Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

ONE WORLD FALLING APART! Source:Industry newsletter

Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Source: E- mail from Frequent flier crier.
Unfortunately, (for us), this weekly e mail tends to be fairly astute with regard to industry trends. According to it, BA having been shot down by U.K. Avation regulators on a more friendly relationship with AA( including codesharing with AA) is looking to dump 1W infavor or Wings alliance with NW/KLM.

They also provide very recent quotes from top officials at both Iberia & Cathy Pacific
as being very discontent and seriously reviewing their options.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by writetorich:
BA is looking to dump 1W infavor or Wings alliance with NW/KLM. Quotes from top officials at both Iberia & Cathy Pacific
as being very discontent and seriously reviewing their options.
</font>
Read the same thing in a Dutch newspaper this morning ;=((
Old Feb 1, 2002, 4:06 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
IF BA pull out of OW, how much notice do they have to give? Also, how long do they have to honour OWE RTW tickets after leaving? I have a RTW starting in Dec 02 and don't plan on ending until DEC 03.

[This message has been edited by Gaza (edited 02-01-2002).]
Old Feb 1, 2002, 4:07 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Oops! Double post

Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:23 am

BA has always been useless as far as AAdvantage was concerned for trans-Atlantic and they've always had very little respect for Elites from AA, QF and CX to name a few. I doubt that US flyers will feel too sorry to see BA go.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:45 am

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
I doubt that US flyers will feel too sorry to see BA go.</font>
I would be terribly sorry to see BA leave OW. Speaking as an AA EXP and regular BA flyer, I don't think they treat non-BA elites any better ror any worse than the other members of the OW alliance. Regardless, they have a network reach that is second to none and their service is (at a minimum) good. Without BA, Africa, the middle East and much of Europe drop from the OW route map.

Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:58 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
IF BA pull out of OW, how much notice do they have to give? Also, how long do they have to honour OWE RTW tickets after leaving? I have a RTW starting in Dec 02 and don't plan on ending until DEC 03.

</font>
Gaza,

I would think that all tickets would be full honored. Absolutely no problem. mileage accural as well.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 8:50 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, the demise of "One World" has long been rumoured!

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000322.html
Old Feb 1, 2002, 10:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OWdevotee:
I would be terribly sorry to see BA leave OW. Speaking as an AA EXP and regular BA flyer, I don't think they treat non-BA elites any better ror any worse than the other members of the OW alliance. Regardless, they have a network reach that is second to none and their service is (at a minimum) good. Without BA, Africa, the middle East and much of Europe drop from the OW route map.

</font>
I agree! BA treated me quite well on my last 6 flights with them in the past two months or so when I showed my AA EXP card. It is AA that didn't let me into their flagship lounge, until I ask .... BA invited me over to their F lounges. I agree with Spider on the transatlantic flight issue but even with that problem, I still would feel sorry to see BA leave oneworld.... It is a good airline.

I personally don't mind Iberia going anywhere else... For me, as long as CX, BA and AA remain, it'll be good. CX and BA for their services and AA, not for its services but for its FFP only.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
It would be nice if Swissair and Japan Airlines joined OW.

Both do not belong to an alliance yet both have a partnership with AA.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 12:41 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
It would be nice if Swissair and Japan Airlines joined OW.

Both do not belong to an alliance yet both have a partnership with AA.
</font>
Hmmm... Swissair? I think I remember them. Are you sure you don't mean Swiss?

Couldn't agree more. If BA drop out, Swiss would be some slight consolation.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 12:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OWdevotee:
Hmmm... Swissair? I think I remember them. Are you sure you don't mean Swiss?

Couldn't agree more. If BA drop out, Swiss would be some slight consolation.
</font>
Service on Swissair (Swiss) is awesome, even in economy. If I wasn't such an elite-mileage slave, I would fly Swissair all the time when crossing the Atlantic.

Service on JAL isn't bad either.

I wonder what Iberia is like...

A hub in Tokyo would obviously be a great asset for AA. What do you think about a hub in Zurich?

[This message has been edited by francophile (edited 02-01-2002).]
Old Feb 1, 2002, 1:23 pm

I would hate to see BA go but I really believe that two or more new members can fill the void. Both Virgin and Swissair have a limited number of routes but they cover a very wide area. And historically the service on both has been good or very good.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even the most die hard Swissair supporters over at the Qualiflier board acknowledge that Swissair's service over the last 5 years or so went totally down the toilet. Wake up its 2002.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 3:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Even the most die hard Swissair supporters over at the Qualiflier board acknowledge that Swissair's service over the last 5 years or so went totally down the toilet. Wake up its 2002.</font>

That's strange. The Flyertalk Trip Reports continually praise the service on Swissair. Readers of Conde Nast Traveler rate it #4 in the world for 2001. Travel + Leisure rate it #3 for 2001.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.