26, 2002 1:29 pm

I phoned the BA Executive Gold desk and they flat-out said that they no longer have such an award.

Worldtraveler36 Mar 26, 2002 6:03 pm

Hello all. Good board. I gained lifetime AA status when I hit 1 million miles. This gives me lifetime Gold(not sure of O/W equivalent, sorry).

2 million gives you lifetime Platinum(Sapphire), which would be nice. I really don't have any interest in Gold status(25K), not enough perks, etc.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
HH GLD, SCI GLD, MM SIL
LE PRESIDENT ETERNEL DE CAMAIR-CAMEROUN AIRLINES :)

Merry Mar 27, 2002 8:22 am

Just to clarify the BA lifetime question. There used to be lifetime Gold and Lifetime Premier status available, although the qualification for Gold was never published (25,000 lifetime points would be nowhere near enough - many of us do more than that a year!).

However, lifetime Gold and Lifetime Premier were abolished about 3 years ago.

You are able to identify a Lifetime BA Gold or Prem by the third and fourth digit of their membership number being 1 and 0.

Lifetime Gold used to be offered upon retirement to very loyal BA customers and lifetime Premier was offered to business figures who were unlikely to go out of fashion, as oppposed to someone who is Chairman of a bank for six months and then is never heard of again.

Nick

satish_ny Mar 27, 2002 9:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
Just to clarify the BA lifetime question. There used to be lifetime Gold and Lifetime Premier status available, although the qualification for Gold was never published (25,000 lifetime points would be nowhere near enough - many of us do more than that a year!).

Nick
</font>
You currently get 180 points for flying between the US & UK in First. What you say would indicate that "many of you" fly the equivalent of 139 transatlantic segments every year or more than one transatlantic segment every three days on average! That is an incredible amount of flying if you do not work for BA!

[This message has been edited by satish_ny (edited 03-27-2002).]

satish_ny Mar 27, 2002 9:31 pm

[This message has been edited by satish_ny (edited 03-27-2002).]

number_6 Mar 27, 2002 9:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by satish_ny:
You currently get 180 points for flying between the US & UK in First. What you say would indicate that "many of you" fly the equivalent of 139 transatlantic segments every year or more than one transatlantic segment every three days on average!</font>
Concorde is 250 points, so once a week is 25000 points per year. Add a connection at each end (GVA-LHR-JFK-DCA for example), and it becomes over 35000 points per year. But BA is having trouble filling the Concorde, I just got an email a few minutes ago offering a discount on the Concorde.

Darren Mar 27, 2002 10:52 pm

How much?

sunseeker Mar 27, 2002 10:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
I just got an email a few minutes ago offering a discount on the Concorde.
[/B]</font>
What exactly does it say?

Merry Mar 28, 2002 5:28 am

satish_ny: Yes a lot of travelling, but take the last 7 days for example:

Saturday: Heathrow - Vancouver (240 points)
Monday: Vancouver - Heathrow (240 points)
Tuesday: Birmingham-Zurich (60 points)
Wednesday: Zurich - Birmingham (60 points)
Today: Birmingham-Frankfurt-Birmingham (60 points)
Tomorrow: Birmingham-Paris-Birmingham (60 points)

That is 720 points and a typical week. If you start adding in a few Concorde day returns, the magic 35,000 points becomes achievable.

For three years I commuted each week from London to Houston (in First), without any side-trips or US domestic on AA, that brings you pretty close to 20,000 points.

There are plenty of people out there who do that amount of travelling with BA.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 03-28-2002).]

hfly Mar 28, 2002 8:14 am

Yes plenty.......In 2000 there were about 400 (worldwide), last year about 250. This year.......we'll see!!!